Yoda's Recirculating bubble Buckets

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Yoda, May 15, 2010.

1. :hello::hello::hello: Very nice job. Good idea making the drain lines in the res short and long. I didn't think about that when building mine. I am going to change that today. The nute schedule is awesome. I am sure a lot of us blades will be looking into that!!!

2. Bud, you have turned my frown upside down... Awesome tutorial... really. Ive been pulling my hair out trying to decide on how I wanna flower my beautiful lemon skunk clones. On my way to the hydro store as soon as im done writing :cool:.

3. Thanks mate...and yes i was ..lol;)

'

Thank you Mr August.... appreciate ur patience man;)...

Hiya Stik E... when ya gonna stop being a shadow round here...LOl..:p
    Works prety good man... easy to adjust to also..;)

good deal.... like i said any questions let me know.. we should be able to get a few people thru it and find any loose ends i may have left out...:smoking::smoking:
    I bet ur babies will love buckets:D

4. #24 Grasshumper, May 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2010
    ok here comes the first question. why the res? is it because you are used to using one from your flood table days? i couldnt use one in my set up cause as always i have all my plants at different stages. it just scares me to have everything at the same pace cause when its over you got nothing to look at except seedling again. if there are some added bennifits to having a res this would be good to know now before i start my last 8 buckets. otherwise i will keep them the way i am going so i can fit more buckets. cause i got weed greed:p

+rep for the thread it will save some people a couple hundred bucks so they try the diy before they spend all the money on a prefab set up like my friend steve who now regrets his decision to spend that much:smoking:

also i would like to add that the prefab lids with net pots while they are nice to look at. if you separate the pots so they can be moved around, you can have 2 and 4 pot veggers like i do and save space and nutes.

5. The res simplifies it
    with single bucket you have to fill each bucket daily...
    you have to open the bucket or lift the net pot, check ph and such after you add...
    With the res open the lid, monitor, fill whatever you need to do...once ur paying attention to hydro you shouldnt have issues and when you do they can be fixed very quick so i dont worry to much about possible issues among the 4... daily visual and ph , ppm checks all issues will be caught before damage..imo....
    you skip a few days maybe see some if ur res isnt stable...
    another good reason for the res..more water= more stable...less fluxuation in water...
    the res with water moving is also a fail safe...if your air pump goes out the plants will live days without one, prob would do just fine...

not be able to move them is a drawback.. but im scroggem em so they wont be traveling much....the extra res room i guess thats a draw back...you can even use a bucket for it... so i mean you have to weih it all out for yourself...
    there are many ways to skin a cat...;)

6. cool you coulda just said it makes a scrog possible and that would have done it for me. cause it would be a pain in the butt to have to change water in the buckets with out one. i will give it some serious consideration for my 6 bucket set up. do you see a problem with me sticking with the 3 1/2 gallon buckets?

7. no i see no issue,,, 6 can go on one res also...fyi...;)

8. is the recirc pump going all the time gonna bring up the res temp?

9. #29 nira, May 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
    thanks for the re - up!!!! pics whoo:D

great job,

quick question, say ive got it all on par, and i want to leave mmy plants for a week, would the res keep the water levels good in the buckets for that long?

also. when i am around, does the recirc pump need to go 24/7 like the air pump?

ooh yes, also if my ambient temp is cool . i.e. winter, can i add res heaters and the plants will be betteR?

thanks

10. use a small pump like i showed and it wonr bring it up enough to worry about, i cover the top of the buckets with mylar and the res,, temps stay nice and cool...

with the 18 gallon i have yes you can leave it a week..no worries,,, with a 5 gallon bucket as a res i wouldnt leave them no longer then two days,,IMO
    yes a heater in the winter wil be needed if ambient temps drop below 64 degrees..imo
    i would let the pump go all the time, it keeps the nutes and ph in check...
    the plants may take up diff nute amounts and the circulation keeps it stable,,,ill kill the bubbles before i would the circulation.. but both is best,,

11. #31 nira, May 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
    when you addback to the res, are you just adding plain water or 50% nutrient etc.

also whats this calmag stuff?

How come you use grommets, how come they dnt leak.. I've hear people use screw on taps with o rings and ptft tape and with hastle...

Also, like ur way a lot defo gonna do it! But say for instance I want to take one bucket out and use it as a single dwc what do you suggest I do?
    Put an in line tap into the rubber tubing goin out the bottttom of the dwc containers? Or take it out put a 90 angle and attach it to the ffill in pipe higher up on the dwc bucket?

Also, lastly I see these oxypot ready made ones use 16ltr - 3 gal pots.
    Could I get away with using 16 ltr/3gal or even 20ltr/4gal instead of 25ltr/5gal pots?

thanks

12. OK, so I had a very pleasant adventure to the hydro store yesterday. I made myself a list of everything needed to make 2 of em... and I just handed the list to the store owner and he did everything for me. They had everything there and I didnt have to go around looking for crap. I even picked up a nice 1k watt aircooled switchable setup for cheeeeeap (even talked him in to giving me the HPS/MH bulbs for free)

I do have a question about bucket spacing...

My flowering room is 5x6 and ill be using the 1k watter. Ill be running (2) 4 bucket setups. I plan to FIM the ladies 1 week into flowering. How far apart should I run my buckets?

13. I have an idea for ya SLiNGER, keep in mind I'm no engineer but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night;)

If, and this may not be possible for reasons I don't yet know but if you were to switch your inflowing manifold system to the bottom holes and have your return lines come back out of the top holes drilled at the precise level you want the water at in the buckets. Wouldn't this maintain consistant water levels in the buckets regardless of the water level in the reservoir?
    This would mean less maintenance overall? Am I onto something here?? Is there a reason why this wouldn't work??

I have been told I tend to over analyze things but I think this would work great. Either that or I'm too stoned again....lol :D:smoking:

14. All done :hello: Everything was cake except for pushing the tubing through those grommets... what a pain in the arse that was. They definitely dont leak though, so thats good.

15. Use your spit!!! It works

16. :laughing::laughing:im no water engineer either...lol..i had to theory ...then test..theory retest,,LOL

ya kind of lost me there.. should be the same maintenance unless ive missed sumthing..
    you still had a res and buckets right?

No worries man.. things are always running thru my head..
    i over analyze everything, in the end it makes for less work so..
    keep them wheels turning man.. ;):D

yeah what he said down here....
    hes a bucket head...:laughing::laughing:

whats up fellow bucket head...LOL:wave:

17. bud u forgot about meeee

when you addback to the res, are you just adding plain water or 50% nutrient etc.

also whats this calmag stuff?

How come you use grommets, how come they dnt leak.. I've hear people use screw on taps with o rings and ptft tape and with hastle...

Also, like ur way a lot defo gonna do it! But say for instance I want to take one bucket out and use it as a single dwc what do you suggest I do?
    Put an in line tap into the rubber tubing goin out the bottttom of the dwc containers? Or take it out put a 90 angle and attach it to the ffill in pipe higher up on the dwc bucket?

Also, lastly I see these oxypot ready made ones use 16ltr - 3 gal pots.
    Could I get away with using 16 ltr/3gal or even 20ltr/4gal instead of 25ltr/5gal pots?

18. :eek:...i plead stoned and confused..

Add backs are generally just water.. keep in mind as i said up there you have to monitor the ppms to know when to add ferts and when to thin ur mix.

calmag is an additive to replace the calcium and mag that will lift from the water, the aeration causes these to evaporate so to speak...

The grommets dont leak because this is what they are designed for..,
    they work great and simplifies it all, keep a few spares around but as of yet i havent heard anyone having issues with them..
    ok..if ya want a dwc make one...easy peasy...
    if ya want three buckets use the same procedure on as many buckets as you require..
    i would not recommend a modular unit that you put it on take it off at your leisure...
    but if you go that way then maybe the screw on attachments may be better...

hope i hit all ur questions man.. im gonna chack back and see i thought i covered weather or not it was clean water for the add backs..let me know what ya decide..

19. slinger,
    hell of a job on this, a real recirc bubble bucket...very nice! i like this system better than the reg BB...you could take this thing to a next level as well with bigger res and more bucket's...really sweet..
    prob the best bucket DIY i've seen online bro..
    and ya gotta love those eco pump's! lol
    + rep for sharing man..:smoke:

20. Thanks Custom... Yes more buckets is easy to add... you could opt for a bigger res but wouldnt need it.. allthough it would add days to when the topping off is needed...
    The eco pumps do the job, not top of the line but they are cheap enough to keep spares...;)
    Appreciate the kind words mate...