Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Homeless in Amsterdam?

• Please log in to reply

MrsEd

MrsEd

got cannapeanut butter?

• Registered Upgraded
  • 4,394 posts
We know someone that just enjoys the homeless lifestyle. He is currently in Barcelona, Spain and is now heading to Amsterdam. Does anyone know how homeless are treated in Amsterdam (especially for a non Dutch citizen)? :confused: We we were there last year, I do not remember seeing any type of homeless people about.

pawlywog

pawlywog

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Gold Member
  • 3,675 posts

Herb Hancock

Herb Hancock

• Registered Upgraded
  • 4,607 posts
It's pretty rough. They mostly sleep on park benches or in shopping malls after dark. Not many people give them money, unless they have some kind of skill or performance (musical instruments or whatever). But homeless people aren't ridiculed or bullied, people just hardly pay attention to them.

There are quite a lot of homeless shelters in Amsterdam though, and a bunch of Salvation Army places where you can sleep for the night. They won't let you in if you use harddrugs, dunno if that's a problem for your friend.

That's the most I can think of, and I'm from the Netherlands.

Guest_Tyke_*

Guest_Tyke_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In
Have you seen the movie Hostel?

MrsEd

MrsEd

got cannapeanut butter?

• Registered Upgraded
  • 4,394 posts
Thank you guys for the info on it. He does have a "performance" flare which seems to make him money along the way. :wave: :smoking: I figured it might be in the parks for his best bet for sleeping.

I have seen Hostel, tripped out movie!

Penelope420

Penelope420

i was framed

• Bronze Member
  • 10,360 posts

• MrsEd likes this

weedhead420

weedhead420

I'm just here to get high

• Registered Upgraded
  • 653 posts
my first time in amsterdam I gave the final night in my hotel room up so I could get my deposit back and go spend it on the town. I ended up taking a nap on the grassy field right beside the van gogh museum. to be honest I actually enjoyed not having a place to sleep that night, but with that said i doubt i could do it for more than 1-2 days.

Like herb said the homless people are hardly noticed over there...I have only been asked for change twice

As far as if hes a performer than there is no place better. tell him to go sit outside of central station or in dam square and he came make bank...he dosn't even have to be good at whatever he does. When I was there in april there was this old guy who would just play the zilaphone(sp?) and he even made bank.

CA MMJ

CA MMJ

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 695 posts

We know someone that just enjoys the homeless lifestyle. He is currently in Barcelona, Spain and is now heading to Amsterdam. Does anyone know how homeless are treated in Amsterdam (especially for a non Dutch citizen)? :confused: We we were there last year, I do not remember seeing any type of homeless people about.

I read an amsterdam tour guide here on grasscity the other day, some dude talked about seeing an american homeless guy in amsterdam that came up to him saying "Ey! You're my best friend, remember?" Crazy people haha

pawlywog

pawlywog

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Gold Member
  • 3,675 posts

CA MMJ

CA MMJ

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 695 posts
^ eh, IDK, in Amsterdam I think id have to buy the dude a couple shots and a joint, just because of the special occasion of me being there=p

pawlywog

pawlywog

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Gold Member
  • 3,675 posts

mrgoodsmoke

mrgoodsmoke

community organizer

• Registered Upgraded
  • 8,425 posts
I was coming out of a pizza place on a shitty side of town not long ago, and what appeared to be a homeless prostitute came up and tried, (in vain) to proposition me. I offered her a cigarette and gave her a slice of pizza and laughed and got in my car. I was like, oh that's nice but no. I mean no. No. No. No that's ok no thank you no. No.

CA MMJ

CA MMJ

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 695 posts
Ive actually smoked out a homeless dude too. I was in this tunnel under some railroad tracks with a friend (Tunnel connects under highway, so its a quick way to jay-walk under the highway. Anyways, this dude comes down there while we're burning, kinda eyeing us all weird. He was pretty scraggly lookin, so I was like "Hey man, you wanna couple hits?" Dude hella brightened up and was like "ah, thanks man! I gotta go to this job interview right now, but thanks, now i won't be as nervous!". dude got up and left, was pretty funny haha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users