Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Students punished for wearing American flags on Cinco de Mayo

• Please log in to reply

Arteezy

Arteezy

iVape ◕◡◕

• Registered Upgraded
  • 7,377 posts

Because a bunch of kids wearing American flag colors on that particular day would be like them saying "Screw your Cinco de Mayo, this is America!"

No one cares what you interpreted it as. I can interpret the principal forcing those kids to take off the shirts as saying "Screw America, this is Mexico's day to celebrate!" Why is my interpretation any less valid than yours?

The fact is that we can interpret things any way we want. We shouldn't be telling kids to take off a shirt just because it depicts our nation flag on a certain day.

JollyStoner

JollyStoner

Registered Stoner

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,438 posts

The bottom line is that we live in America

This is fucking America and the day some asshole walks up to me and tells me to remove an article of clothing with my country's flag on it, I just might punch that cocksucker in the face

Here's the e-mail I sent the principal

Oh good for you tough guy...

I have no problem with people displaying the US colors. I do it proudly myself but Im not gonna get together with a group of my friends on 1 SPECIFIC DAY where a large population of my fellow students are celebrating their heritage. its just disrespectful.

Arteezy

Arteezy

iVape ◕◡◕

• Registered Upgraded
  • 7,377 posts

Oh good for you tough guy...

I have no problem with people displaying the US colors. I do it proudly myself but Im not gonna get together with a group of my friends on 1 SPECIFIC DAY where a large population of my fellow students are celebrating their heritage. its just disrespectful.

But you will tell other people that they're not allowed to. Some people think it's disrespectful to talk with your mouth full. Some people think it's disrespectful to scratch yourself in front of a female. We should probably reprimand those people so no one gets offended or feels disrespected.

JollyStoner

JollyStoner

Registered Stoner

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,438 posts

No one cares what you interpreted it as. I can interpret the principal forcing those kids to take off the shirts as saying "Screw America, this is Mexico's day to celebrate!" Why is my interpretation any less valid than yours?

The fact is that we can interpret things any way we want. We shouldn't be telling kids to take off a shirt just because it depicts our nation flag on a certain day.

No one cares what I interpret it as? Obviously some people do thats why this whole issue came up. Its shit like this that will keep racism alive in this country forever. You're like a brick wall.

Arteezy

Arteezy

iVape ◕◡◕

• Registered Upgraded
  • 7,377 posts

No one cares what I interpret it as? Obviously some people do thats why this whole issue came up. Its shit like this that will keep racism alive in this country forever. You're like a brick wall.

You're like a brick wall. You're the reason racism is alive in this country. :wave:

JollyStoner

JollyStoner

Registered Stoner

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,438 posts

But you will tell other people that they're not allowed to. Some people think it's disrespectful to talk with your mouth full. Some people think it's disrespectful to scratch yourself in front of a female. We should probably reprimand those people so no one gets offended or feels disrespected.

You're coming up with the lamest analogies back to back.. Again, none of that shit you mentioned has anything to do with issues such as this.

Arteezy

Arteezy

iVape ◕◡◕

• Registered Upgraded
  • 7,377 posts

You're coming up with the lamest analogies back to back.. Again, none of that shit you mentioned has anything to do with issues such as this.

Great response. When you can't think of a valid response, just call my post "lame" and "shit." Invalid arguments are invalid.

Gardenmaster

Gardenmaster

Bud Engineer

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,173 posts
Jolly, are these you true beliefs, or are you one of those people that just like to argue?

I am in no way racist and most of my friends are Mexican, but I still don't see how this is right?

Do you think kids would get sent home from a school in Omaha for wearing the American Flag to school on St. Patric's day?

I also have to disagree that the Olympics is just a sport and has nothing to do with you heritage or culture, just ask anyone who saw the 1980 Olympic Gold metal hockey game.

JollyStoner

JollyStoner

Registered Stoner

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,438 posts

Great response. When you can't think of a valid response, just call my post "lame" and "shit." Invalid arguments are invalid.

Its a valid response to a post such as yours. How could you even use something like "talking with your mouth full" or "scratching yourself in the presence of a woman" a valid argument in a case like this? Thats total bullshit man.

sky dog

sky dog

the way of the future

• Bronze Member
  • 13,157 posts

JollyStoner

JollyStoner

Registered Stoner

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,438 posts

Jolly, are these you true beliefs, or are you one of those people that just like to argue?

I am in no way racist and most of my friends are Mexican, but I still don't see how this is right?

Do you think kids would get sent home from a school in Omaha for wearing the American Flag to school on St. Patric's day?

I also have to disagree that the Olympics is just a sport and has nothing to do with you heritage or culture, just ask anyone who saw the 1980 Olympic Gold metal hockey game.

Im not just trying to argue...

Why would a bunch of students get together and plan to wear US flag colors on St. Patric's day? What would be the reasoning behind it? Do these students ever plan on wearing these colors together on any other random day? Obviously these students have something else in mind other than just plain pride for their country otherwise they wouldnt say "Hey, lets all wear red,white, and blue shirts and bandanas on Cinco de Mayo". This was Specifically planned out for that specific day.

Edited by JollyStoner, 06 May 2010 - 09:21 PM.

JollyStoner

JollyStoner

Registered Stoner

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,438 posts
Postal Blowfish and kstigs decided to neg rep me. Ironically Kstigs has an anti-fascism avatar yet he is abusing the rep system to punish me for my opinions.
  • pineapple skunk likes this

Gardenmaster

Gardenmaster

Bud Engineer

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,173 posts

Im not just trying to argue...

Why would a bunch of students get together and plan to wear US flag colors on St. Patric's day? What would be the reasoning behind it? Do these students ever plan on wearing these colors together on any other random day? Obviously these students have something else in mind other than just plain pride for their country otherwise they wouldnt say "Hey, lets all wear red,white, and blue shirts and bandanas on Cinco de Mayo". This was Specifically planned out for that specific day.

I see a little bit what you are trying to say now, the only reason they were planning on wearing the flags was to offend the student's celebrating Cinco de Mayo. IF this was the case then they are somewhat in the wrong, the bigger issue is why would the Hispanic students be offended by them wearing the flag? This is all just a bunch of racism on both sides.

Arteezy

Arteezy

iVape ◕◡◕

• Registered Upgraded
  • 7,377 posts

Postal Blowfish and kstigs decided to neg rep me. Ironically Kstigs has an anti-fascism avatar yet he is abusing the rep system to punish me for my opinions.

I'm not punishing you for your opinions. Go back and read my rep comment a few more times and maybe, just maybe you'll understand why I neg repped you.

Keep trying to tell me that wearing a nation's flag inside that nation is offensive though. I'm sure you'll get far.

JollyStoner

JollyStoner

Registered Stoner

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,438 posts

I'm not punishing you for your opinions. Go back and read my rep comment a few more times and maybe, just maybe you'll understand why I neg repped you.

Keep trying to tell me that wearing a nation's flag inside that nation is offensive though. I'm sure you'll get far.

You failed to see my point. I never said you shouldnt wear the nations colors in your own nation. Everything else I said went right over your head and you interpreted it as me saying this.

Arteezy

Arteezy

iVape ◕◡◕

• Registered Upgraded
  • 7,377 posts

You failed to see my point. I never said you shouldnt wear the nations colors in your own nation. Everything else I said went right over your head and you interpreted it as me saying this.

I'm sorry I simplified your position. You're perfectly able to reiterate it though and shut me up, but instead you should just attack me personally and claim I didn't understand what you said. That always works much better.

AhTee

AhTee

PositiveMentalAttitude

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,930 posts

I see a little bit what you are trying to say now, the only reason they were planning on wearing the flags was to offend the student's celebrating Cinco de Mayo. IF this was the case then they are somewhat in the wrong, the bigger issue is why would the Hispanic students be offended by them wearing the flag? This is all just a bunch of racism on both sides.

troof PLUSSSS Its not like its there countries bday...they like won a battle or a war or something. Its like if the Patriots won a superbowl and I lived in new england and wore a bears jersey, get over it

sky dog

sky dog

the way of the future

• Bronze Member
  • 13,157 posts

Kylesa

Kylesa

Don't Tax Me, Bro. ʘ‿ʘ

• Registered Upgraded
  • 3,758 posts
That's sad.

smokinp