Freakbro's Pest and Plant pit stop

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Freakbro1, May 5, 2010.

1. excellent information dude.

2. U R welcome.
    Its alotta fun doin this.
    Just wish I was a bit more organized.
    Blame it on the weed, man.
    :smoking:

3. Yo GC. Its a beautiful Saturday afternoon, and Im gonna go out and throw down some good beans in my favorite spot, out backa my house. Its my yearly ritual for the 2nd week in May. I feel in harmony with nature there.
    Can you guess the first thing I do at this spot every year, without fail ?
    Youre a smart bunch. I know youll guess it. Lynyrd Skynrd just came on the radio, sweet.
    Call me the Breeze is my favorite tune. Fuckin-A.

Down to the business at hand...

IS IT REALLY A PEST ATTACK ?

New growers should bear in mind that pest attack symptoms can look exactly like nute disorders, over or underwatering, overfeeding, PH fluctuation or heat stress. In fact, the "bite mark" damage commonly associated with pest attacks doesnt always happen. This is because instead of eating the plant, some pests will suck on the leaves, budz, branches and stems.In some pest attack cases, the plants leaves simply curl or change color. Leaf color changes or distortions like leaf-curl are often associated with nute disorders and over feeding. So before you make a nute disorder diagnosis, you should check your grow carefully for signs of pests. It is good practice to get in the habit of doing this anyways, every time you check your beautiful girls.

The main difference between a pest attack and a non-pest disorder is the presence of the pests themselves since pest damage is highly variable. You cant rely on the damage alone to identify the pest. U need to find the pest, identify it and eradicate it. A magnifying aid is a must for all growers.

*** In indoor grows especially, acting quickly is critical. Try to commit the signs of infestation in this tutorial to memory, as this will help u to identify them quickly if u come across a pest attack. Remember though, that not all insects are bad for your grow. Some experts make the mistake of listing pests that actually dont harm the weed.
    Not this cat.

Next up on the menu for today...more pests.
    Hope this helps.
    Good growin y'all.
    Freakbro1

4. #24 Freakbro1, May 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2010
    Pesticides and Flowering

Soaking a flowering plant with a soapy pesticide aint a good idea for a few reasons:

First, Any liquid applied to the bud in large amounts will remove some of the trichomes simply because of the way it has to be applied, and not cuz of the solution coming into contact with the THC-containing resin glands. In fact, THC isnt water soluble at all.

Secondly, Soaps add additional water weight to the flowering plant, causing stems and branches to break. This added weight and film of soapy water on the branches and stems can stunt growth by slowing down photosynthesis until the plant is dry again.

Thirdly, Turning on indoor lights before the plants are dry creates a risk of burning, as the pesticide chemicals can change composition due to heat. The result is much like white powdery blotches on the leaves with signs of burning.

Try to avoid using soapy pesticides or any pesticides on a flowering plant by solving pest problems back in the veg stage of the life cycle before any bud or resin is produced.

Hope this helps
    Good growin y'all
    Freakbro1
    :wave:

I'd like to wish all u mothers out there...Happy Mothers Day !!!

5. Heya Freakbro :wave: Great factual on pests. Plus rep to you for sharing this info! :D:smoking:

6. Best thing ive seen all morning... back to reading

7. Hey GC.
    I apologize for the delay in getting more info.
    Ive pretty much been living at work for the past
    3 days.

Lots to come yet GC.
    :wave:

8. SCALE INSECTS
    Family name: Coccidea

Just for your info, this family of insects is a "superfamily", which means that there are over 8000 species of scale !!!

Scale is related to the aphid and comes in many forms. Scales are born mobile but will eventually solidify (at any location, but mostly on the branches and stem) and insert a hollow tube into the plant to tap into the juices. They also spread mold. Scale can be hand picked from your plants with ease. Ants also "farm" scale, so ants must be removed from your grow room before u treat a scale problem. Scale can also be scrubbed from the branches by using a scouring pad. Dormant oil sprays, or Neem oil (a form of organic pest control) also kill scale. You should be able to obtain these oils from any good grow store.

Next up...SLUGS & SNAILS
    Hope this helps.
    Good growin y'all.
    Freakbro1

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. #30 Freebird442, May 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2010
    I heard a mix of water/iso alc would kill SMs if sprayed on the leaf bottoms.

Got any info?

Kinda hesitant...gonna call the hydro store and see what they got.

P.S. WOW, you were so busy arguing on that other thread I never got a reply....

10. LOL.
    Sorry for my lateness.
    Dont use the iso, cuz it will dry up the stomata
    that the plant needs to conduct transpiration.
    I personally use Avid or Natria.
    Did your grow shop hook u up with something
    good ?
    :smoke:

11. #32 Freakbro1, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010
    SLUGS N SNAILS
    Terrestrial Mollusks of the class GASTROPODA

These little bastards have a flattened ventral bottom that they use for movement. They eat the leaves and stems and kill seedlings. Slugs n Snails are best hand-picked from your grow area. Another way to remove them is to make a circle of common table salt about 4 feet away from the base of your plants (outdoors). Then make another circle about a foot in from that. Salt is deadly to Slugs n Snails and will keep them out. Slugs n Snails can also be repelled or killed by using Slug n Snail pest pellets.
    Save your beer for yourself. It only works if u physically pick up the little offenders and drop them in it.
    Hope this helps
    Good growin y'all
    Freakbro1

Attached Files:

12. TERMITES
    Family: Isoptera

Yo Termites live in colonies. They are very destructive even in small numbers. They have the ability to chew thru wood rapidly and can chop a plant down in less than a day. Termites hate water. If u overwater the soil around your plants, the Termites will leave, but then youre left with an overwatering dilemna. There are commercial products available that kill termites, but most of them are not for plant use or human consumption. Termites can be killed by finding their nest and flushing it with water. Try to find the source of the termites first, rather than treating your plants.
    Hope this helps
    Good growin y'all
    Freakbro1

Attached Files:

13. THRIPS
    Family: Thysanoptera

Thrips are minute, dark coloured insects with slim bodies. They have wings in their adult form. They usually attack the budz of weed and suck juices from the leaves. Thrip infestations usually cause the budz to fall apart and look silvery, in patches. Thrips are not typically around for long cuz their natural predators are beetles, ladybugz, lacewings and certain mites. Thrip infestations can be treated with any good thrip pesticide or pyrethrum. Oh ya, thrips also HATE garlic.
    Hope this helps
    Good growin y'all
    Freakbro1

Attached Files:

14. #35 Freakbro1, May 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2010
    WHITEFLY
    Family: Aleyrodidae

These guyz are usually around 4mm in size, although, there are more than 200 species of this insect so they will vary in size, shape, and colour. One particular species even lives its whole life in greenhouses - hence its name, "Greenhouse Whitefly". Whitefly normally have waxy white wings and use them to fly short distances. If u shake your plants, u should be able to hear them before u see em. They make a buzzing sound when moving in small groups. *** The Whitefly can be DEADLY to your grow and can reduce your grow to shit in a coupla dayz ***. They feed on plant juices and secrete a type of honeydew which has the natural ability to develop a dark mold on the secreted areas. :eek: The mold WILL affect your plants health if left untreated. "Safers" soap helps to kill Whitefly and u should be able to hook yourself up with some at a decent grow store. Other soaps and sprays will also kill Whitefly. The Whiteflys natural predators are Spiders, Ladybugz and Beetles. Pest tape can also be really effective against these deadly offenders. Whitefly are the 3rd most common pest attackers experienced by us growers, both indoors and out.

Remember what I tutored u earlier on, about soapy pesticides on flowering plants ?

Good !!!

If u didnt...better go back in this tutorial and read the section. It could save those precious budz that youve worked soooooooo hard to protect.
    Hope this helps
    Good growin y'all
    Freakbro1

Attached Files:

15. #36 Freakbro1, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
    Hey GC.
    Well, I think Ive covered most of the more common insect pests that we all are probably gonna have to deal with during our time as growers. If there is anything I havent covered about insect pests, that is pertaining to your particular situation, please feel free to ask.
    I only ask that u PM me so it doesnt go on this thread. Cool ? Good, I thought so.

I aint tired of this yet, so I am going to move on to the next logical place to be, its a topic that is near and dear to my heart, and really the main reason I fell in love with Biology. It demonstrates how totally awesome nature is, brothers and sisters. It is a macabre dance in which there are symbiotic relationships formed and lost, sustenance
    given, a continuation of the species - all with an undercurrent of sweet and horrid violence.
    It is the Yin and Yang of how our world works man.

Pest predators...
    :devious:

16. #37 Freakbro1, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
    PEST PREDATORS

When I was young, I spent countless hours out in the bush behind my house, down by the seashore, or even crouched down on the sidewalk in front of my house. The one thing that all 3 of these scenarios has in common is me, face up to something, with my trusty magnifying glass up to my eye. I was watching some of the cool stuff that Im gonna tutor u on here. From watching lifes struggles, even from an insects point of view,
    I developed my deep understanding and respect for nature. Everything does have a purpose - however small it may seem to us.

When youre doin battle with the bad guyz, please, I ask that u take that extra moment
    to look under that tiny blade. It might have the answer to your problem. A small, unassuming bug will be there at the ready, to do battle. His ulterior motive is not to please you - he just wants to fuckin eat. The perk to this is that he eats the bad guy, saves your precious bud and u live stonily ever after. Dont hurt the good guyz.

Heres a few of the good guyz:

BEETLES
    Family: Coleoptera

Ground beetles are usually black, brown or have a bluish tint on their wings and solid covers that surround their wings on their backs. Beetles usually work best at ground level, eradicating most types of snails, slugs, cutworms and other insect pests. They are usually found in soil or hiding under debris like rocks or wood. They are truly voracious !!!

BRACONID WASPS
    Family: Hymenopterous

These guyz are the shit man !!!
    Their eggs actually act as a parasite on unwanted pests like aphids, scale, cutworms and other kinds of larvae. In most cases, this occurs shortly after the wasp has injected several of the pests with its own eggs. Injected cutworms will develop several microscopic, cocoon-like pods on their back and sides. The Braconid wasp larvae sucks the insect dry as it develops inside the cocoons.
    Common wasps are cool too. Ive seen one small wasp swoop down onto a plant, jump onto the back of a big-ass caterpillar, wrestle with it, sting it, wait for it to become paralyzed, stand there and think for a bit, and then hook into the fat motherfucker and slowly and clumsily fly back to the wife and kids at the hive.
    I'll bet he got laid that night.
    Truly the stuff of Science Fiction. Can u imagine living a day in their world ???
    Isnt nature awesome ?!!

More to come...

Hope this helps
    Good growin y'all
    Freakbro1

Attached Files:

17. thanks for the excellent info, freakbro!

18. Awwwwww...youre so sweet.
    Thanx.

More to come shortly. Just got home after a wicked week.
    Its reefer time !!!

:smoking::wave::smoking:

19. Hi GC.
    I feel much better now. I love the fact that I dont have to go and buy. I think my last mission was in the late 70's. Fuck, I feel old when I think about it. Im only 47 by the way.
    If youve been following this project of mine, youve noticed at times I like to ramble.
    Youre very perceptive ! Sorry if it bugz u...
    I think I do some of my best writing when Im baked.
    So, listen up y'all...

BUGZ :confused:
    Ya, I said BUGZ.

Certain types of insects that gardeners call "True" bugz will curb unwanted pests. "True" bugz will actually suck all the bodily fluids out of their victims. The Assassin bug, Big-Eyed bug, Pirate bug and the Damsel bug are the most common "True" bugz u will find, although there are many more. Pirate bugz are especially effective against Spider Mites.
    How convenient. Cool. The Assasin will also kill Thrips. "True" bugz are usually more than
    half an inch in size and will move relatively quick around your plants.

Attached Files: