Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

health benefits of hemp wicks vs butane lighters

• Please log in to reply

ottonavasota

ottonavasota

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have had a lot of friends in Austin start using the hemp wick for lighting their pipes instead of strait inhaling butane gas and it does make a difference in the taste I've noticed. What I wanted to start a discussion about are the health benefits or problems of substituting the combustion of the hemp/beeswax vs. whatever flint/petrochemicals/metals are in the standard lighters we all grew up using. If you're not familiar with hemp wicks, here are some various brands:

BeeLine
HempWix
ViperLites

If you've used bic lighters your whole life and are healthy as a horse, let's hear about it. If you've tried hemp wicks before and think it really does help, why do you think that? Just wanted to get a wider array of opinions. Also, if you're interested in trying hemp wicks out one or two of the companies that make them will send you free samples so try it out and post your thoughts concerning the health and wellness aspect.

SIRSOG

SIRSOG

High

• 35,104 posts

Russy

Russy

Dr. Green Thumb

• Registered Upgraded
  • 10,183 posts
I used Beeline for months, It wasnt worth the hassle of dealing with IMO without any noticeable heath effects.....

I mean, If I thought they were making a huge difference in my health on inhaling butane fumes then I woulda stuck with em, But I noticed no such effect.

Used a "good ol bic" for 18 years, i will continue to do so.

WAgrower

WAgrower

I Void Warranties

• Registered Upgraded
  • 306 posts
I agree with the taste of them; when using them in a clean piece with some good bud is fan-fucking-tastic!!

but the hassle of it is a pain especally if your lounging; last thing you want to deal with when using a large bong in a deep couch is a flaiming bit of twine...

I keep it around for trying out good buds but other then that I don't find it worth it.

On a side note;
Try holding a bic to the bottom of a spoon (like you would if you were about to shoot up...) Clean the soot off, then hold one of thoes cheep transparent colored lighters to the bottom of the spoon.
The cheep ones usually leave less soot.

peaceman

Guest_TheCrushinator_*

Guest_TheCrushinator_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In
I have been using beeline for the past 4-5 months, bought a 200ft spool on eBay lol.

I have to say I definently noticed a change in taste, it doesnt have that chemical butane taste that sometime appears when your trying to cache the last of a bowl and stuff. Also it burns at a lower temperature and doesnt scorch my bowls as fast, I believe that this could in turn increase the amount of thc i recieve because butane lighters burn at a much higher temp.

Will I go out of my way to buy more beeline when I run out? It is hard to say at this point, but maybe after I go back to butane smoking for a few weeks I will start to see more of all the benefits that using hemp wicks gave me

AuntMary

AuntMary

I'm not a chick...

• Registered Upgraded
  • 827 posts
Never tryed it. i would like to however, but my headshop doesn't sell them:(

Milehighbud

Milehighbud

Colorado MMJP

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
I think they are silly, I've tried them many times, I think covers the true taste of whatever bud you maybe somking on, to me it makes every bowl taste the same no matter what the strain is, taste like a Hemp candle to me. I don't see what the difference would be between using a hemp wick to light your bowls to make it taste more like herb! and say a "watermelon blast" store bought candle to make your bowl of mids taste like a watermelon! Ive used a bic for decades now, simple 1 flick get the bowl lit, pull bic away, and enjoy the burning herb. My lighter is next to my bowl for an entire .001 second, I don't see how that would lead to me inhaling all this "Bad for the earth and your body butane". If your smoking bowls that taste like lighter fluid I'd be looking into the method one is using to lite bowls. just my 2 cents.

shimsham

shimsham

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

On a side note;
Try holding a bic to the bottom of a spoon (like you would if you were about to shoot up...) Clean the soot off, then hold one of thoes cheep transparent colored lighters to the bottom of the spoon.
The cheep ones usually leave less soot.

peaceman

hahaha a stupid question but what does this mean? that the cheapy combusts less of the gas?

BloodSweatTears

BloodSweatTears

• Registered Upgraded
  • 139 posts

Never tryed it. i would like to however, but my headshop doesn't sell them:(

These are pretty cheap on ebay. Saw a pack for probably 5 bucks.

Serpent

Serpent

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Posted Image

These are awesome. Ease of a lighter, benefits of hemp wick. $5 on ebay.

WAgrower

WAgrower

I Void Warranties

• Registered Upgraded
  • 306 posts

hahaha a stupid question but what does this mean? that the cheapy combusts less of the gas?

Well it would mean the the cheep ones use a higher quality naptha or burn the butane better.

Not being a chemist I can't say much about it, but bics leave shit and cheep ones dont.

BloodSweatTears

BloodSweatTears

• Registered Upgraded
  • 139 posts

Posted Image

These are awesome. Ease of a lighter, benefits of hemp wick. $5 on ebay.

so glad you put up that picture. I just ordered some of these and I was probably going to use them totally wrong.

BluntsFullOfDro

BluntsFullOfDro

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
lol thats bad ass ^

CO80525

CO80525

like a bus

• Registered Upgraded
  • 186 posts

I mean, theres the obvious difference in not inhaling the extra gasses that escape and arent burned off... but the wick's taste way fucking better..... hahahahhaha dunno if its just me tho

I can definitely taste a difference in the smoke when I use a hemp wick as opposed to a lighter. It tastes much better hemp wickin' it

Guest_Drawyoursword420_*

Guest_Drawyoursword420_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

I've never tried hempwick, but since my taste palatte is messed up from smoking cigarettes I don't think I'd care to try either way. Butane is one thing; lighter fluid from Zippos is quite another. If you've ever intentionally/unintentionally inhaled Zippo fluid you'd be on the ground praising BIC lighters for their lack of taste

• Gemstoner likes this

Lebowski

Lebowski

At least i'm housebroken

• Gold Member
  • 6,283 posts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users