Ventilation FAQ

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bohbo, May 4, 2010.

1. help i cant get my tent to cool down, i have a 400w MH and a 3x3x7 tent with a 6" air cooled reflector, and two circulation fans and an extraction fan. my temp when the lights go off are around 76, but when i turn the light on it shoots to 82 degrees and climbing any help would be nice!!

2. I have a question on ventilating two 4x4 gorilla tents. (On flower one veg) The flower tent will run a 600watt cool tube, and the veg either T5's or a combination of mars2 reflectors. I haven't decided yet. Would it be OK to use one 8" exaust and a Y duct to pull air out out of both tents, through the light and filter, or would this be a stretch? If it is possible, what would the ideal setup be?

3. I would personally do something like this!

1441222552713.jpg

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

4. Cool man, appreciate the input! I always heard that you should pull air through the filter though opposed to pushing through it?

5. That's a common misconception in my experience. Unless the filter says only to pull I wouldn't worry. I run my filter as shown in the diagram. I havnt noticed any increased smell or decreased filter life or fan life. I've replaced the carbon 4 times in 5 years. The first 2 years I replaced it twice pulling through it and in the last 3 years I've been pushing through it and only changed it twice. My fan still runs as good as the day I got more or less but I clean it every 3months or between grows and make sure it sounds properly oiled and double check the bearings!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

6. How can I stabilize humidity , temperature, co2 and air circulation with one controller? How many timer will I need

Why use the co2-2e instead of a cap 3 "sniffer"

7. Where are all the growers at is this just a dead post lol

8. Hey! For 5' x 6' x 7' I would suggest at minimum a 6" inline vortex style fan but I personally would opt for the 8" option with a speed controller especially if youre running open bulb HIDs. With cooled hoods or LEDs the 6" should work well!

Peace & Love
    PsypherE

9. Thanks did your suggestion I really appreciate it so much

10. Hey guys. I have a grow box I just built, 2x3x5ft tall. I was going to run a passive intake, and run my exhaust towards the bottom of the box, and the intake around the top, where it will blow on my light. My reason for this is because the weather is getting cooler, and I figure the air passing by the warm light will help to keep a nice temp. I've never seen anyone run there exhaust out of the bottom of a box. It will be exhausted straight into the room

11. Hey guys this may have been asked before but what schedule do you normally put your timer for your fan on? How many hours, what time of day, for what reason etc..

12. I run 420W of HID and LED in a 2'x4'x5' tent and run my 4" inline and filter at all times at about %90 on my speed master controller. In the summer I bump it up to %100. I also run my lights at night for 2 reasons, cheaper electricity, and cooler weather!

During the summer I run a 10,000 BTU AC in the bedroom with the tent in the closet. Through sprung and fall I run a box fan in the window of the bedroom, and in winter i leave the heat off in the room and open the window as needed, occasionally running the box fan.

In summer my temps in the tent will top 32*C max during lights on and in spring, fall, and winter will hit about 30*C Max during lights on. My low temps in summer are about 22*C at lights out and in spring, fall and winter, I will hit about 15*C during lights out, occasionally it has hit 5-8*C but I try to avoid going that low!

13. okay it appears we live in two very different climates. I'm trying to make my tent which is in a shed, warm. But I've noticed its difficult to keep in heat when my extractor keeps sucking it out. Running a 350w LED doesn't really help much as it gives off very little heat. My temps have dropped to 5c earlier this week and my Max so far has only been 17c. I'm worried this could be slowing down my seedlings growth. They aren't nearly as fast as my last batch which were done in a wardrobe last year.

14. Ahh! Well if you're having trouble keeping your temps up there's a few things to keep your temps up. First suggestion is a speed controller for your exhaust fan. You can turn it down to %60 or so which should help bring temps up a bit. If its still to cold then I would add a timer and run the fan 15min ON, 15min OFF and see where you're temps end up. Finally you could introduce a small space heater and set it low at say 15*C so it only kicks on when things get quite chilly.

15. Another cheap option you could try would be to put a piece of Styrofoam under your tent and drape some old blankets over it to help insulate it a bit better!

16. I'm thinking of getting a tubular greenhouse heater for the tent. 15 on 15 off would take up soooo much electricity :O at the moment my two mastiffs are sleeping in the shed so that should hopefully keep it somewhat warm

17. Running your extraction fan 15on 15off should cost less than running it continuously. How often does your fan run currently? And what size fan? With filter? How big is the tent?

18. All,
    I'm currently constructing a 6x6x8 flower room. I want to do a negative pressure passive system. I ordered an 8" exhaust fan/carbon filter.

I do not want an intake fan I want to achieve negative pressure. So with the being said what is my best bet for filtering my intake air? I was thinking I would put two intake vents one on each side of the room.