Ventilation FAQ

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bohbo, May 4, 2010.

1. In the midst of setting up a room and had a question on the passive intake. I have two options I am considering. One is to put a vent in the upstairs bedroom closet to pull fresh air from inside the house which we keep at 68-69 degrees year round. My other idea is to tap into the hvac for that room and duct it to the grow room. I am just thinking that may be too much hot or cold air. I have an 8" fan with a 44" tall carbon filter for exhaust. I will also have 4 1000w air cooled hoods that are 8" with a separate 8" fan for the lights. Room size is 7x15x9

So what do you think? Pull from the house or pull from the hvac?

2. #1242 stoner719, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
    Wish i knew man.....having temp issues myself have to open my flower tent during lights on just to keep it in the low 80's and i have air cooled hoods and air conditioning plus I'm only runing one light right now....
    4x8 tent
    6 inch ducting
    8 inch inline fan ( I use 8 - 6 inch reducers)
    Central ac in house
    Window AC
    basement bedroom
    Run lights 6 pm to 6 am ( not that hot outside at night)
    1000 watt hps in xxxl 6in air cooled hood

3. Summer growing problems haha I feel your pain man

4. #1244 805green, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
    New to the grow scene and just bought a brand new ds 60 v2.5 2x2x5.5 tent for cheap (25$) i have a cheap winged reflector with 400 watts of light. What kind of fan/filter should i consider for such a small space?
    I'm new to growing and dont want to buy something too small or too big. Also does anyone know where I could possibly find a cooltube that will fit my small tent? Thanks in advance.
    Also i live in the desert but keep temps at 73-77 in the apt.

5. #1245 BrodMan Organics, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Hey all,

Just wondering how big of an exhaust fan I need. My wife gave me only two stipulations...silent and odorless (I know that silent probably isn't completely realistic, but I have to try to be as quiet as possible) The total room size in question is 4ft x 14ft x 8ft, there is a wall at 5ft. the veg room is roughly 4 x 5, and the flower room is 4 x 9.

I will be hooking up a carbon filter, a duct silencer, and insulated ducting on the exhaust fan in question. My questions are...

1.) will a 347 cfm 6" inline fan (vortex s-line, says its the quietest available?) be enough with all the attatched equipment or will i need the 750 cfm 8" model

2.) Is all of the above equipment overkill? (ie 6" is better with just a filter and will be quieter than all above equipment with an 8" fan) or is all of the equipment necessary if I'm looking for as quiet as possible?

Thank you in advance for all responses!!

6. The 6" should suffice. That's said an 8" with a speed controller and duct silencer will give you way more control over temp and will allow you to ramp your fan power down as your environment allows making it the quiter option.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

7. I've only ran a speed control switch one time...for about 12 hours. I couldn't stand the humming. I felt like it was doing something bad to the fan. Is that just how they sound? Because you're turning the fan down so it makes that noise?

If a speed control switch is ok and doesn't harm the fan?... that's the road i'd probably go. Having a bigger fan will definetly help enviornmental control.

8. By slowing down your fan it should make it quieter... It does with mine...

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

9. You are gonna need more than one fan, one for your filter and one for your inline enclosed hoods. You can't put a silencer on the fan for the lights. Its gonna be a bit loud but really once they have been on for a week you don't notice them. Just ask your girl to give it time and eventually she won't notice

10. #1250 BrodMan Organics, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
    i don't use hoods. I hang my lights vertically, so I don't think I'd be able to go with the air cooled hoods idea, and
    It's in a sepreate building that we have. so, it does need to be pretty quiet in case friends or family randomly venture out to the are...

I know the one thing that she's worried about is the constant fan noise, this is all completely new to her...

Thinking as of now I'm going to go with the 8" and a switch if needed. I guess too much is better than not enough

11. I've had no issues with my speed master controller. It costs about $35 and I am able to greatly reduce the fan noise by simply running at 75%. I would certainly start with 8" if you are using open vertical bulbs! That is certainly where I would start and add another fan if needed. Another tip is toount your fan on 1/2" rubber washers to reduce vibration or hang with bungee cords!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

12. I suppose I could add a 4" fan in the veg room if needed also.

Sounds good, Thank You PyspherE! Much appreciated!

13. Anyone out there to help? I wanna run 4 pc fans, connected to a pc 4 channel fan speed controller, connected to one pc power supply, plugged into wall...
    Am I missing something? Any reason why this won't work? Or is there some modification to the molex plugs or whatever to make this work without motherboard...
    Wanna cut down on wall plugs, fan noise and fire risk(by not using phone chargers etc). Will post this elsewhere also as I can't find anything anywhere..
    Cheers in advance.

14. You will need a paper clip, or atx jumper, to turn the power on so it feeds power to the molex connector.

Another option is a AC to molex adapter meant for powering old hdds externally.

Another cheap alternative is to find an adjustable AC/dc adapter. I have found a number of them that allow you to under volt your fans to 7-9-12v which gives a pretty good range. I have alsocseen them up to 2a so that should work for 4 standard PC fans.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

15. Cheers for that.. Will have to study up! So the controller plug won't automatically draw straight from the psu?
    I see from your sig you're into Mars Hydro... I just ordered a 144x3w; can't wait! Bunch of growers over on 420 are raving about Mars.
    Goin to bed now but will check out your grow in the morning!!
    Cheers for the help...

16. A PC PSU has a mechanism to turn it on that is triggered by the power button via the mother board. Think about when you power up a desktop, before pressing power your PSU isn't turned on, its full idle at that point. To trigger the PSU to go live the motherboard triggers the power supply my jumping the green lead in the atx motherboard connector.

You can replicate this same action by simply placing a paper clip, stripped wire, or purpose built jumper into the green lead on the atx connector and the other end into any black (ground) lead on the same atx connector. This will make all the power leads, including molex, live to power your controller.

My only caution here is PC power supplies are not super efficient at running only small voltages as they have a significant overhead compared to a AC/dc wall wart charger or adjustable AC/dc wall adapter.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

17. Do I need a fan for a grow tent and led?

Besides smell, which I'm not worried about, I would think I'd need one for the heat

But it doesn't need to be HPS bulb type power. Nor does it need the long duct to nowhere seeing how it doesn't attach

Third I'm in a 4x4 tent with a Mars 1200.

I would just like to know if I can put a cheap duct fan in one of the openings and call it a day. Or do I really need to go do a whole setup with a high quality fan, duct, ect

18. You COULD get away with a cheap 6" duct booster venting the top, without the restriction of a carbon filter a duct booster should move enough air to cool that Mars panel. A 4" vortex style with a speed controller would be my personal suggestion. This will give you some level of volume control and give you some more options if you were to ever need to add a carbon filter the 4" vortex style inline would allow that, or if you ever needed to cool a HID it should suffice in most conditions, at least seasonally!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

19. quick question. My veg space is 1.9 x 1.4 x 2.8 ft big. And has 8 24w cfls. Totaling 192w. I found a formula for controling heat and im a little confuse this is it. 1.9 x 1.4 x 2.8 (my room size) x 1.33 ( number of times the air should be changed in room) = 9.9??? Have i gone wrong somewherr and its ment to be 99 cfm? Im confused!!

20. also one more question. Soon i will get a dresser/ cab roughly 30% bigger than my veg space and i will run a 300w mars hydro led. How much cfm will i roughly need for this. As to my under standing leds do not put out much heat