Ventilation FAQ

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bohbo, May 4, 2010.

1. do yo think this would cut it?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Variable-Speed-Control-Inline-Hydroponic-Duct-Fan-Blower-190CFM-Carbon-Filter-/351381061347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cff17ee3

2. That may work well enough for your needs! Are you using a ducted hood? Of so it should suffice most of the year. A 4" may have trouble through summer with the heat however if you don't have AC. Anything over 400w I generally recommend a 6" inline fan and filter, but that's not to say the 4" fan will not work, it very well may be powerful enough even in summer, but generally to be on the safe side I encourage stepping up to a 6".

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

3. Ok so i know that exhaust should always be up high, but how big of a differnce we talking between having the fan on the ground ( I do have a fan circulating well) and rigging it up high

4. With a 6" fan and carbon filter you should be able to run the fan down low and the extra power will compensate for venting low, just make sure your intake is up high on the opposite side of your grow area to create a flow through the majority of the room.

If your using 4" inline and filter then you will want your exhaust as close to the top and as close to your light as you can get it!

Even with the 6" you will have a much easier time managing heat if you're pulling it from above your light. You will be able to run your fan considerable slower to achieve the same temp. You may have to run the 6" full bore through summer to keep temps in check depending on your other environmental factors if you exhaust from the ground.

For efficiency sake I always vent from as close &/or above the light as possible to pull as much air over the bulb and capture as much heat directly from the source as possible. This way I can pull cool air up through my canopy into the open and then over the bulb then through the carbon and out the exhaust fan. This seems to be quite efficient for me and allows me to run my fans as low as possible while maintaining a sub 30*C grow area even through summer!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

5. Im going to get a 6"
    will a few slight curves in a flex hose slow the air that much?

6. Is a 409 cmf wind tunnel pulling through a 6 x 20 phat filter good enough air exchange for a 8x9x7 room? I'm cooling 2 x 1k

7. Assuming you have air-cooled hoods you should be okay. If your cooling open reflectors you may struggle! Of course this all depends on your ambient temps where ever you are!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

8. Yep, they are 6" a/c. It's in a basement so the temps aren't bad but the RH gets up there.

Thanks man for the answer

9. What percent of an inline fans power will the average carbon scrubber reduce. My fan is  270m2/h which is around 160 cfm and basically didn't work with the scrubber. I need to get a stronger one I'm just not sure how strong. I would much rather have one that's allot stronger than I need for especially hot days, and to make sure there are no smell leaks.

10. #1231 PsypherE, May 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
    This depends on the fan type. Typically a carbon filter will steal anywhere from %25-50 airflow from a typical inline vortex style fan. If you have one of the aluminium "duct booster" type fans a carbon filter will easily steal %75 of the airflow or more. These fans are NOT very efficient when it comes to barriers like a filter.

What size area and what lighting are you cooling? Are you using cooled reflectors if HID? Also are you using 4" or 6" fan? I assume either your fan is not the inline vortex variety, or its an inexpensive 4" that is under powered for your room.

With a little more info I can give you more specific advice!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

11. My room is a little over a square meter. As of now I'm running three 150 cfl's and waiting for my 600w ballast and lights to come. I was planning on using a bare bulb because of space and heat, also it seems that a bare bulb utilizes the entire circumference of the bulb which would be perfect for four plants. I was using a vent type fan, that is usually found in bathrooms, white plastic vent.
     My scrubber is just a 6" narrow piece of pvc, 2 layers of tights, filled with activated charcoal. Pushing the air threw the scrubber was a complete failure and pulling it through didn't create enough of a suction for my passive intake to work. Its a shame because when I took the scrubber off I felt the cool air rushing in....

(while passing a J[​IMG] ) thanks for the good advice. peace

12. For cooling and deodorising that size area with a 600w HID I would recommend a 4" inline fan and filter at a minimum if you have stable ambient temps below 80f/26c through the summer monthes during your lights on period. Personally I would make the jump to a 6" vortex style inline fan and carbon filter. This will certainly suffice for a single 600w so long as your ambient temp isn't like +90f/32c. This will also allow you to utilise a speed controller which will allow you to dial the 6" fan by up to 50% depending on your environment and still move more air than a 4" fan as well as being significantly quieter!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

13. Ok so of course it's summer time and I'm battling heat issues. The area is sealed however it is inside of another area that's ambient temps get to or around 90. Currently only running 1 600w HID in the area made for two. The area is 5x8x7.5

14. Running two six inch vortex inline fans, no scrubber at the moment in veg. Temps in the room stay consistent at around 82-84 which I know is too warm. Ac hoods currently hooked up with one six in on the intake side of the light that's on and one on the roof of the cabinet pulling from the exhaust side of the hood. My only other option is to try and tie into the existing HVAC system

15. Hey man! That's tough... So by your description I understand that your room is sealed and you have 2x 6" inlines bringing air from outside your room cooling your hoods then sending it back out in a closed loop. If this is the case a cheap cooling option for your garden maybe to enclose a cheap window AC unit. Some 2x2, ply wood, 2x cheap 6" duct booster fans, and a cheap new or used window AC and you could definitely get those temps down!

Here's a thread with some more details!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=95491

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

16. Thanks for that bro, the link was very helpful.

17. #1238 shred-n-toke, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015
    so i'm trying to figure out if i should open up my vents in the bottom of my tent to keep more co2 in there. my fan is on the lowest setting and it still creates such a suction that the walls suck in some, so i'm thinking if i open up the vents then the fan will pull more of the lighter air and leave me with more co2 down around the plants..

the co2 pumps in for 15 min then the exhaust is on for 45 every hour so i can keep the temp in the right spot

am i crazy and should just leave it sealed up, or open the vents?

18. So I'll be purchasing my first set up here in the next few days, and I'm wondering what type of intake fan I should have for a 4 x 4 x 6 tent. I've got everything figured out for the exhaust. I know the FAQ says you don't need an intake fan and to just make an opening...Well this is where I'm a little confused, as I don't know what should be used to prevent any kind of light leaks or anything?

19. Most tents are light proof or pretty close to it. For a 4x4x6 I would recommend a 6" inline vortex style fan and filter. Most tents generally have passive intake sleeves around the bottom so you likely don't need to worry about intake. If you do need to you could open a spare vent sleeve in the bottom and add a light trap and/or small duct booster style fan.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE