Ventilation FAQ

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bohbo, May 4, 2010.

1. Hi I am doing a micro grow and I want to use a computer fan for noise and space issues. I also need to control the smell and I was wondering if I put "fan-carbon-fan" two computer fans setup would that pull enough air out of the 1.5'x1.5'x3' space it has two plants and 4 30 watt cfls I'll also have an intake should I put a fan with the carbon filter on the exhaust and a fan on the intake which would be best?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. They AC exhaust may vent some CO2 out but it would be minimal IMO.

Peace & Love
    pysphere

3. I would double up the fans on exhaust and leave a passive intake. You want to make sure you have decent PC fans as well! I personally use either server grade sunon or delta PC fans or I will opt for a 120mm AC muffin fan. The AC muffin fans move more air than their DC PC fan counterparts. They also wire right into a 110-120v circuit so no wall wart (AC/DC adapter) is required. I would caution against the use of no name (OEM) PC fans as they lack the required power to pull/push through carbon. If you have any further question don't hesitate to ask!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

4. Is there anybody out there running 2000w + with HID's in a grow tent and don't have to use ac? If so I'd really be interested in how exactly you're set up to not have to deal with heat. I've retrofitted a window ac unit to exhaust out of the room while pumping ac into my tent in order to keep temps manageable in the 73-79f range. If it were possible to keep a passive intake without having to combat the heat I'd really like to know your technique.

5. should I get a 200 cfm duct booster fan? I have four compartments that need air flow would I be able to vent all the cabs with the one fan Mabey run some duct work? altogether they are about 5'x4'x1.5'

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Now many cfm do I need to have to ventilate a space 2/4/9. I have a 50 please help
    Now many cfm do I need to have to ventilate a space 2/4/9. I have a 50 please help

7. How can I make my inline pull instead of push.
    It wont fit when I try to turn it around. Such BS.
    Please anyone?

8. Put the fan on the other side if the hood...?

9. Thanks for the quick response
    But it only has corrogated edges on one side.
    The outake side, any side u install it or flip it, it will only fit with air entering Hood.
    So frustrated.
    I assume I can add a coupling or connector.
    But that will demand more space that I don't really have.
    Couplings are 6 inches long.
    Idk.
    Thanks for the quick response
    But it only has corrogated edges on one side.
    The outake side, any side u install it or flip it, it will only fit with air entering Hood.
    So frustrated.
    I assume I can add a coupling or connector.
    But that will demand more space that I don't really have.
    Couplings are 6 inches long.
    Idk.

10. I would just buy some flew duct and cut a 6" piece and couple the 2 together using hose clamps

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

11. In a dr60 the total size is 40cubic feet. Divide by 5 means i need a fan with 8cfm to change all the air over once in 5 minutes. Surely that means anything over 100 cfm is pure overkill. I get that we use the fan to help control heat as well but take for example the ruck 4inch high power which is 270 metres cubed an hour (159.96 cfm) wouldnt this try sucking the tent inside out lol or would a carbon filter and heat need that amount of air movement. Mind it would be a 250hps and 250 mh. I cant imagine needing that much power.

Any help would be appreciated !!!!

12. I run a 250HID and I have my 185CFM with carbon filter hooked up to a speed controller. I run it about %80 to keep my temps under 28*C

I would definitely suggest the fan you're looking at and a speed controller!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

13. I seen a speed controller with thermometer attachment before that i was thinking of but its pricey ! Just trying to get all my information correct before i take the plunge !!

14. No need for a temp controlled one, just plain old manual adjusting. Should be sub $40! They're worth it!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

15. #1215 Zawber, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
    Hello everyone!

I have a question about which fan I should use to vent my cabinet. The cabinet itself is 2.5ft * 2.5ft * 6.5ft - around 40 cubic feet. The reason it's so tall is because it's basically an old closet I slightly modified. Anyhow, inside is a cool-tubed 250W HPS and with the current setup, the temperature in the grow box is around 84 fahrenheit, - a bit too warm for my liking. The room the cabinet is in has no windows, so I thought about venting the hot air outside the house - but to do that, the air would have to run through 20 feet of ducting with around 5 bends, as well as a carbon scrubber, as I don't want any smell escaping the house. The fan would be pulling air out of the cabinet, then pushing it through the rest of the ducting outside the house.

Now I'm wondering - just how strong of a fan should I get? If need be, I could use a booster fan somewhere in the ducting run, as I can get them quite cheap. Below, I've attached a poorly (not to scale) made diagram of my cabinet and the whole ducting run. I've thought about the duct run a lot and it is pretty much as short as it can get. I can't get rid of any of the bends, nor can I make it any shorter.

So, if anyone could advise as to how strong of a fan I should get  or if such a run is even viable without dishing out a couple of hundred bucks, the help would be greatly appreciated! I've been looking at a 325 CFM 6'' inline fan and was wondering if that would be enough? Could I perhaps get away with a 4inch at around 200 CFM? Also, my cool-tube is 5'' in diameter, would that cause a problem with a 6'' fan?

Attached Files:

16. Ok, so ive been using a 600w HID lamp in a aprox 250 cubic foot closet. There are two vents in the door that are about 4in by 16in, one at the top and one at the bottom. I tried a small blower fan (was much smaller than i anticipated) attached at the top vent, but its not cutting it. ive got that fan down circulating air now. But my problem is i cant find any good options to vent out. Id like to attach a semi quiet blower to the top vent, but not coming up with much. i probably need about 200cfu. and as quiet and cheap as possible. not afraid of soldering or using power tools. I cant modify the door or the walls any either. HELP!

17. 6" inline fan will definitely suffice! You would likely get away with a 4" but a 6" with a speed controller will give you all the power and more control to manipulate your internal temps for only a slight premium over there 4" fan!

Also the 5" cool tube shouldn't be an issue regardless of fan size you will just need an adapter, either way your filter will be the biggest bottleneck just due to the nature of carbon filters!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

18. You will want, at minimum, a 4" inline fan. For 600w I would suggest upping to a 6" inline fan! Also with 6" you can add a speed controller and run the fan at %65 so it will be quiter than a 4" fan at full tilt and still pull more air! You may look at using an aluminium vent register from a hardware store, most will have ~ 4" x 16" register to 4" ducting that you could try modifying to fit the existing hole and then would add a 4" to 6" adapter to attach the fan and speed controller!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

19. thats what ive been thinking about, but when i see some cheap fans like the 25$ ventech fans... People say it sounds like a jet and they die fast. anyone know of cheaper 6" duct fans that wont be a waste of money? this issue is my primary problem, gettting up to 110 some times and can really only hang the door open. and once they get a bit bigger that wont be an option at all

20. You want this style of fan:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/190941352432?redirect=mobile

NOT this style:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/181241936549?redirect=mobile

I know I linked ventech only cause you mentioned them. I have no particular recommendation for fan manufacturer. I personally don't have any recommended bands. I know most like "phresh" as well as "vortex" fans for their minimal noise but you do pay a premium for the name.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE