Ventilation FAQ

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bohbo, May 4, 2010.

1. Couldn't figure out an easy way to draw it up on my phone but the formatting wasn't displaying properly in my post. This screencap of my intended formatting might clarify things!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

Attached Files:

2. Thanks again....i post a pic in a couple of months.....

• Like Like x 1
  3. I figure this would be the appropriate thread to post this in.

Should I mount my carbon filter inside the tent so the odor is scrubbed prior to traveling through the ducting and out the fan, or is it okay to mount it on the exhaust part of my fan so it's scrubbed as it is leaving the tent?

4. Google search answered my question. Thanks anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #1185 .HiGhGuY., Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
    [SUB]Ventilation is a huge challenge for people who live in a climate like me.  During the summer months, its not unusual to go weeks on end at near to past 100 Deg F.   Often I come home from work during the summer and its 95-97 deg F in my apartment.  Running the central air in my apartment 24/7 would cost way to much.  I Have a portable A/C unit.  The problem is, you need to supply fresh air to the plants fairly often.  Where does it fresh air come from? outside the grow area where its hot as hell.  Every time you bring in fresh air, you're warming up the grow area.   [/SUB]

6. High everyone,

I'm new to the grasscity forums, and self sufficiency in general so please be patient if my questions seem basic.

So I have a small setup in a basement, with 1 home built box measuring 1.4 x 1.4 meters with a 600w HPS. 4 x C99 feminized in SCRoG, currently 7 days into 12/12 after 2 months vegging from seed, in NFT. The screen is the full size of the box and is very nearly full. There must be close to 150 tops/shoots poking through the screen, plants looking very healthy and growing QUICK! I have a powerful fan on both intake and outlet (carbon filter too) and the box is completely sealed (no leaks). I am confident the air exchange in this box is way above what it needs to be.

I also have a 1.2 x 2.4 meter secret jardin tent set up with 2 x 600w HPS in it. Again, with both intake and outlet fans more than capable of adequate air circulation, and carbon filter.  There is nothing in here currently but soon will have 6 x clone from my best of the C99's, again in NFT with SCRoG screen same size as the tent.

However, due to the urban location of this setup I have decided to seal up the natural air vents from the basement to the outside world, to prevent any smell leaks when working with the doors to the box open. The basement itself is about 3.5 m square. Now I am coming into flower time, I am worried about the available CO2 for my ladies. Although my plants are performing well now, the flower period is only just starting, and very soon my canopy area will triple in size (when tent is up and running).

So, my question is this. Should I install an air intake fan to suck in fresh air from the outside world, to provide optimum CO2 levels, or will the setup perform well as it is? If I fit an intake fan, do I also have to fit an exhaust fan? If I fitted an intake and no exhaust, would be pushed up through my floorboards etc as a means of escape (as I would assume)? Or will leaving the basement door open for an hour each morning be sufficient for decent air exchange? 

One option I could use is to fit the intake and exhaust fans to the outside world and turn them off before I open tent/box, leaving them off for an hour or so after box closed up again so smell isn't such an issue before turning them back on. (However, remembering to do this every time I want to check PH could be an issue  :smoking: ). I guess I could even run another fan with carbon filter on it as the exhaust fan, with the carbon filter before the, fan so the fan sucks the air through the carbon filter rather than blowing it through it like it does on my outlets on the grow areas? (a fairly expensive fix)

Another tactic could be to have the two areas on opposite photoperiods time wise. So, dark in the tent, lights on in box, and vice versa. Would the photosynthesis of one offset the respiration of the other, or would the effect be negligible?

The other option I could consider is CO2 enrichment, but I know little to nothing about this. My local shop sells fungus based CO2 enrichment cubes/gas burners for enrichment, but both are fairly expensive and from what I have read Co2 enrichment only makes much of a difference if your grow is dialled in. As I am a novice, I guess I will be a good ways off being dialled in! 

What would you do?

Any help and input greatly appreciated.

One Love.

7. I have a 14 by 14 room is a 12 inch can fan too much it is $500 I could put a variable speed to tone it down anybody help

8. Never to much with a speed controller!

Its probably over sized a little but will work well with the controller!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ihave 4x4 tent. I have a radiant 8 inch hood, 600 watt phantom hps. 7 bought a 420 cfm duct booster fan, what should I do? Can that work or not, especially with carbon filter.

10. Would this setup work for a 4ft long 2ft wide and 6ft tall tent with a 400watt hps open hood? The temp outside the tent is between 65 and 75 and the tent gets to 90 at yhe hottest part of the day now with 2 200 cfm duct boosters with no carbon filter and a small 6 in desk fan blowing on the canopy

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Your diagramed setup should work well for you!

12. Thanks do u think the fan would be better in the spot pictured or inside the tent attached to the elbow?

• Like Like x 1
  13. I would leave it right where you have it! Stack the fan, muffler, and filter just as you had pictured!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

14. K thanks im waiting for the muffler and speed controller in the mail but as soon as they're here il have it hooked up

15. Should I get some solid ducting to put between the fan and muffler and the muffler and filter or just literally stack them?

• Like Like x 1
  16. So get the solid ducting?

17. Picked up some solid ducting and elbows and built a sound proof box for the jet engine that is my fan and idk if im even gonna use the muffler when it get here. The fan is so strong is sucking my tent in but temps went from 104 to 84 at the hottest part of the day and 79ish the rest of the day but its barley louder if any then the two little duct boosters I had in there

• Like Like x 1
  18. Will a Porable ac in sealed room exhaust my co2 out the window?

19. Air conditioners take air from outside and puts it inside not the other way around

20. Why does it have a exaust hose? Thats what they label the hose on portable air conditioners.....just don't want to buy one if it won't work for me