Ventilation FAQ

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bohbo, May 4, 2010.

1. Look for a server grade fan to pull through the carbon. Sunon and Delta both make higher power server grade PC fans. They are louder but do work much better for pulling through carbon.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

• Like Like x 1
  2. After reading the FAQ, I've decided my question is more specific than the information I could take from the OP.

My space is 37.333r Cu.ft. If I'm using a 4" duct fan for exhaust that is rated at 80 cfm and attach a 4" carbon filter, does that affect the cfm of the fan?

Should I upgrade to a 6" combo rated at 250cfm?

3. The filter will definitely reduce your air flow by at least half

An 4" inline fan will be what you want. I assume your grow area is a little larger than 2' x 2' x 5'. If you have a 400w+ HID then maybe consider a 6" inline fan and speed controller. If its LED than a 4" inline should be plenty

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

4. Yes my space is 32"x32"x53, and I'll be running a 600w cool tube setup. I have a 750cfm centrifugal fan for the cool tube and until last night was planning on running a duct fan with carbon filter for odor and exhaust. Now I think I'm going to use the duct fan for the cool tube and the centrifugal fan for the exhaust and filter on a speed controller. My ballast is dimmable so if I run into temp issues with the duct fan I can knock it down to 400w. Thanks for the info!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Try swapping the fans as you suggested. If you plan on a scrubbing exhaust I would try and find the money for a 4" inline fan and then plan on saving for a temp switch in the future that will trigger the 4" fan to come on/off as required based on the temp in the tent.

Personally I would start just by swapping the fans you have as you suggested and then in the future look at running a closed loop for your light with the 750cfm fan and then introducing CO2 if that's something you would consider. To controller smell you would just set the carbon filter and fan inside the tent recirculating and scrubbing the air. I know this might be a little more extensive than your looking to go but this would be my end goal with a setup this size.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

6. 120x120x200 tent with 5"extraction kit it is 164cfm Isit enough for passive intake

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  7. The biggest factor is light source! If you have a 600w+ HID I would suggest moving up to a 6" fan and filter combo with a speed controller. With LEDs a 4" combo should suffice.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

8. I have 400w mh for veg and 400w hps for flower

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. In a cooled reflector a 4" inline combo should suffice but a 6" combo with speed controller will work a lot better and can be run quiter. If you don't have a cooled reflector I would personally go with the 6" combo and speed controller.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

10. Hey guys i don't know if i'm allowed to post a question like this here, but im growing one small plant in a 90 x 60 x 90 cm grow ten, all is well and im using an LED 180w light, but the heat in there is currently 15*C during the day, colder at night since its in an attic with no heating. And humidity is at 71%. How do i heat the tent? Would heating it solve my humidity problem? And i'm on a tight budget and would prefer a solution that uses the least electricity as well as low cost. 

• Like Like x 1
  11. The simplest option to raise your lights on temp is to slow your exhaust or put it on a timer to let your temps rise. For night temps I would turn all fans off and look at running a small space heater perhaps if the conditions are safe in the attic. You could also try maybe a reptile/terrarium heating pad or 2 inside the tent. This should help keep your temps up a bit. Depending on your setup I would try attaching it to the under side of your saucer/runoff tray to give a cold barrier to the root zone. So long as your roots stay warm and the air isn't freezing your plants will be okay. If your temps are still getting below say 10c at night I would add a second or another heat source!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

12. We will be using CO2 in our grow rooms. How does that factor in to the type and size of the fan we need?

13. How many and what wattage and type of lighting are you using? What's your room size? Do you have AC in the room?

If you have air cooled hoods and an ac with your CO2 you will want to run a closed cooling loop for your lights so you don't pump out the CO2 your adding to your room. If you have 2 x 1000w or less I would suggest a 6" inline to cool your lights/hoods. Inside the room you will want good circulation to prevent the CO2 from settling to the floor.

If you don't have AC I would highly recommend it! It will save you tonnes of CO2. If your cooling your room with standard exhaust your CO2 will not go very far. Ideally you want a sealed room for CO2 with a closed cooling loop for HIDs and an AC to cool the radiant heat. The good news with CO2 your plants will thrive at a slightly higher temp so you don't have to run your AC as high!

If you post some more details I can help out more!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

14. hey guys does anyone know how loud the Acoustic box fans are compared to the normal centrifugal fans?

Attached Files:

15. #1175 smokeymcpot aka blue dream, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
    Would this work?
    4- 8 inch air cooled hoods (no glass)
    1-8 inch inline fan
    25 ft of 8 inch ducting
    5 - 8 inch t connetors
    I would like to build a loop with the ducting and have a piece of ducting coming off the loop for each hood and the fan........have the air pulled in to the loop through each hood with equal pressure and out of the room through the fan.
    Just not sure it would work properly, probably just pull all the air though the closest hood.....
    Ps. I have all except t connectors already
    Any help or advice would be appreciated thank you

• Like Like x 1
  16. Can somebody please recommend type of activated carbon? for DIY scrubber.
    I tried pellets and it doesn't scrub shite.
    cheers!

17. Use 3 T connectors and create a central manifold.

Hood 1--
    |
    T con--
    | |
    Hood 2-- |
    T con -Fan-exhaust>
    Hood 3-- |
    | |
    T con--
    |
    Hood 4--

Hopefully you can follow the diagram. So long as you can evenly space the connection equally you should have a even pull from each hood.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

18. Thank you pyspherE ....
    is there any way ypu could draw me a picture im having a hard time grasping it

No hurry by the way dont have the space or plant count yet

• Like Like x 1
  19. I am smokey mcpot also.....

20. Ok i get it...thought about it real hard.
    hurt my brain a little and it just clicked.thanks so much pyspherE.....cant wait to build

• Like Like x 1