Ventilation FAQ

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bohbo, May 4, 2010.

1. I'm setting up an exhaust system with attached carbon filter....

Land lord doesn't want me drilling exhaust out of the house, can I tie into an existing a/c line and exhaust throughout my house?  I mean I know I can, but it is advisable?

My main focus is to pull out hot air out and keep fresh air coming.

Cheers Blades!

2. Any suggestions on.what carbon filter/ fan to.purchase.

3. How many plants? What kind of space?

4. I plan on beggining with four plants in.a 5x5 tent

5. I really like my system I got it off amazon for a total of 100. I will take pics when I am off work

6. That is about the space I have. I am running 5 plants now. Check my journal and you can see my space.

7. Hey, so I have an 8x4 tent I'm setting up now to split my 8x9 room into flower and veg. In the tent will be my portable ac to 8" cooltube with 1000w reduced to 6" ducting to 6" cooltube with 600w. Deciding whether to put 6" fan at end of 2nd cooltube or exhaust? I know different size tubes isn't preferable, but does large to small make more sense for cooling since large has 1000w or would it be worth putting it in the 6" tube and 600 in 8"? Have carbon filter and more heavy duty fan for it, usually I just run it in the corner could I run as exhaust for tent? Just running co2 bags. besides cooling lights should exhaust for main room be priority since ac is running into tent already? Main rooms temps are manageable with 400w and 2' t5 strip. Any answers are greatly apppreciated, and thanks for the info so far....

8. Let me get this right, I have a 10x10 room. I want to pull the exhaust through a 1000 watt with cooltube, from my understanding of this post , I will only need 1 exhuast fan? Im thinking of getting a inline vortex. Ive heard they are the best? But I was also thinking about heat control. I did my best to seal off my room. Are you 100% sure I dont need an intake?? It just seems like i wont get enough fresh cool air into my room. Id like to avoid having to buy a water chiller for my res so I was thinking I could pull air in from under the house to keep the room cool. Idk. Im still sort of lost. Someone help asap plz

9. Good to know out of everyone subbed on here nobody wants to help me out lol!

Sent from my Z796C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Nice job keeping this one alive!
    I am using the 5x9x8 gorilla grow tent. I am set up in a bedroom with one window(about 20 degrees out right now) so I ran my 8" venting about 25' out an unused chimney. I am using a Hyper fan rated at 710 cfm with an 8x24 thresh can. Trying to use (2) 1150W Gavitas(which are open air) plus a 400 Watt Solar storm LED. My temp. Outside the tent is 65F. Inside went up to 95F. I figure if I get another 8" and neck it down to 4" I will be able to exhaust all the excess heat. The fan has built in variable controls, so if needed I could always de-tune it to use the smaller diameter ducting. Can expand if needed. I was going to purchase the 6", but the 8" is on sale for about the same price so........I will try venting the air out first. If that doesn't work you will find me back at the proverbial "Drawing Board". I will left you all know if this works.
    Take care and feel free to suggest any fixes.

11. Okay so from what I have gathered, the 2'x4'x5' Apollo tent and 400W HID setup w/o cool tube, while not necessarily advisable, should be fine? I haven't received it yet, but no point in detailing overtly on ventilation until I know for sure exactly how hot it will get, so I figured light and tent first.

Will be in a open closet blocked by a large desk/entertainment center, so theres plenty of airflow between the closet and my room, of which the tent will take 2/3 the closet space. So. I know i am at least looking at a few hundred CFM exhaust for the top 6" port. Sufficient or no?

To be entirely honest, the girls started in a narrow cabinet under 4 17W cheap GL T8s, upped to 4 of those and come CFLs, now 4ish weeks later still in veg of course and to my dismay, muchhhh smaller than they should be. Rather scary after seeing some of the pictures here. So i built the ladies a new cabinet, upped two of the tubes to bluemax 5000s i believe, and added 4 hanging sockets inside for more CFLs,, one socket is currently taken by an adapter to fit 4 bulbs. (dont know what its called, used in photography in the light umbrellas, a WONDERFUL find in my opinion for CFLs, nothing like that at my local stores)

So now we have 4 T8s, 3 5500K CFLs and 2 3500 CFLs, used strategically. Now a key point. They have been in rather hot conditions since the beginning with airflow limited to their cabinet being opened and closed regularly. An obvious reason for the upgrade to the new veg cabinet and the investment for the next stage. Intentions are to move them to the new tent. Temperature concerns arise but I wonder if they may be fine having already seemingly adapted to the somewhat arid conditions. The box currently runs 80-90, i've been strategically regulating the lighting, I know its less than ideal.

Besides the slow growth, most look extremely well. My next main concern is the fact that they need to be transplanted and I'm sure thats part cause of their smaller size. I have been waiting for the gear before transplant for obvious reasons. Note that they were also started in small pots, not the small propagation trays.

Sorry if this is long winded, first time post, hope to have a good time here, I'm VERY excited for what is to come

• Like Like x 1
  12. Once you receive the tent and light you will probably need a 6" inline fan and filter to keep those temps down!

Your plants are smaller than expected most likely due to the high heat and low airflow combined with the smaller pots.

When you run the light for the first time you will notice significant heat buildup in the tent without your exhaust set up so I would recommend getting it sooner than later. I would also suggest pairing it will a fan/speed controller as well as a carbon filter if you require one!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

• Like Like x 1
  13. #1153 arr0w, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
    But for now, it COULD be fine? And also, how often/whats the risk of a fire? Surely it the ambient heat wouldnt roast more than the plants??? Just a concern, once you wake up in a house fire, you get paranoid of EVERYTHING catching fire. Even the coffee pot :/

And being my first grow and bag seed, i did some first time topping, FIMing, ect, maybe ill post pictures in a few days how it went.

Also is there any recommended security advice for posting pics here, as in, is it truly safe? I'm a very cautious person here but I know I've stressed some of the plants to an extent and there are vastly different effects. As in the way that the smallest, most stunted one, has the most branches, particularly auxiliary branches, yet the largest has barely started them? WTH. Lol.

As I said, first grow, bagseed, as much an experiment as anything. Round two germs just got planted awhile ago :D

PS: Was anyone else TERRIFIED the first time they went to top a plant? It took me 3 days to finally do it lol

And thanks for the replies. Lots of questions, and I'm very excited to (hopefully) show you my DIY box. just paranoid of posting. grr

14. I have a probably F.A.Q.!

Would I really NEED an inline fan to ventilate a 300w LED in a 3x3x5 box? Hypothetically. I have neither, currently. I know that using 172w of CFL, 1 PC fan keeps it pretty much ventilated, except for when indoor temps reach the 90s out here.

15. First for the question about pictures, I've never had any issues posting here. If you are using a cell phone to take pictures I would suggest downloading and exif eraser app to get rid of any potential geographic tags on the image file.

For the exhaust you will almost certainly need a fan right off the start or your temps will end up above 90f which is not ideal, in fact you will probably see +100f unless the ambient temp is quite low. Now I'm not guaranteeing your fire safe but your odds are still very low without the fan but your plants will suffer without the air exchange and cooling effects!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

• Like Like x 1
  16. Depends mostly on 2 things, ambient room temp and the need to carbon filter. If you need a filter then yes a 4" inline and carbon filter is your best bet. However if odor isn't an issue then you can get away with DC PC fans or AC axial muffin fans for exhaust as long as your ambient temps are below the low 80s. This should keep your temps around the mid to high 80f. If your temps still rise slightly above 90 with a couple PC fans as exhaust you could also add some as intake if you really want to avoid buying an inline fan and that may also help get your temps down a little. Ideally though I would suggest a 4" fan and speed controller (plus carbon filter if required).

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well my issue is that our walls are not sound proof by ANY amount. If I speak in here my girlfriend can hear it across the house. My 4" inline sounded like a jet engine, so I got rid of it. It'd get me busted. PC fans, on the other hand.. I have a plethora of them. If I had enough adapters I could put 4 of them on as my exhaust. I do have a dual passive intake, currently. If nothing else, I could probably place 2 exhaust, 1 intake, and 1 passive intake. Currently though, I have a 60 CFM PC fan with some stuff outside it to block light, but it still gets almost full CFM output. That is running in a micro grow flower chamber, dimensions as listed in my strawberry cough journal. So far with 172w of CFL output, it has held temps fairly well. During summer I have to keep the doors open at night, though. No central air means whatever temp it gets outside, it gets inside. =/

• Like Like x 1
  18. 4" fans can be on the noisy side! If noise is the issue then I would go with PC fans they should work okay for you! I would add as many as you can afford to. The closer to ambient you can get it in there the better the plants will grow! You may run into issues in the summer though!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yeah, I run into those issues in summer because we don't have an attic fan or central air. Q.Q