Ventilation FAQ

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bohbo, May 4, 2010.

1. Hello all just wanted to know what kinds of caterpillars you guys have invading your plants . Size,color,look any info would be helpful.the reason I ask is I have three different kinds in my med.garden.one is all green ,one is green with white stripe down the middle ,and one is brown with white /tan spots. And also if anyone could tell me why they only feed on my med.garden when I have my veggie garden only 5 feet away and not one caterpillar??

2. For caterpillars I would suggest BT, its an organic insecticide that targets caterpillars. I would also suggest neem and pyrethrum spray during veg as a preventative measure. For all of these you do not want to apply during flower though!

3. Thx for the responce on caterpillars .does anybody have a greenhouse plan they wanna share ? Or how to build one I only need one at 6x6 .what's the best clear plastic or a netting of some kind? I don't wanna have to fix it every year. If its plastic where can I get it I live in Cali.

4. I think you have got some good questions but they are all being asked in the ventilation thread. You would get more responses if you asked in the appropriate forum. You are just clogging up the ventilation forum

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1328381-Zachazooms-Scrog-Grow

Ok so now I have hooked up the fan speed controller and started messing with the settings( I had it on the wrong one) now I can precisly set the temperature by hooking the controller up to my exhaust fan.

The question I have now is about the air ventalation. If the air is getting exchanged about once every minute and half or so is that too often to effectively run a bottled c02 system?

6. With co2 I suggest using a closed cooling system for the hoods. You should limit if not eliminate your air exchange if you're using co2. With co2 your ideal temp range can increases to the mid-high 80s so a closed system should be an option for you. This way you spend far less on co2 and it is far more effective as you will be able to keep the co2 concentration closer to the ideal ~1500ppm.

7. A few more tips for using co2. Keep your controller on a timer with the lights. During the dark cycle co2 isn't used so there is no point keeping the concentration artificially high during lights off. Second add as much internal circulation in the room to eliminate any stagnant areas. This keeps the co2 level consistent throughout the grow room. Finally when running co2 your plants optimum temp rises by as much as 10 degrees to the mid-to-high 80s so cooling becomes a little easier!

Hope this helps in your endeavours!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

8. Why is it when my temperature goes down my humidity goes up? My humidity is about 30% when the temp is 31 degree celcius or above, but when I get the temp down to 28 degrees celcius my humidity sky rockets up to 48%?

9. This is because when air is warmer it is able to hold more water vapour than when it is cold. As an example if its 90* then we will say the air can hold 500 water molecules. So at 90* if you have 250 water molecules you have an rh of 50%. If the temp drops down to 80* the air is only able to hold 350 water molecules so a rh of 100% would mean that the air contains a full 350 molecules. When the 90* air drops to 80* the 250 water molecules don't disappear so at 80* you have 250/350 water molecules or 71% rh.

The the gist of temp and relative humidity!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

10. also 48% isn't too high at 28*c. That's actually a pretty decent temp and humidity so I wouldn't worry about it to much

11. Hey guys. I have doubled up my carbon filter with two layers of carbon and 2 125mm fans pushing air through, do you think that will take care of the smell? It's got a passive intake also. I am growing in a pc box, please no hate as it's just a little project of mine.

12. Yeah, I manuevered my fan and it lowered the temp. I also removed my ballast and that seemed to help. Now my temp has leveled out at 750watts. it stays around 29 degrees celcius. Only problem is now the humidity is really low at around 31%. So I'm going to get a humidifier and eventually an better intake fan. Should help. :love: :bongin:

13. Do you have plants in the room yet? If not I would wait on the humidifier! Adding plants will increase the moisture in the room and bring the humidity up. If they are already in there you could look at a humidifier but 31% rh is pretty good for flower.

Peace and Love
    PyspherE

14. Everything I've read on it says it's supposed to be between 40-70% in the Veg stage. I'm entering into the aggressive veg. stage right about now. So I'll probably need a humidifier to up the humidity about 10%. They aren't too expensive though.

15. #1136 StaffOfPower, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
    Hey everybody, I posted in this thread once before and asked if it would be advisable to ventilate my entire grow closet as opposed to attaching a fan directly to my reflector hood. The reason, I thought there was no way to attach a fan to my hood.

However, since I posted, I found a fan that should fit my hood (it too is hydrofarm, i included a screenshot of it below)

My question is, would it be better to vent the entire closet at the top of the door, or would this option be better?

The only thing that makes me uneasy about this, is it only has a 4" flange. I'm gonna be running 600w mh conversion for veg, and 600w HPS for flower.

What do you think the best option is?

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414236965.550974.jpg

Oh, and it's worth mentioning... I still have no idea what model my hood is. All I know is it's hydrofarm, SAYS it's only for use with 430w HPS but my uncle successfully used it with up to 1000w. It has a total of three "vents" on it, one on the back side near the cord, one on the opposite side of that, and one on top. They're all square shaped, and they're just slits.

I don't know if that tells you anything at all, but I just thought id throw this in there.

So....... 4" fan for hood, or 6" fan in top of closet door?

************I still want opinions, but now I'm thinking of either the hood fan or both. I turned on my mh for a few minutes just to see what kind of heat it would generate, and the hood itself started smelling like hot metal. So I'm thinking something that cools it directly would be best, no?**********

16. If I have a tent in my closet is it okay to exhaust into my bedroom? Ill have my window open
    Im have 600w mh hps

17. if you exhausted into the room where would you pulling air in from. if its from the same room the air will be hot

18. Venting into the room with the window will be fine for the fall, winter, spring. You will probably run into issues come summer without an AC

19. Im have intake in the closet and exhaust in the room that the closet is in
    Your right I worry about that then lol