Ventilation FAQ

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bohbo, May 4, 2010.

1. yea at the top outside of the tent. I keep the tent closed.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. here are the girls and the temp they are 14 days old.

Attached Files:

3. Girls look good! The second pic looks like there may be some damaged leaves, hard to tell with the LED lights on her. Which LED are you using?

The fact that your running LED has now gotten me really interested. You shouldn't be dealing with temp issues with LEDs, not that high of a temp atleast. If you have a second thermometer, place it near your intake outside the tent and see what your temps are. The only conclusion I can come to is that either your ambient temps are too high or the intake is being stifled causing poor air circulation/high temps.

But again I'm just working on my first "real" grow so this is all noob knowledge....
    Gotta give my disclaimer..lol

4. I also have a 600w mh at 50%. Is it ok for them to reach at the light. I have two led they really do work I have two different 300w both from Amazon 250. One is full spectrum and 1 is 9 spectrum. They do more reaching under the full spectrum and faster under the 9 spectrum. I have used the mh in rations ill cut it on for 8hours and the leds do the rest. I will check air coming in temp. Leds work

5. Sounds like the ambient temp outside the tent may be too high... Another option would be to switch the LEDs off when the MH comes on, that may reduce any heat spikes you see.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

6. Ok I believe its the ambient temperature I cut the ac down to 60 well see

7. What is the difference in temp from inside the tent compared to the room the tent is in? Usually you should be able to achieve a temp inside the tent that is within 5-10* of the ambient room temp generally speaking.

8. I got it down to 81 with the tent open. I closed the tent it went right back up. Im broke til next Thursday. Plants growing like crazy though. Nice roots too

9. thanks all for the help

Attached Files:

10. Oh sweet, so my carbon filter wasn't as big as I thought and can fit the fan and filter vertically with no bends in ducting.

Quick question, though, on what would be better. I've heard various sources on pushing and pulling through a carbon filter, some say pushing is better (more surface area) and some say pulling is better.

1) Is pulling really better?
    2) Since I can't fit my filter inside my box I thought of having a rubbermaid bin on top of my box connected with ducting. Inside the rubbermaid bin I can have the fan and carbon filter sitting in the open, pulling through the filter and exhausting out the back of the bin. Basically like a little air exchange box of sorts - if that makes sense to you guys.

Would that be worth the hassle when I can just stack the two on top of my box and push through? It wouldn't be much more work at all really, just not sure which would be best.

Thanks!

11. I didn't read through this whole thread, but I have a question.

I've got a 600w ballast with a MH conversion bulb for veg and a HPS bulb for flower. I have a hood reflector (photo below) but it doesn't have a hole for a fan or ducting like some I've seen. However it does have vents at various locations.

My question is, since it doesn't have holes for a fan, can I just install a fan and ducting like at the top of my closet door and vent the whole grow room like that instead?

If so, what size fan will I need? Will a 6" inline fan do the job? ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411132886.794860.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411132958.723525.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411133070.129260.jpg

12. #1034 Atmo, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014

I mean either way the air is passing the carbon filter before it is exhausted. I remember seeing a diagram where pulling through the carbon filter has air passing carbon more toward the opening and less so near the top, where pushing through seemed to disperse the air more evenly, giving more surface area contact with the carbon. I'm willing to bet there isn't a HUGE difference, though.. as long as it isn't skunk air coming out it's all good :smoke:
    I've just heard advocates for both methods. My last grow I pushed through with no problems, though, but obviously want what is best for the longevity of my fan, efficiency of the filter and best use of carbon. I think I've been too worried about strain on my fan, but it's a good Soler & Palau fan, designed to have some resistance being in a long ducting channel at least.

13. That setup and size of fan should work great.

That would

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1328381-Zachazooms-Scrog-Grow

14. Hello all , I have a little problem in my medical grow room . I have a 9x10x8 grow room with a 6 inch hydro farm fan and a 4 inch whole cut for intake. I'm just running my floursents for veg. And I'm having trouble with the heat and air exchange my hydro farm fan is rated at 400 cfm .the intake is blowing strong from the 4 inch whole .fan is sucking strong but still seems to be a little warm and stuffy even at night when it reaches the low 60s . Also I have one air cir. Fan for the room.I have the exhaust going into my attic .the attic has two air vents one on each end .but still is getting hot in grow room my outside air is in the 80s and that's where I'm getting my fresh air from but even at night its only about 5 degrees difference! Please help a fellow cannahead cool his room down thx for reading .

15. You need more intake passive intake holes!! Ideally you would have at least 2 x 6" intake holes if you have a single 6" exhaust. The other option would be to add a 4" vortex fan to the intake. Personally I would add more/bigger intake holes because its cheaper!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

16. Thank you pysphere for the quick respoces I'm gonna try and use another 4 inch whole its kinda hard to make a six inch whole where I'm venting from its in between 2x4s hence the 4 inch wholes . So should I use three 4 inch wholes or just two???
    This is gonna be my first grow in this room just built it hope all works out ! Thx for all feed back canna heads and special thx to pysphere

17. I'd definitely recommend 3 if not 4 x4" intake holes

18. Wow instant help love it OK I'm gonna do three 4 inch holes and see how it works !thx pypsphere if there was a way to blaze online I would smoke a fattie with you ! Lol