DWC & Nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by herbalthumb, May 1, 2010.

1. Hi GC Im about to start my first hydro system and Im using a DWC system, it seems pretty easy. Anyways im wondering after about a week if my plants drink say a liter of water and i fill it back up to the correct level, then do i put all the nuts back in(however much allocated to my water level) the tub and just keep repeating or what?????????????????

TY

2. After your plants have absorbed some solution and some has evaporated, take a reading of the solution TDS. If, for example, you started at 1000ppm and after a few days it is at 1200ppm, then you should back it down because it was too strong. On the other hand, if before you top off the reservoir the solution reads 800ppm, then the solution was not strong enough. You can do this when topping off the reservoir and adjusting nutrient strength levels, but after a week or two, it is recommended that you change out the entire reservoir with fresh solution. Make sense?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sometimes messages like that one could be useful for everyone to see so I will just post it here.

TDS is the total dissolved salts in your nutrient solution or in other words, the strength of it. It is usually measured in parts per million, or PPM. There are pen-like handheld meters that can read this as well as meters to read the pH of the solution. pH refers to the amount of H+ ions in the solution or essentially the acidity or alkalinity of the solution. My advise would be to do some searching, starting at the absolute beginners page where you will find concise guides on growing in DWC from step-to-step. Once you have absorbed all of that data, then decide exactly how you want to start your grow. Once you are up and running, you will most likely run into a few questions. At that point, grab your camera and take a few shots and put them up here and someone will come to the rescue! Now get to work!

4. Could you point out any detailed guides about this subject for i am not finding any detailed guides about this, all of em just highlight the subject....TY

5. how do i know what my ppm should be at he start of my grow

6. At this point, I would suggest just following the recommendations from the manufacturer of the nutrients you are using. They will give you a generic amount of nutrients to add to each gallon (or liter) of water. Most nutrient manufacturers offer nutrient calculators on their website to help you along the way. Then, all you really have to keep adjusted is the pH which is very crucial. If you are doing DWC, then 5.8 will be perfect but make sure to keep it between 5.5 and 6.0. peace!