Downshift's Cheapest, Easiest Micro Scrubber on the Net! ~$6 per filter!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by DownShift, Apr 20, 2010.

1. It sounds like this filter is worth a try for your situation, but if there is any way you can get activated carbon for aquariums (pet stores have it), you will find that it is a wayyy better filter media then that stuff I used on this filter.

2. That's so perfectly convenient =) Thank~you!

3. heres a link to VERY cheap new activated carbon and pc fans w/ power supplys for scrubbers.
    link: My Products

4. Sweet thread I'm at Walmart right now about to get the carbon!

5. I can understand this sentiment, but I feel compelled to give you my two cents on this in an effort to make you approach the situation in the safest way possible. Just a couple of things:

1.) There is an ENORMOUS difference between the smell of pot being smoked and pot being grown. Anyone who has ever been around the latter will immediately recognize the scent. At that point, your security has been breached.

2.) Consider the investment versus the return here. You could go spend $300-400 on an ounce of (probably mediocre) commercial, or you could spend that same amount of money on a setup that could produce 4x that amount every single month with the right genetics and some practice. And out of that 300-400, the ~$100-150 it costs to purchase an inline fan and real carbon scrubber is well worth the money. Your $400 can turn into 4x that or more with very little effort on your part once you get the environment dialed in as best you can.

Bottom line, in my mind anyways, is that if you're going to do something you should do it right. I understand the concept of "stealth" and I get that a lot of micro growers don't want it to sound like a Boeing is taking off in their closet, but there are ways to mitigate that. And frankly, if we're talking stealth, which is more obvious to someone -- the pungent smell of herb being grown, or the sound of what could easily be explained away as a dehumidifier, heater/blower, or any number of other fairly innocent items?

Either way, I don't want it to sound like I'm knocking my boy here, because this thread is great and I like to see these ideas getting thrown around...just wanted to toss that out there and say that safety is job #1, and that includes everything from proper wiring to odor control.

Just my $.02, that and a dollar might get you a cup of coffee somewhere :wave:

6. Cool idea. I'd cut a bigger piece first, place it on the fan and push the box so the ends go between the fan and the box, to keep it tight. Then I'd add the rest of the layers. Still, amazing and easy, thanks for this!

7. Don't mean to wake the dead here but if in between those carbon sheets you put activated carbon like the ones from your fish tank which can be easily obtained at petco well then you can make this a more permanent fix that only needs changing once every two or three grows.

8. Yeah, actually I'm thinking of doing something very similar to this on my next grow. I think that the downside of this filter was that those filter pads don't scrub odor nearly as good as activated carbon. If anyone tries this, let me know!

9. Well It's tried and true with a few slight mods including my activated carbon one and it's got me through quite a few grows so far. If you don't mind I would like to make a tut on this with my simple mods and I would surely credit you. Only if you want though.

10. Absolutely! We need more tutorials on simple scrubbers for micro setups. That's why I made this one, it's just too bad the damned thing didn't work too great :eek:

11. I have a tutorial im posting on something else soon and i'll do one on this as well now and im just curious but did this work for you as well as it did for me or did you not try it yet?

12. Haven't tried it yet man. The perpetual cab in my sig is the last grow I did, and that was quite a while ago. I decided a few days ago to start again, and the seeds are in the mail, so it's gonna be a bit before I need a scrubber.

I think that the only reason the one in my original design didn't work is that it didn't include any activated carbon. If it worked for you with some activated carbon included, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work for anyone else!

13. very true lol I hope all goes well and i'm planning on running a grow soon too