Wisdom Teeth getting Removed

Discussion in 'General' started by Bud420, Apr 13, 2010.

1. #1 Bud420, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
    I have to get 3 wisdom teeth removed. All three are sideways :D

What can I expect during the surgery? Will I be aware of what is happening? Will I have to do anything like spit rinse anything like that?How long will it take?

What pain pills can I expect for afterwards?

2. Expect getting knocked the FUCK out. Once the drugs are put into your veins, just try to stay awake.

You will wake up in a bed asking yourself what happened.

Then you will have some vicodin to keep yourself zoned out for a while.

3. I got perks for my surgery. I had the same thing you did, all four teeth were growing in sideways. They took them all out at the same time. However, you cannot spit, and it's not recommended for awhile.

The surgeron should give you a paper with everything you can and can't do. Soft food diet, don't eat popcorn even after the stitches come out. It will get stuck and infected.

I was put under for my surgery, when I woke I was driven home by a family member and laid in bed, constantly changing gauze in my mouth until the bleeding stoppd. Sleep on your back, keep gauze in for awhile. I suggest making mashed potatoes before hand, a ton.. I went through 10 pounds of potatoes. You need to eat a lot of soft food, to prevent from getting sick from the antibotics. Also, soups and drinks - make sure to let them cool at room temp, the same goes with the mashed potatoes.

You cannot brush your teeth for a day or two afterwards, and the same goes to rinsing. When you're able to rinse for the first few days do not swish it, just put warm salt water in your mouth and tilt your head and let it run over the wounds. When you are able to brush again - do not go all the way back and hit the wisdoms.

This is all from my personal expierence my man. Good luck, I hope all goes well. Also, stay away from smoking if you can, you will get dry socket and that sucks. Maybe bake some good soft food for yourself before the surgery.

Hope this helps you out man! Good luck once again.

4. I just got my wisdom teeth out two weeks ago, the thing is a quick in and out.
    First they hook you up to the nitrous so, if you've ever tried whippits youknow what to expect, but basically by the time they plug you up to the I.V. they could be sawing your leg off and you'd still be feeling good, ahahah. The I.V. is a sort of morphine cocktail will put you right out.
    Afterwards you get a scrip for antibiotics and pain meds (vicodin for me) and they tell you not to smoke, use straws, or eat any crunchy foods.
    I pretty much just slept and slurp'd soup the first day, and the second day I did basically the same thing only ate macaroni and cheese and mash'd potatoes from Boston Market and damn did they hit the spot.
    By the fourth or fifth day I had some minor pain where the teeth used to be but I was able to eat this big old italian meat-and-cheese dish a buddy of mine concoct'd.
    Easy easy stuff just make sure to do what the doc tells you to or else you could end up with a dry socket and trust me you don't want one.

5. I had all four removed and I got perks. I do not even remember being in the doctor's office after. Apperently he told me a bunch of important stuff, and my mom kept asking why I did not know any of it.

6. So I will not be aware of whats going on right?

7. If they put you under, you won't know shit. I was sleeping. Woke up couldn't talk and was just loopy.

8. theyll put you to sleep...then youll wake up in the chair kinda loopy...when i got mine out they gave me ibprofun and hydrocodine, and a rule book on what to and not to do...

9. When they put you under you'll be out cold, you wake up an hour later but it feels as if no time has passed at all, it's really simple, easy, quick in-and-out.
    Honestly when I was going in to get mine out the other week I was a little anxious going in, but i'm tellin you man, it'sa cinch.
    O' and don't eat anything for 6 hours before the procedure, you might possibly puke afterwards because of the I.V. drip.

10. I had one removed and was awake the whole time. Local anesthesia and I saw him grab this metal twirly thing, screw in, pull out, gauze in mouth and I was out the door 5 minutes after. He didn't prescribe me any painkillers, told me to take Tylenol. Come to think of it, what an asshole :mad:

You'll probably get prescribed some painkillers though. Do not, DO NOT, suck in. Don't. No straws, nothing that would require you to suck unless you want to go back there because of a dry socket. Eat soft foods (duh). The pain (for me) kinda sucked but I think with the painkillers they will give you, you'll be fine.

11. Take the drugs. It's miserable as hell to have it done without any sedation. That goes double if they have to really dig to get at the teeth.

I was pretty sore for a week, and then moderately sore for another week. Keep things on hand like sorbet, ice cream, yogurt, jello, etc. Expect swollen cheeks and lots of gargling with salt water.

I don't recommend smoking afterward, either. The sucking needed to smoke or suck through a straw can dislodge blood clots. If you want, make yourself some edibles. It'll help dull the pain and won't make you as sick as prescription pain meds can.

12. you can expect to cut down on the drinking. Not implying that you drink or like to mix pills and alcohol. Hell, I don't drink, so why should I be such a prick spinner on this one.

Relax and enjoy...

13. i just got all four of mine out last monday. they gave me nitrous (laughing gas), and i requested going under, so he put the anesthsia in my IV and thats about the last thing i remember before waking up in the recovery room.

mine went really well, my face barely swelled up at all, and they havent been hurting much at all. i couldve handled it with advil, but im glad i got some hydrocodones.

oh and if ya can, get some naked juice to drink. its a really awesome smoothie, ya can find it in the fruit/vegie section of the grocery store. all natural stuff, and i swear it has healing powers. only downside is its kinda spendy. 3.50 for a 15 oz bottle, and 8.50 for the big jug, but thats here idk how prices are other places

14. I got all four of mine out at once. I did not get put to sleep.. I didn't feel any pain exactly, but I saw him bring the tools into my mouth and heard him slicing through my gums and the blade scratching against my teeth. Like I said, not any pain exactly, but I felt pressure and stuff. Was not a pleasant experience. He also didn't give me any vicodin, lolol. Fucking bastard. I got hydrocodone though.

My advice? Tell your doctor to knock you the FUCK out. And when you're at home and feelin' like the meds are wearing off... pop another pill. Don't wait for them to wear off. As SOON as you start feeling pain again, pop one. I made the mistake of letting the meds wear off and was laying there bawling as I waited for the other pill to take affect. It takes a lot for me to cry, too. :/

I also have pictures of the whole after experience. Pretty grotesque, but if you don't mind blood I'd share them. :p

15. hydrocodone is vicodin mate lmao

ya i knew i wouldnt be able to stand watching them take the teeth out so i made sure i was put out

16. It's the generic form, I thought?

And yeah, I should have asked. Too late now, I guess. But I know for any other surgery after this. :p

17. Yes, hydrocodone = vicodin. I had an apicoectomy without sedation (it wasn't offered) and it was HELL. They drilled into the bone to complete a failed root canal. I was shaking so hard that I was sore for days. The sound alone was horrific, and the pressure was worse. It was only a half hour procedure and one tooth, and it was bad enough. Four teeth, and I would have passed out.

So take the drugs. It's worth it. :)

18. Well shit, guess I have been misinformed. o:
    Regardless, the rest of my pills that I didn't use got nicked by my uncle. I had left them on my night stand for like a month, untouched and one day I came home and they were gone. I was so pissed. :p

19. After reading all this I am making sure they knock me the fuck out