Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Is this probable cause?

• Please log in to reply

Toke and Drum

Toke and Drum

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
So I was watching campus PD today. There was a part where the cops went to someones house for a noise complaint. before they knocked on the door they looked in the window and saw two glass pipes. They knock on the door and they tell the guy they saw the paraphernalia. The owner of the house says they are used for tobacco. The officer says it is still probable cause and walked in the house to grab them. They got a ticket for paraphernalia.

My question is: Is this really probable cause? They sell glass pipes for tobacco, so it wasn't completely unreasonable for the owner to have glass pipes.

Edit: The pipes were used for marijuana, but I don't think you would be able to tell the difference in resin that far away.

Edited by Toke and Drum, 13 April 2010 - 03:15 AM.

Similar Topics: Is this probable cause?     x

StarshipRoflcop

StarshipRoflcop

space-monkey

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
im no expert on the law but i'm pretty sure that without residue on the pipe in question that tests positive for THC then you can't get a paraphernalia charge. maybe that's just my state tho...

:confused_2:

C.O.smokesdank

C.O.smokesdank

• Registered Upgraded
  • 225 posts
^word, but the cops will do anything they can and be shady to fuck over a harmless smoker.

tranquiltoker28

tranquiltoker28

Pessimistic Optimist

• Registered Upgraded
  • 843 posts

So I was watching campus PD today. There was a part where the cops went to someones house for a noise complaint. before they knocked on the door they looked in the window and saw two glass pipes. They knock on the door and they tell the guy they saw the paraphernalia. The owner of the house says they are used for tobacco. The officer says it is still probable cause and walked in the house to grab them. They got a ticket for paraphernalia.

My question is: Is this really probable cause? They sell glass pipes for tobacco, so it wasn't completely unreasonable for the owner to have glass pipes.

Edit: The pipes were used for marijuana, but I don't think you would be able to tell the difference in resin that far away.

Yes, it was probable cause, because of something called the plain view rule. If paraphernalia is out in the open (meaning the officer can see it w/o moving stuff around or even entering the home), the officer can assume you've been smoking illegal substances out of them. I know the owner may have said they were used for tobacco, but it's common knowledge that spoon pipes are used for weed more often than tobacco. Moral of the story is: if you're going to be smoking in your house, don't leave your shit out in plain view. Sorry about the ticket, but that's the law. It really sucks. :(

Herb.

Herb.

the mack.

• Registered Upgraded
  • 473 posts

The cop was lying. The flawed system allows him to in order to make unfair busts like these when they're bored.

AnarchyOriginal

AnarchyOriginal

Grow Your Dreams

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

It's called "In Plain Sight" and if an officer can see it he will not just ignore it. Same thing if your ridin' dirty and get pulled over...the officer IS going to look thru your windows and if he spots anything that might resemble paraphernalia that is "probable cause"........That's why when we party...we have a special room for tokin' up...so unless the police have a "search warrant" they aren't gonna see shit!:cool:

snozzberries

snozzberries

• Registered Upgraded
  • 425 posts
its probable cause, due to the plain sight doctrine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users