Grinder VS Fingers?

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by secool, Apr 12, 2010.

1. umm...most of the ones people are using are made from aluminum because it is a lot cheaper, it is a softer metal so it is easier to machine on a CNC(automated) mill therefore the operator can turn the speed of the machine up and make more grinders quicker than stainless. im a gunsmith so i know a lot about different metals. and there really isnt any way metal shavings are going to get into the bud the only metal surfaces that touch are the sides where the top that spins meets the surface of the bottom.

you droped 100 on a grinder? damn i though i found the most expenive one out there at 45. can it grind coffee also? lol jk. but anyway even if you get the 10$ one it is still better than using ur fingers it just wont have a kief catch. and for a little bit more cash you can get a good three piece.

and another thing i just figured out the other day is get a nickel and clean it and throw that above the screen and when you grind up some bud shake and swirl the grinder and that will help nock the kief through the screen and it will build up quicker. another good idea i figured out the other day also is use a credit card, drivers-licence or something similar to get the kief out of the catch. the whole point is not to touch it so skoop it out carefully and it will screw you up. im actually saving mine so i can make a hash cookie. and im waiting till 420 to do that...and my b-day is the 18th so i dont know how this month can get any better! :bongin:

2. ya i love to smell mine fist also. when you get some fukin stinkey, skunky dank it just adds a nice touch to smoking it. and i think it smells even better after i run it through the grinder.

lets just leave it this way, i love smoking, it doesnt matter how(bong, bubbler, spoon) i love the feelings. i like my grinder and would recommend one to anybody.

3. #43 Turles, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
    @sinsemilla: This entire thread is about how much more you get out of your weed with using a grinder. Of course it lasts longer. You get more out of it. You wouldn't have collected all that kief, a lot would've likely been lost without a grinder. You can smoke it right after you grind your weed or a month from now.

I will agree that it is not a fact -- but an opinion only because of personal preference. Some people will use it then and some will not. Most people like saving their kief much like resin, for dry times. I'd say that if you smoked a month ago and still have kief from then (it is weed), then you've made it last longer.

edit: Of course you pull the weed off the stems.. In most cases with nice buds you can usually just hold the stem and brush it against the teeth of a grinder to dislodge them without much hassle. :) If you're smoking stems, you have to be desperate.. lol

4. I don't know where I'd be without my trusty grinder. Best investment ever.

5. Depends on the Vaporizer. With some vapes, if you grind to sand, it will fall through the screen and possibly ruin your vape. Some vapes prefer a higher grind than others.

Some people like to keep all the kief with their weed every time they smoke/vape it, so for them, a 2pc grinder would work very well.

There have been TONS of reports of aluminum grinders getting metal shavings in their bud, either from lousy washing and finishing leaving metal shaving in there from the mill, or that the tolerances aren't fine enough allowing the teeth to periodically rub up against one another. There are well made grinders, however, where this will never be an issue.

6. No... it's not. It's a pro con.. read the title. You're making assumptions... "Of course it lasts longer.".. without giving anyone ANY reason to believe them. Like I said before nothing a grinder does can make your weed last longer.

Of course... that's my preffered setup... a 2pc and a kief box to store the immediate use buds in instead of a bag or a jar. I use jars for long term storage.

7. Yeah. I've used a ti SpaceCase 4pc for almost a year now, but I've decided that I want as much kief in my bud EVERY TIME I vape, so I gave away my 4pc to a friend and now using the 2pc ti SpaceCase and lovin' it.

btw, scissors and a shot glass work really well too.

8. Lwien do you also use a keif box prior to the 2 piece?
    I have a 2 piece titanium Space Case as well, and it's great. Sometimes though I like to cut up small amounts with scissors.

9. My buddy has a 2pc ti spacecase. He has a problem with the outside edges (where the pieces meet) gunking up too much too quickly. I've never had this problem with any grinder until after months of use. Is he doing something wrong or maybe his pieces don't meet closely enough to avoid getting green between them?

I told him to keep the larger side up when grinding but he said that hasn't helped.

10. I have a grinder but I use my hands. Especially since some asshole ex-friend took the screen out of my grinder.

11. Yeah, me too. Especially if the bud is really fresh and sticky. Grinders do better when the bud is a bit on the dry side.

Probably it's because of the way the grinder is orientated when he grinds. Suggest to him that he should hold the grinder horizontal rather than vertical when grinding. That should help. I've never had this problem.

12. Grinder. No question about it.

13. I use my fingers for glass pieces when I'm not in a rush but I use my grinder for joints, blunts and if I'm on the go. From what I noticed whenever I grind my bud and and put it in a glass piece(usually my bong) I notice that the weed stays cherry and continues to burn much when someones not hitting and also since the weed is sitting so uniform in the bowl it tends to just get cashed quicker than when I break it up with my fingers. It could just be that my grinder breaks it up to small but idk I prefer my fingers now after using a grinder for a while.

14. I like breaking it up by hand.

15. i prefer a grinder for the vast reasons claimed, catchers and skin being a magnet yet i must admit then when i get something really dank i use my fingernails because it seems like my grinder does a real crappy job breaking it up....

anyone got suggestions on how to clean a metal grinder with out metal shavings and loosing the residue? im having a gut feeling that why mine has such trouble grinding anymore

16. Sure. Take apart your grinder and put it in a baggie or jar full of ISO Alcohol, shake, scrub down with tooth brush, rinse with water, dry, and you're good to go. You can even then pour the after-wash ISO in a dish and evaporate for some Qwiso that you can smoke later.

17. :eek: i can seriously clean with alcohol let it evaporate and smoke the left over?! can i do this with resin from my pipes too?

18. That is what's called Qwiso hash. Make sure to use the highest percentage rubbing alcohol you can find. You can do it with grinder residue or leaf trim if you grow. You COULD do it with pipe resin but I think it's nasty personally

If there's large particles though you should strain them out, make sure to pour the ISO on a shallow Pyrex dish then scrape it up after it's been evaporated completly.

19. I just want to elaborate on NYC's comment.

You can also be super stingy, like myself, and save all your stems.... then use those too. :D

20. I use a grinder for a few reasons:

1.) I get to save kief, I get really really high off chronic, even just a small bowl to myself. And if I save up kief I can sprinkle some kief on tiny bowls when the bag is almost out and I can extend the time until I need a new bag.

2.) When I am drunk I do not want to break up weed with my fingers period. Its possible I can drop it or just not do it well and get lazy, easier to just stick it in a grinder.

3.) Sometimes I like to pack bowls outside and taking a pinch out of a grinder is a lot less sketchy and just flat out quicker than breaking it up (even if you do it over the actual bowl some can still get blown out or just fall out while you are breaking it up).

So grinder is always my choice, sometimes it pisses me off how small it gets crushed into to but oh well I usually just use my finger and press it down through the screen lol