Grinder VS Fingers?

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by secool, Apr 12, 2010.

1. I use a grinder for joints but my fingers for everything else. I like chunks in my glass but my grinder grinds it too fine with even just 1/2 turn. And there's plenty of dank for everybody around here so I could care less about lost trichs. I used to be so anal about collecting kief (I use wikka) that my dank wasn't quite what it used to be. I never scrape my herb EVER in the box, I want max kief right then and there NOT later!! I do always break it up in the box tho, and after a couple zips of dank it's still a nice stash!! Plus, I still feel like a kid telling people to "here, smell my finger!!". Peace.

2. My hands are too damn clammy 24/7 to do it with my fingers.

3. I lack a grinder, but instead of using my hands, I use a shot glass and scissors. The only downfall, cutting the stems down(if not careful) will launch some green out of the glass. It's nothing too major, but we want all we can get, right?:bongin:

4. Grinder, of course! So much easier than picking it apart, especially if you're outside somewhere.

Also, if you have a really fine paintbush, you can just brush all the kief off the grinder teeth and into whatever you're smoking easily!
    That said, I recommend geting a grinder with a pollen catcher on it. if you smoke a lot and grind up all your stuff with it, after a while you'll have a nice ammount stored in it... which is especially nice when you're out of bud and check your grinder to find a nice pile of kief!

5. I'v been useing my fingers sence day one n have never let me down
    So yeah Fingers all the way.

6. I use a grinder whenever possible but I'm not an elitist who thinks you're completely ruining it if you don't have one. I'm anal about handling my product.

7. Looks like i'll be using my grinder more often :hello:

8. Grinders are an epic WIN for two reasons, one when you use a grinder all the trichs and kief that might fall off when grinding will only land in the kief catch were you can scrape it up later to smoke, and when you grind your bud the consistency of it makes for better bowls because now you have more surface area of bud to light and you use more of the bud efficiently.

9. So am I losing a significant amount of trichs even if im brushing off all the stuff that sticks to my fingers?

10. Depends on the weed and your hands. Sometimes I can break down weed with my hands and all the kief stays in the weed pile. Sometimes it's all over my fingers because they're sweaty, oily or dirty. Sometimes the kief is just too sticky to use my hands so I grab a pair of scissors.

My grinder was confiscated by the po po. :mad:

The only way to be sure you're not throwing away kief is to get a 3pc or a kief box. Duh.

11. ya anybody that hasent smoked ground bud...you need to. there is nothing like the hit you can take from ground bud. its a lot more consistant and you can get more of the bowl light so you get a stronger rip. my grinder was the best investment i have made. and when i get the cash im going to get one of the ones from gc that has the vibrator to shake the kief down to the bottom. they are like 45. i will post some pics later today of what some looks like ground up.

12. Didn't even bother reading the thread -- I know everyone will say the same thing, haha.

There is no question, grinding your weed mechanically is better than using your fingers. For starters, you're touching it less. The more you touch it, the more the oil on your fingers absorb and waste THC.

Secondly, having your green well grounded creates more surface area. It will burn better, smoother and stays lit longer without burning away. If you're using a vaporizer, grind it until it's like sand, no reason not to.

Grinding up a nice little nug can give you a nice ass pile you weren't expecting. A grinder will make your weed last longer. Not to mention you have a cheap new piece that very quickly accumulates a massive amount of kief and small shake when you scrape it.

Forgot to mention, but gas stations sell grinders, it's where I bought my first one. All of the Texaco's around here have the poker chip grinders. I think they call them "mullers" or something there. Hope that helps.

13. #35 smeecree, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
    I guess I'm the only one but I kind of prefer just using my fingers.

I like the smell of funk on my hands and I like to handle the buds and kind of examine them while I'm packing it up.

Also not having a grinder is at least one less thing to worry about if I have an encounter with the police.

Don't get me wrong, grinders are awesome and you can't beat they way the collect kief. I don't know though, I just prefer breaking it down by hand.

14. get a grinder, and a good one. i dropped 100 on a space case and was not the least bit disappointed. Everyone here has already said why a grinder is useful. better hits, save keif, don't have to touch the nugs as much. I just also wanted to point out that you really get what you pay for with a grinder. Stainless steel and the proper sized screen will mean no metal dust in your smoke and maximum keif production :D

15. I sniff my stash jar a lot.. lmao. I know I'm not the only one who looooves the smell.

Another tip would be to definitely wash your hands. Just running hot water over your hands before you touch buds make them so much easier to handle, def. when it's dank shit and sticky as hell.

Question for anyone here with a DSLR or whatever, you definitely wash your hands before you start picking 'em up because that might sop up some trichs, right? :p

16. Some of this is not true. A grinder won't make your weed last longer.. it will save you kief. It might actually make your weed last less time..... walk with me for a minute on this one.

You're using your fingers to grind bud... any excess kief that doesn't stick to your fingers ends up in your pile of weed. You smoke it right then and get ripped.

You're using your grinders to grind bud... any excess kief that doesn't stick to the teeth and walls of the grinding section ends up in your kief catch. You don't smoke it with the weed and get less high. To get more high you smoke more weed.

Of course you get all that kief back later... but that doesn't help you unsmoke the extra weed you smoked.

17. Ya I'm with you Smee, just gives me a better sense of what im putting in i guess. All too many times i see kids throw the fattest nug into the grinder only to have that giant stem get ground along with it. I don't like smoking stems, no matter how fine they are.

18. use a shotglass and scissors if you dont wanna use a grinder, works best for dank and saves all the trichs