Outdoor stealth dry?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by kdizzle1976, Apr 10, 2010.

1. This will be my first year growing and I will be doing an outdoor guerilla grow. My question is about the drying process.

I really have nowhere that I can dry my harvest because of the smell. I am wondering if it is cool to make a very low to the ground "clothes line" out of fishing line or something to do kind of a stealth dry? Is this what most people do?

2. I'm going to have the same problem. Noooooo ideaaaa what to do. Looking forward to seeing some ideas.

3. I've been wondering too, my idea was to find some low shrubs or bushes and put the cut branches in there to dry for a week.

The only problem with outdoor drying would be the rain...

4. The only alternative option I have is that I own an old car that I no longer drive. I was thinking I could dry my bud in the trunk if need be. I'm not sure how good of an option that is either though.

Hopefully we can get a seasoned guerilla grower to help us all out here?

5. Maybe a tent?

6. you can also climb a tree and dry it in the branches

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. I was planning on nailing one of those large rubber totes to the side of a tree. cutting strips in the bottom plastic for ventilation, and then putting the bud inside.

If this is a dumb idea I'll probably just buy a camo tent. What do you think?

8. Im just hanging my bud at the grow spot, but maybe behind some trees or bushes just incase someone does visit the site. Think about it... if noone visited you site for the 5 -6 months you grow, chances arenoone will when you dry it for 2 weeks.

9. Outdoor wouldn't be a bad place since there is plenty of air circulation and not too high of level of humidity at all times. I'd try to hang them somewhere stealthy and maybe cover with some sort of camouflage. You don't want elements like rain or snow coming down on your drying buds. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  10. get some moving boxes from Home Depot or Lowes and put some string in them so you can hang the buds and then cut a few air holes in the sides and then set em somewhere safe and maybe put some leaves, broken branches and shit around them, this might work?

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have an issue with curing where you grow outside... And that's the rain.

Dry spell/normal condtions, alright.. I can see this doing this outside, in a box, etc...

You would need a backup plan. If, at a few days in, you are experiencing a tremendous amount of humidity and rainfall in your area, your crop could be jeopardized.

12. Not noticing a cannabis plant that was hidden in a cleverly secretive spot living amongst other green plants in a woods or forest place is a lot more likely than not noticing buds drying on a line inbetween two trees.

Not to mention if you went 5-6 months waiting for your plant to grow, and now your getting your harvest, how disapointed would you be if it got ripped off at that point.

I'm really liking the box idea because I think if you really got some good cover on top of it it be pretty good for water, animals, and people. Still a bit risky but I think it's better then hanging them out in the open.

13. Ill encounter the same problem as well as this is going to be my first season guerrilla growing... The box idea seams to be ideal but what about humidity and spider mites/insects... Where i live, humidity levels are ridiculously high...

14. So far we have more questions than answers in here. Any experienced geurilla growers want to help us out?

15. I am a noob grower but before I have started I am trying to think of every possible problem/solution. This is what I decided for the drying process:

Buy some of the 100L or so waste bins from homeware shop.
    Fill the bottom with calcium chloride (drying agent.... Rock salt) and run string across the top.
    Put holes in the bottom for drainage if needed
    A few holes where string is for air circulation
    Bang the lid on to stop rain etc
    Paint it green and stick it in a bush for 5 days.

Any probs with this????

• Like Like x 1
  16. Great Question.

I've also been pondering some solutions and the main problem I see is controlling the humidity. I live in the deep south and come late august, humidity is often very high.
    As most know, Humidity = Moldy Buds, which is not cool at all. IF possible I would harvest on a stretch of days that humidity forecast is low, I figure that 3 perfect days would be enough to get a descent cure before they go into the mason jars, but I would prefer 5.
    This year is my first grow of any sorts in ages, but ive been around the MJ cultivating scene long time, since the haydays of OverGrow.com (which aided me in my first few grows).
    I hope that all of us who have this similar problem of curing outdoors can come together and find a solution that will aid us all in a happy harvest.

Any people who want to network and share ideas/experiences in cultivating, please feel free to pm me. Im always looking to learn new insight and share some of the insight i've absorbed over the many many years of following.

InRoute247

17. Good luck getting fully developed, rock hard outdoor buds to dry outside in 3-5 days in a humid climate. Mine have always taken at least 10 days indoors with some stretching out to two+ weeks, and that's with constant air circulation in lower humidity (30-40%) after the initial trim.

Sorry I can't offer any viable solutions but high humidity and outdoor drying conditions present significant challenges.

18. I saw a video where he dried it in a tarp and everyday he would open it up, but it would have to be a dry time most def.

19. I suggest that all you guys work on finding a secure location to dry your crop. Outside is just a bad idea. Its gonna take almost a week to dry big ass buds at the end of the season, and thats in optimal conditions. Outside on a line or in a box is nowhere near optimal.

No one here has hit on the fact that you get dew every night and that is counterproductive to your drying.

find a trustworthy friend that will let you dry in his house, find a shed, anything but trying to get a real good dry outside. It's just not the best idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sound advice.