lst vs supercropping vs topping vs FIMing for more yield

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by johnjohn, Apr 9, 2010.

1. I have never used any of these techniques before, just grew the plants naturally, but now I want to try one of them. Obviously, I am looking for best yield I can get, I cannot change the 3 gallon buckets and 600watt lights, but I can try one of the methods above to get a larger final product.

I have read about each technique and have a basic understanding but I was wondering what is your personal preference and why?

I am growing white widow and bubblegum strains indoors in good organic soil.

2. Sounds YUMMY!

I'm gonna try LSTing my upcoming venture.....oh, I can't WAIT!!!

3. ok, let me ask this better:

1. what is the advantage of supercropping vs lst, why not just tie down and bend instead of almost breaking the stem?

2. FIMing seems better than topping if you get more than 2 from 1 but what if you fuck up on the FIM cut, would you still get at least 2?

I am considering doing a combination of topping and lst but I am questioning setting up a SCROG instead.... anyone?

4. LST is by far the easiest in my opinion. It is, after all Low Stress, and allows you to fill up your growing space however you want by slowly leading the plant around the circumference of your pot. Once the secondary growth is to a desirable height, you can tie it down again and again, creating many horizontally directed shoots, or flower it, as long as it's had at least about a month to six weeks in veg.

Topping and FIMing is advantageous however because it creates a nice groundwork to work with. It's much easier to tie down a plant that has two to six branches rather than one meristem. But I wouldn't do it more than once or twice, because each branch is about half of what it would have been had it never been topped/FIMed. That's why I only do it once, usually once its rooted (cloned) or three nodes up (from seed) I don't like it better than LST, though.

Supercropping is something I haven't tried yet, but I've gotten clones that have been supercropped. I will be trying it soon, but it definitely has an effect on the plant. Even though there is a recovery period, it's worth it because the increased uptake of nutrients from the stem seems to encourage not only a thicker stem, but a bushier plant. The plant's nodes tend to be much closer together, and the plant spends alot more time on its stem rather than its leaves.

The plants I've gotten that were supercropped usually produced some of the heaviest colas and densest mary I have ever grown/smoked.

5. wow, thanks for the very informative reply. i'm thinking of topping once and then lst but supercropping now really sounds great, but I would need to veg it for much longer i guess...

6. Supercropping is when you take clones from a flowering plant and allow the bud to revert to vegetative growth. Not only are you taking a clone, one of the most stressful things you can do, but you are making that clone change growth phases too.

It takes four to six weeks for the bud to revegetate. Then you have to grow the plant out to the size you want it to be when you induce flowering. This takes anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks or longer. That is why it takes so long to supercrop.

I have used all of the methods you've listed on numerous strains. The method I use depends on the strain I'm working with.

OG Kush did very well for me when supercropped. Old Time Moonshine, on the other hand, does not like it. The OTM that was supercropped produced many thin, airy buds. Great for making hash, but not so much for making pretty nuggets.

7. I thought supercropping meant twisting the stem to almost a breaking point where it bends down and in a couple days, slowly comes back up...

8. Toledo is referring to "monster cropping", which is taking a clone from a flowering plant and reverting it back to veg.

"super cropping" is bending or breaking stems without removing the branch. This allows the branch to hang on to dear life as the plant rushes to repair the injury, creating a thicker knot with more vessels for water and nutrients to flow through.

9. Ahhh. Thank you for the clarification. I've seen the terms used interchangeably, and apparently incorrectly.

In that case, I've done both. In my most recent harvest, I flowered a few genetically identical girls of Dutch Passion Blueberry. One I topped and supercropped, and another I grew without pruning.

With regards to the length of time needed to supercrop, when you fold the stem below the apical shoot, you cause the growth hormones to shift to the lateral apical shoots... similar to when you actually top the plant, but not as drastic. When I get a minute, I'll try to put together some pics. Anyhow, when you fold the stem, you stress the plant, so you want to give it a week or two to recover before flowering , or doing whatever you are going to do with it. It also takes a week or two for the original apical shoot to catch up to the lateral shoots, and for the stem to completely heal.

10. it would be great if you have some time to post those pics?

11. for my scrog, i Fim'd, lst'd and supercroped (very little)...i like to believe my bushes are monsters :ey:

12. Not sure who reads this and don't really care. It says post a quick reply but don't know who I would be replying to. So this is just a comment and a Q.....Just looking for the right ppl with the right
    info.
    Where does one find ppl with actual experience and yrs under their belt on sites like these where one could actually get informative information ??? You know. From old guys. Or gals.

13. From reading the forums, they're all over the place. A lot of times the ones with experience have their own threads they answer questions on. Lurk more.

14. we hide out till we know, You have read the stickies. ;):smoke:

15. research then ask questions

16. #17 unojuno, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
    ---End Quote---
    Well you could learn how to use Google for a start. Not to mention the countless guides that people have taken the time to compile. Or you could just be lazy and ask questions such as this.

thats the idea asshole! I am lazy thats why I asked the fucking Q. Who the fuck wants to waste time searching the fucking web when all it takes is for someone to say what you wanted to know. Thats what a query is for... To find info you want without all the crap one reads on these shithole sites. Now fuck off if your going to be a smartass.
    Learn to use google... ya fucking dunghole

Name calling and disrespect is not tolerated here in the city,
    please report users that harass you...

Slinger

17. ^^Rule # 1 ^^
    http://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/899377-grasscity-com-forum-guidelines.html

B smarter, don't get banned.\
    Wharf

18. Uno...walkin in like he owns the joint. Gee wiz am I right?...

19. search Uno's posts ..everyone is a trollish comment made to elicit a negative response.

a few ( only has 11) have had to be moderated cause of language and abuse. :mad: