Electrical Questions Answered Here + Ohm's Law Chart

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Sativanya, Apr 7, 2010.

1. haha. No, i meant the whole grow is using 500-600 watts. Would a gfci make it safe enough? If its not too hard, I could just try to ground it myself.

2. Oh, I see. You could use a simple grounding plug adapter. The box that your two prong outlets are in is grounded and this plug has a ring attach with the screw that hold the plate on the outlet. Here is an example:

AC 3-Prong Grounding Plug Adapter 110-211

I am sure you could get one and HD or any local hardware store.

As for using an extension cord, it really depends on how big a wire is in the extension cord and how long the cord is. A 600W device does not pull a lot of amps so you should be safe with a 50' - 14ga extension cord. A 12ga cord would be better and you could run it a longer distance.

3. Thanks, marsdude. That adapter sounds like the way to go.

4. Good luck with your grow!

5. you know how each wall outlet has two plugins,can you hook up everything you need for your grow from one wall outlet with two plugs using two exstention coords and two power strips?

for instance 1 400 water,ballast,3 oscilating fans 2 inline fans from one power strip then from the other power strip 1 squirelcage fan, 2 oscilating fans, 2, 42 wat cfl's on a small power strip it'sself and a 2 foot 2bulb t5ho

6. Hi. Question here. Running electric to a grow room and connecting to an existing 20 amp breaker. I'm removing existing 220 line on 2 of the 20 amp breakers going to old baseboard heater not used in other part of basement. I have no free breakers available in the panel. My question is: Can I connect the new line to 1 of the 20 amp breakers with white going to the common bar and leave the other 20 amp breaker unused in place?
    Do I have to make it a 15 amp or is it ok to keep it 20? (I'd prefer 20) Most of the other breakers are 15 if that matters. Thanks

7. nevermind. I did it today and it worked.

8. I know this works but you should uncouple the breakers.

9. They originally had 2 separate 20 amp breakers as opposed to a double 20 amp breaker. Should I remove the unused single 20 amp or is it ok to leave it in there? Nothing is connected to it as I've removed the old wire from the panel.
    Thanks for the response.

10. There is no problem with leaving it. You just don't want the two "handles" on the switches connected. Sometimes, even with two separate breakers, there will be a pin through holes in the switch handles that will make both throw if one does.

I know you probably have already thought of all of this, but...

If you ran new wire into the panel make sure leaves the panel through one of the holes in the sides and that you have used the proper clamp in this hole. You really want to make sure that there is NO WAY the wire could pull loose from the breaker or pull the breaker out of the panel.

Run a 12g wire after that breaker - no less of a gauge or you can have a fire.

Just want to make sure you are safe! :smoke:

11. Appreciate the help. I used 12 gauge and used the same clamp that the previous (removed) 12 gauge wire used. So far the house hasn't burned down. :) I do low voltage wiring for a living, but this was my first time connecting high voltage to the panel. Using the new outlet for light while I work on the room. Nice not having to hold a flashlight anymore!

12. With the new 20 amp line, how many watts can it handle? I suck at math.

13. [quote name='"MrTee"']With the new 20 amp line, how many watts can it handle? I suck at math.[/quote]

With a continuous load. (one running 24/7) the code says 16 amps is max on a 20amp circuit.

14. Metrohunter is correct, you really do not want to load your circuit over 80% of it's rating.

A 1000W HD light with a magnetic ballast pulls about 9.5 amps. That would leave you about 6.5 amps for fans, etc.

15. This is a great resource, I read the entire collection of posts and have had all my questions answered in the content! Thanks for the info!!!!

16. Batteries are very expensive, need tons of maintenance, take up space and are very inefficient. Small diesel generator is best way to go. Gas units will not last for long runs more than 8 hours...Only diesel can run 24/7.