Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Storing Weed - Vacuum Seal & Freezing ???

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by whylogic, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Freezing takes away potency. I am talking from experience. I have tried this by putting some buds inside a vacuum sealed jar and putting them in the freezer for a month or two. When I toke it out and smoked it I could right away tell that it was not a potent as it once was.

This is only my experience and observation. But I think that some of this is caused by
    freezing the buds and the tricones, it makes the tricones brittle and they break off very easily with vet little movement.

2. I have a question about vacuum gauges for anybody.

I have a vac pump and gauge and works as expected. I wanted to try sealing a mason jar but also wanted to see how long a vacuum would hold in there after the pump was off. Was getting to around -28.5 hg when the gauge was hooked to the tube from the vac.

So I tried putting the gauge inside the mason jar instead. The needle on the gauge did not budge at ALL! What the hell? How is being inside a chamber any different for the gauge than beeping hooked off a T fitting from the vac hose? I really don't understand and why it didn't work.

Does anybody make gauges you can put inside vac chambers?

3. #23 stevizzy, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
    I've been fooling around with this for years. I had some really dank buds called JuicyFruit years ago. It was MMJ from CO. I put some away in a hermetically sealed glass jar then just let it sit in the freezer for nearly 3 years. A few months ago, I took out a big trophy bud for Christmas. I didn't touch it until it came to room temperature so the very minimum of the trichomes were knocked off the bud, I couldn't see any myself on the table where it sat. It wasn't as strong as I remember but it felt sticky, smelled awesome and tasted sweet after all those years. As far as potency goes, that's a long time to remember how strong it was because I'm basically comparing it to the varieties I'm currently smoking. Memory just doesn't last 3 years for a "high" but freshness, taste and smell are obvious.

4. Putting the gauge inside the jar is not going to work. You need to pull the vacuum on the inlet on the of the gauge.

5. define short term please

6. Has anyone tried long term storage in Mason Jars with CO2 in the jar vs. air? It would be real easy to do with dry ice and a cooler since CO2 would fall to the bottom. What element in air causes the THC to degrade. I'm looking for a storage solution in the 1-3 year range that does not involve refrigeration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Check out this site:TOXNET and it mentions about the storage of cannabis."When cannabis was stored @ -18,4, and 22 degrees centigrade the content of delta 9 THC was reduced by 3.8,5.3 and 6.9% respectively per year There was greater deterioration at higher temps..

8. Actually, I think Kushy420 included .com where .html should have been. I checked out the site myself and it's pretty big; a lot of stuff to sift through. But I did find some really good looking odor-proof bags at http://www.sorbentsystems.com/scentshield.html
    Might come in handy for those of you worried about the smell and freshness seeping out.

9. So how did the experiment turn out?

I just came across your thread after doing exactly what you were planning to do and wondering if the stuff being in a vacuum for that long hurts it. I used the regular Mylar bags that come with it. I cut them all down to much smaller bags and put 2 grams per bag. I've used some that has been in a vacuum for over a month and there's no apparent harm done. This stuff was pretty dense, not light and fluffy, so I didn't have to worry about crushing it either. And I agree, if you're going to be grinding it anyway, who cares. The only caveat to that being if the stuff is still so insanely sticky that you're going to lose a bunch of stickiness that gets stuck to the inside of the bag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. your incorrect. GET OVERIT

11. Foodsaver mason jar sealer (comes in regular and wide-mouth sizes):

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0023-01-Wide-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B00005TN7H/ref=sr_1_1/189-2225293-5456333?ie=UTF8&qid=1438386606&sr=8-1&keywords=food+saver+mason+jar+sealer

Seal material inside the mason jar, then put the mason jar inside of a regular Foodsaver bag and seal that too.

No crushing. Double sealed.

Check every so often because the Foodsaver bag tends to lose its seal over time. Reseal the mason jar in a new Foodsaver bag as needed.

Store the whole thing in a cool dry place.

Lasts for years.

12. Okaaaay, but you know, you really didn't add anything useful to the discussion, or indicate why I'm "incorrect". How about enlightening us, o great OG Kush master? We've got plenty of time, we're waiting for your wise words. [​IMG]

13. I Personally Would not freeze my own bud, Personally I Vacuum Seal and store it in the basement until further needed. How would vacuum cause more damage than freezing? The Damage Freezing causes is well understood and obvious to many. But vacuum is like the ultimate way to preserve flavor scent and integrity of any and all substances. BTW I only use jars so that weed is not crushed by a bag. so other than the pressure of the bag crushing the weed if that was the choice. again I use jars to maintain its integrity what else could damage the weed under vacuum?

14. <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="FloridaJt" data-cid="22309823" data-time="1453189382">

I Personally Would not freeze my own bud, Personally I Vacuum Seal and store it in the basement until further needed. How would vacuum cause more damage than freezing? The Damage Freezing causes is well understood and obvious to many. But vacuum is like the ultimate way to preserve flavor scent and integrity of any and all substances. BTW I only use jars so that weed is not crushed by a bag. so other than the pressure of the bag crushing the weed if that was the choice. again I use jars to maintain its integrity what else could damage the weed under vacuum?

</blockquote>

Nothing will damage the material under vacuum. I've been vacuuming it in Food Saver bags for a while now and have noticed no negative effects. The material does get a little compacted, but I grind it up before using it so the compaction is moot, in my opinion. And due to the compaction while under vacuum, I just use less ground up material each time because each subsequently ground up granule is also more compact than its non-compacted counterpart and therefore has more active constituents per unit of volume.I actually just switched to storing the material in a vacuum food jar because I was suspicious that the above scenario was causing me to use more material per session than I really wanted or needed to. The switch seems to be helping so far.

15. Bro, get a BudVac - its a glass jar that comes with a vacuum pump. You can store it in the freezer too. www.budvac.com

16. My bro works with K9 dogs (in Denver they don't care about weed). THE BEST way to mask buds is like what you did with the mac n' cheese box. I don't think freezing masks the smell at all as his dog caught out-of-staters who cut open an ice pack, put an ounce in it, sealed it and froze it back up. The dog smelled it right away from inside their cooler. Masking the smell with another strong smell definitely "tricks" the dog more than freezing. (he gave the out-of-staters the ounce back and warned them not to go to Nebraska lol)

17. Dogs nose doesn't work like yours and mine. Mask cannabis with all the strong smelling shit you want, a dog can still sniff it out.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Very true, all I'm saying is you will "likely" get more lucky masking the smell vs. freezing. If it's a good dog, you're not hiding anything.

19. I very much doubt it. Dogs noses are sensitive enough to track through some of the strongest smells. We hunt....alot. dogs can easily track across a hog lot. I don't see who would want something stronger smelling then a hog lot to cover their weed. Not to mention what tiny trace needs to be present. Dogs often track lost humans on old scent trails and such.

20. which is why likely was in quotes.