Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Why northern lights is the best strain the world will ever know

• Please log in to reply

guerilla45

guerilla45

The G-netic link

• Gold Member
  • 7,822 posts

• AK Infinity, pointswest, Al Swearengen and 2 others like this

shotti

shotti

• Registered Upgraded
  • 334 posts
intresting story + rep

Nuttella

Nuttella

Don't worry, be happy

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
What a cool story!
If I ever have the chance to smoke some Northern Lights, I will definitely remember it and smoke in honor of the few hairy men with broken chainsaws and missing teeth =D
:smoke:

jiggaboojones

jiggaboojones

reform first-legalze latr

• Bronze Member
  • 1,491 posts

Edited by jiggaboojones, 14 March 2010 - 07:59 PM.

dmitchell

dmitchell

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
that is pretty interesting. has anyone else ever noticed that there always seems to be alot of northern ligths floating around during fall/late summer?

Yourcatdead

Yourcatdead

Has a PotHead Degree

• Registered Upgraded
  • 4,554 posts
Badass. Ever since i had Northern Lights last summer it's been my favorite. It taste like....fruity. It's amazing.

lessismore

lessismore

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 3,339 posts
Very good account of Northern Lights. Wolverine, Michigan is about as backwoods as it gets in lower Northern Michigan(population was less than 400 in 2000 census). It is said one of the true growers involved in the NL breeding took some seeds down state to a breeder I knew personally; the true creator of Pinconning Paralyzer. Pinconning Paralyzer was a cross using a very potent Afghani variety crossed with the Northern Lights.

Northern Lights acquired it's name from the many different hues it produced when grown in the short, often cool lake front temps in the area. It was common to see hues of blue, red, purple, and frosty white from these outdoor grown plants. The true NL strain from Wolverine could be planted in late April and be fully mature by early Sept. which made it ideal for the short grow season; very early frost were quite common in that area. It was also ideal b/c come mid Sept. deer hunters begin to scout out their hunting area which I personally have lost many crops to myself.

I'm unsure of how it reached the West Coast, but it is said seeds were acquired from some bags of NL. Others say it was cuttings taken to out west and they were used as mothers and back crossed to recreate the strain. However it got there, it was the turning point for the strain. By the mid 70's the strain had pretty much become a household name among many grow circles. It's short bushy structure and fast flowering made it an ideal indoor strain as well, this was once again reworked in the Northwest where it then become one of the most famous and legendary strains of all times.

The important thing to remember is that most of the Dutch strains were a result of what us breeders here in the United States did long before seed banks and Dutch hybrids became the norm in growing. If you look at the history of most hybrids since 1984; the lineages lead back to well known strains like: Northern Lights, Skunk, Haze, Early Pearl, etc... and less known strains like Emerald Pearl & Kryptonite.

So when you are looking at all the Dutch strains out there, remember, many of them would not be here if not for the old school United States back woods growers of yrs now past.
  • IGotTheCottons likes this

Possuum

Possuum

In Spirit. Peace!

• Registered Upgraded
  • 6,880 posts
Man, those are a couple of bad-ass stories dudes. I’ve met some of the boys from the UP in MI. Truer words have never been written!

Edited by Possuum38North, 11 April 2010 - 11:27 PM.

• lessismore likes this

guerilla45

guerilla45

The G-netic link

• Gold Member
  • 7,822 posts

guerilla45

guerilla45

The G-netic link

• Gold Member
  • 7,822 posts

lessismore

lessismore

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Very very true, but focus also on the group, they did it just to help each other with a common goal. no bullshit, just respect for each other. I mean, they went further on respect than most do with talent.

Exactly, I acquired many a strain just out of mutual respect. This new generation of growers would never understand. Back in the late 70's many of us used very primitive indoor set ups, and grew outdoors. We grew just s good of bud then as we have no, but with half the technology and no internet to turn to.

I had a breeding project busted by the Feds, to them it was just a pole barn, shell of a house, and 12 acres of plants growing. To me it was much more. They said the plants were numbered to determine different stages of growth, but that was not the case.

We see it more and more, a grower gets a few successful grows under their belt using basic idiot proofed genetics and they are God gift to growing. They do not respect nor apprciate the knowledge and/or history behind growing, breeding, or even the plant species of cannabis itself. When we took our genetics to Holland it was our goal to further the species and breeding of this species; but this was not the case. All we did was create a get rich quick scheme for Dutch businessmen. Now we are seeing the same with growers here. It is all how much money they make. I could care less if you get $600 for an oz, backcross a rare cut, create your own F1 hybrid, work F2's to make a F1 hybrid grow true...then come talk to me.

To me, growing is a passion based on a goal of preservation of strains long lost, and my great appreciation of the plant itself. Today it is all about who you can stab in the back, or how much money you an make. In Tuscola Co. I remember sitting with groups of growers ranging from commercial growers, those just wanting to make few bucks and have some free weed, and those that just grew b/c they new how. We would trade ideas, smoke, share our bud. It di not matter what was what, it was one set price among us. Harvest &Trimming parties, jokng about the crops which the high school stole, or just laughing over the 6 pm news b/c one of our crops was busted and made the breaking news.

G45, I have no doubt in my mind we have either met, or at the very least have smoked each others bud.

Nice to finally meet a like minded grower with the same passion and respect I possess for growng, breeding, and just over all appreciation for the plant itself.
  • AK Infinity and MrPapageorgio like this

guerilla45

guerilla45

The G-netic link

• Gold Member
  • 7,822 posts

jiggaboojones

jiggaboojones

reform first-legalze latr

• Bronze Member
  • 1,491 posts

lessismore

lessismore

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 3,339 posts
Same here G45. It is a pleasure. There is a good group of guys here, some like me, most do not....but that is not here nor there IMHO.

Freakbro1

Freakbro1

The Bug dude

• Registered Upgraded
  • 4,445 posts

Man, those are a couple of bad-ass stories dudes. I’ve met some of the boys from the UP in MI. Truer words have never been written!

Some of the best smoke I've ever had was in 1982, grown in the podunk town of Bethune, SC by some old country boys. These were buds about the size of your little finger, almost fluorescent green in color, and literally dripping trichomes and resin. It was potent and yummy and would make you see colors after smoking it!! And these were just some old boys growing weed in the woods and the corn fields. It's just what they did.

I’ve been smoking for many a decade. Our strain selection back in the day was stuff like Thai Stick, Panama Red, Columbian Gold, Jamaican Trip Weed and the ever present bricks of Mexican dirt. For me, I wish we’d just keep the naming thing mo simpla for the simple-minded folks like me. I think we’ve lost touch with the Zen of the thing with all the crosses, back-crosses, and what-not-naming-this-and-that. Pretty soon someone will breed a Deliverance Strain that will be so genetically screwed up that after three years of smoking it you’ll grow a third foot out of the middle of your forehead. Yikes! :eek:

Great stories!! +rep to both of ya guerilla and less. :hello:

Im with ya on that Possuum. (I kinda miss the old days).
Excellent info G45 and Less.
Cheers.
:smoking::wave::smoking:

Reelconnoisseur

Reelconnoisseur

• Registered Upgraded
  • 778 posts
Good story, same place i learned to grow. if you are familiar with the area, my mentor lived around Torch Lake. Unfortunately this isnt the norm and for 99% of ppl that try it and they will not get these results. So no feelings of grandeur please, lol...

guerilla45

guerilla45

The G-netic link

• Gold Member
  • 7,822 posts

guerilla45

guerilla45

The G-netic link

• Gold Member
  • 7,822 posts

Reelconnoisseur

Reelconnoisseur

• Registered Upgraded
  • 778 posts
No doubt man. Used to go up for the summers when i was in college at Eastern. I am an avid outdoor person also. The bud that is grown up there still lingers in my head 10yrs later, lol. I was born and raised in SWFL, so the Salt Life is part of me. But if i had to choose to be somewhere other than 60 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico, i would definitely choose the woods of N. Mich. Thanks for bringing back some memories...

Can't argue any of the above. Things have changed. Seems like ppl are in some type of competition with the Dutch or Canadians, and that is a sad aspect of it, no doubt...

Nicky Danger

Nicky Danger

Third Eye

• Registered Upgraded
  • 210 posts
Yep, even as young adults in '69 we seemed to have a more mature view of what we were growing. As ignorant as I was of proper growing techniques the result seemed to be killer. Nothing has come close to the weed I grew in my mothers backyard in '71 from some Jamaican bag seed. At that time we mainly got seeds,leaves and stems with a few buds. As stupid as it sounds, I grew it for the leaves. It was still unbelievably strong. I just started the DNA freebie seeds from Attitude so we'll see how it goes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users