What are you reading!?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Dryice, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Wayward pines by blake crouch, about half way through the first book of the trilogy, I just found out there is a TV show based on the novel coming to fox. This book is in the kindle lending library so if you have prime you can read it for free!

I recommend this book its really a cool concept and I can't wait for the TV show !

2. #2122 marsdude89, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    Rereading this book. First read it back in grade 9. It put me onto dystopians.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

I need a dog now.

4. #2124 Concise_Brevity, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
    This much i know: it is of no coincidence that the largest percentile of those affected happen to be africans & gays.

5. Aww...such a good good read!!

6. #2126 Concise_Brevity, Sep 1, 2014
    Really really dying to read Lamottes "Bird by Bird" about writing & life. Cant seem to find a pdf anywhere. Gonna have to swim further into the www and discover it lingering there. Anyway, heres the summary in case anyone wants to check it. If youve read it, let me know how it was for you. Im curious.

-Lamott begins Bird by Bird with an introduction describing her lifelong love of books and her father's influence on her life and writing. Although she often wished that her father had a “regular” job like other fathers, she gradually began to realize that being a writer was the best job for him. She eventually followed in his footsteps. At an early age, Lamott realized that she possessed an uncanny ability to write engaging and often funny stories. But even with this ability, she was not an instant success as a writer. When her father fell ill with brain cancer, she was inspired to write about her family's struggles. Her father's agent accepted her manuscript, which was eventually published, and Lamott has worked as a writer ever since. She wrote Bird by Bird in order to share with the reader everything she knows about writing.

7. Tell me more!! I love maps! Have you ever seen the movie called, "there be dragons"? You know thats an old map marker that would let other explorers know that there was uncharted territory...

8. Earnest Vincent Wrights-Gadsby
    Its a 50,000 word 'essay'(as he calls it,) without the letter 'E' written a single time (once the story starts, that is,) what this author has against this symbol, i dont know, youll see.

-Wikipedia-
    The novel is written as a lipogram and does not include words that contain the letter "e". Though self-published and little-noticed in its time, the book is a favourite of fans of constrained writing and is a sought-after rarity among some book collectors. Later editions of the book have sometimes carried the alternative subtitle 50,000 Word Novel Without the Letter "E". In 1968, the novel entered the public domain in the United States due to failure to renew copyright in the 28th year after publication.[1]

9. #2129 watermelonsugar, Sep 1, 2014

Saw this post and bought the book. Opening page 1 tonight.

10. #2130 PlaidBeeSmokin', Sep 1, 2014
    "Teeming With Microbes"
    Written by Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis

Learning Sooo much!!!   If you wish to become an effective organic gardener, this is your title!!

PlaidBee's Indoor/OrganicThread

11. Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Basic Writings of Nietzsche by Walter Kaufmann. I'm trying to keep an open mind.

13. The Hundred-Foot Journey

14. Some light reading to go with my heavier read. This is the first book from John Swartzwelder (old Simpsons writer). It's a sci-fi-mystery-comedy.

[​IMG]

15. Cateverio by EJ Swift. I loved the first one (Osiris) and the second one is awesome too.

16. download.jpg

Pretty strange shtuff.