Tips for increasing THC content in your plants

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by NewSalvia, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Now i have a UVB light with a 10 rating over my plant trying this out cause I believe this book. My thoughts for you all worried about strains, it all originated in equatorial regions. The problem is we don't get enough according to that post I made. Therefore, I believe they are all capable of this and it is why I went and bought the light for my set up today actually. So if any of you think your smarter than Ed Rosenthal then show me your proof.....

2. I should also mention it states use only 5-10% of your total wattage in UVB lighting. So 1k watts you need 100w UVB bulb. They are rated, used in tanning beds and reptile lights. I bought mine at petsmart. I got a 10 rating considering thats about the peak Hawaii should on that chart. They had them in CFL bulbs and Fluorescents.

3. Sun Pulse makes 10000K lights that throw out a lot of UV from 150 to 1000 watts. Kessil now makes UV led lights too.

4. Long write up on THC for anyone who is interested.

Marijuana THC

5. That wasn't too long at all. Interesting read too. What I found most interesting is the assertion that trichome heads may function as solar collectors to intensify the number of photons hitting the leaf at any time. I saw an episode of "Living With Ed" where they discussed solar collectors. They looked like trichomes installed on the roof of a house. Made me think about the trichomes on my weed and if it might be doing the same thing.

6. #46 TBM, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011

I am definitely interested in this. I will get some UV LEDs to use on my light. Anything for the sake of knowing with my own eyes. I will finish my current grow with the light as it is. Then next time I will use the UVB LEDs also to compare.

Other factors might come into play, but its a sealed room so the environment should be pretty well controlled. I am recording all my nutrient levels and feedings so I can keep things as similar as possible. Mainly I was going to keep track of different color ratios to flower with, but adding UV for my first experiment is what I will do instead.

I was thinking of keeping the UV LEDs on for only 12 of my 16 hours of light though. Also, a paper I read on the subject claimed UVb was best when applied during veg. Wonder if that holds any truth. Maybe the plant goes through a change due to the UV in veg which kicks in the resin production.

7. whao! wait a minute! if i were growing for profit the auto trim would be my best friend fo-evva, but only if they trap and recover the trics that get stripped from the nugs. do they suction as well as thrash! are they filtering out the trics.
    i do agree about what you or i want to be smoking, but the hash recovery may be worth it provided it aint so green from micro clippings. whats your opinion, im not that familiar with auto-trimmers but in my opinion i would think like you. i like to keep some small leaf on for bud preservation till im ready to smoke, as for commercial, i guess it depends on the buyers valued opinion. a sack caked full of stickum isnt very smokable.

8. IMO I think it would be good in both veg and flowering if it is increasing it at all times

9. Its not being smarter than nature its about survival. Its why a stressed plant can hermie. Yes it is a plant but its mission is to reproduce. We just choose to harvest before reproduction most times. A plants life is a fight from the start they begin in a hard shell.

10. Bottom line with UV experimentation results are these:

UV is not worth to use because of the possible damage to your eyes and skin.

The scientific UV testing i.e. this article Marijuana THC
    has never considered phytochromes and cryptochromes and the effect of spectrum pollution etc. The correlation with altitude has to do with the allowance of more light through the thinner atmosphere up there. even water boils at a different temperature at altitude. it does not suprise me that plants would grow differently also. I just do not think they isolated UV as a cause with their observations.

The growers you hear saying they got better weed from UV reptile lights are seeing the effects of a fuller spectrum on cannabis, not just the 10% UVb they added.

11. So this means IMO if I am to continue Growing using CFLs, adding these was actually beneficial to promote more growth overall adding it. I also believe this means that those using HIDs would not notice any significant changes. So all I can do is test this theory. Once I Get a HPS bulb I can further test this using Clones once I find a mother Strain

12. food for thought on why not to grow with cfls though, and not invest in hps either, efficacious lumens per watt is highest for leds. just a thought. but please dont ignore my first conclusion about uvb lightbulbs, ITS A HEALTH HAZARD TO USE THEM CANCER, EYE DAMAGE ETC. :devious:

use actinic bulbs instead, much better blue spectrum.

13. This is not the bottom line. The effect of elevation on boiling water doesn't have anything to do with the impact UVB light has on marijuana.

The bottom line on UVB and its effects on marijuana is that more research is needed into the effects of UVB and marijuana potency/flavor/aroma.

14. You are totally on the right track. Most people don't realize the resin glands act as UV sunblock for the seed pod. Reduce water at the right times (usually last 3 days of week 5 & before harvest), increase UV-B and proper "artificial stress" will greatly enhance the likelihood the plant will respond favorably with an out pour of THC production with in it's limiting genetics. The last 10 years I've been playing with various stress factors to accommodate my water ration and UV radiation therapy as I call it. It's fun to catalog the results.

15. Agreed, but there is a confound in the research because UVC-Blue/Green are responsible for all of the beneficial terpene and increased weight responses. UVB makes the cells turn to presesnt the most narrow profile towards the sun to prevent dna damage. Perhaps that stress response also produces more/closer together trichromes, but its not even worth testing unless you have proper uv protection at all times you are in your grow room.

16. Attached are pics of UV protection glasses that also remove the red to assist visual inspection of plants. Attached a before and after with the glass lens over my camera lens.

Using them in person (picture doesn't reveal how well it really works) is amazing!!!!!!!!!!

FYI

~HD

Attached Files:

17. dont forget the suntan lotion :rolleyes:

18. i am currently growing three "ladies" in a 21 x 21 x 58 h "closet" i have 130w of cfl and a 15w uv b reptile bulb. the uv b is rotated under direct light to my plants daily. one at a time they every three days are under the uv b bulb for 18 hours at a time. i am exactly 30 days in and have some nice fat looking plants. approx 5 in tall and 6 nodes. i am using bag seed as this is also my first grow. the resin is noticable in my stems all over and the strength is awesome. im a single dude with 3 kids and doin a budget grow to get a little stash. i could care less about the debate i am posting here to answer questions about what i am doing. here are the best pictures i have right now. i will not have my heart broken if i dont get anything but if it does work id like to be able to share my results with those who can appreciate it. mine is if at best a low budget grow and for anyone wanting to save cost. it how ever seems to working well for me.:D

Attached Files:

19. Kendem, Im interested in how that works out for you. make sure you get some co2 and and low budget nutes in there so we can see a more accurate result. U'll also like your harvest alot more.

20. so the study the russian guy did in the 70s was just a communist cover up?