1000 Watt Ballast HELP WIRING

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by gear_hits, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Hey GC,
    so i have recently inherited an 1000 watt mh lighting system. The only problem is that i have no clue how to wire the darn thing.

There are four wires that come out of the ballast. One reads LAMP, the other reads 120V and the last two read COM. I have both the lamp and the power cable that need to be wired together to the ballast.

Thanks
    (also, i have a timer, although i do not need to use it, unless it is mandatory to use with the ballast)

2. Thanks, although right after i posted I went to look at it and i got it to work.

I used electrical tape for securing wires together> should i use plastic caps instead?
    thanks

3. plastic caps are always preferable

4. Yes, use wire nuts. And good work on figuring it out!

5. i attached the two ground wires from the lamp fixture and wall plug together. Is that safe/ how u do it?

also, am i able to use MH bulb for full cycles?

6. You did not mention ground wires earlier. COMMON is not ground. You should have a common and the 120v lead providing power via the cord and wall plug. The green ground wire will go to a ground screw on the ballast. The other common and LAMP will connect to the bulb.

I'm sure that MH will work for the full cycle, but not as well as MH/HPS would.

7. so i attach the ground to the ballast itself. OK

Thanks for the help