NORML Freedom Card, Know and Understand Your Rights

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by IndianaToker, Feb 17, 2005.

1. If you can tell a cop they're wrong in the right situation with the right cop and they give in... well you know. Say make up that situation in your mind with the false alert, and you say, HEY I SAW THAT ON TV, YOU MADE THAT DOG FALSE ALERT!!, and you have witnesses and the cop is the kind of person that won't just forcibly arrest you with facts in front of them... then you win i guess

I would tell you about never-get-busted, but the real key to that is prevention, like not having large stinky bags of cannabis in your vehicle with you and your friends driving around. Hidin:)g small amounts of cannabis and being ready to eat it before the cop comes makes it really hard for the cop to get you for anything... but that doesn't help you once you find yourself in a no win situation... can't dodge bullets but you can try to dodge gunfights.

If they are adrehnaline addicted ego-maniacs they will like throw that card away, and butt rape you anyways.

Some cops let you talk and some cops just walk up and impose their will upon you..?

The kind of cops that walk/roll around trying to bust kids have been, in my experience, much more gullable. I've seen adults try to use unfair tricks to get kids to admit to things. yeah you have no rights at "school". Another grey area is the rights of the parents being asserted for the child while at or on the way to or from school. Or rather the childs rights while at school is the grey area until the parent speaks up for the child, teachers can have their effect within their environment, same with administration. For example if the teachers didn't bust you even when they knew. Usually even if the teacher smokes he/she will have to bust the kid.

2. thanks for bumping that up, man!
    ..but you're responding to a comment that's two years old!! ;)

3. If you didn't tell me, i would honestly probably never have noticed that truth. In fact i still havn't looked to see if that's true.

Making hash on the stove!! woohooo

4. ha i wasnt expecting to see that whole video . but it was really good info:smoking:

5. My legal strategy nowadays is just to avoid the pigs altogether. Honestly, I believe you only have the rights that could get you on the news.

6. cops can call in dogs to sniff around THE OUTSIDE your car. If the dog alerts they now have probable cause to search your car. The Busted video is a great thing that everyone should watch along with berry coopers never get busted again.

7. If I Lived In The USA I Would Definately PRINT That...Unfortunately Im From London So Can't Use It...Is It Possible To MAKE sUMMIN like THIS for The UK?

8. K9 units count as a search. The charges will be dropped unless he has a warrant. And just keep asking him to leave if he has no warrant. Eventually, you will be able too.

9. After giving your name and address, tell him that you refuse to answer any further questions (without an attorney present), and that if you are not being arrested or otherwise detained, you have the right to leave at that time. There is no need for you to wait around for the K-9 unless the cop already HAS probable cause (or a warrant). Of course some cops will step outside the boundaries, but if the cop does so ensure that he notes that you refused to the search.

10. My gradfather is a lawyer I will ask him whats up and repost in a couple of days!

11. no dude schools are gay for some resons a student haves NO rights at school if so you could refuse a search with out a warrant because of the 4th amendment but for some reason schools can make there own fucking laws but if you can make it off campus then thats a diffrent story

12. This Is good to know and I think I will make a card once I finally get a car. I live in Long Island ny and I get the feeling this won't help much with most of the cops out here. They are paid 250,000+ a year and are on power trips, from the moment they pull you over they let you know that they are in control. I know from experience sadly. I feel like they would search me anyway and keep pressing me to let them if i refused a search plus not letting them and not talking just lets them know i'm hiding something. I'm pretty sure that if they did find weed on me anything less than an oz in ny is about a 100$ fine, not too bad compared to other states. I recommend looking up the local laws for your state so you know just how much weed you can carry on you at one time with out getting arrested. Some states any amount is enough to get arrested and pay a 1000$ fine, but some states you get nothing more than a warning and the weed taken away.

13. wait... if you give permission to search, or they have ""reasonable doubt" can they search the trunk? what about this, my back seat comes down and goes into the trunk.. not necisarily locked... ive thought about keeping a safe in the trunk and saying i dont have the key...

14. ^ id say keeping anything illegal in a smell proof LOCKED container is the best bet.
    regardless of anything police need a court warrant to open a lock against your will,
    which they would never even care to get unless they thought it would pay off in a big bust.

In a traffic stop

- have no smell, hide things that smell if possible

- have registration and license ready so he cant talk for that long

- always have a story ready, where your going, why, when. making things up will get you caught for sure. make sure everyone in your party has the same story

- BE POLITE, BE CALM, DONT WORRY hes just another person doing his job

-Know why hes pulling you over. If you know you just swerved big time, say that. say you changed the music and took your eye off the road too long..... and that it wont happen again.

-after hes taken your info and checked for warrants, if he keeps talking or asking questions answer them and in between questions ask if theres any problem or if youre in any trouble for anything. if no ask if you can leave.

- only if he trys to keep you after that should you whip out your rights, doing it before that just raises suspicion imo

- DEF DONT wait for a k-9 to arrive

15. #55 Papa Nate, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2009
    My question:

I go to Towson University and recently we have had a drug dog trained to aid in searching on-campus dorms. I've been known to occasionally have bud on me and the question is...if I buy a lockable safe, and the drug dog identifies my room because of some smell, if the cops enter my room and ask me to open it, am I required to or can I decline that request?

I do know that the dog scratching at my door is probable cause for them to search my room because of campus policy. I haven't been able to find anything that specifies them the ability to search a locked safe in my room. Anyone have any insight?

Furthermore, I think it's entirely unamerican of universities to obligate you to sign over so many of your rights to live on-campus. It makes the whole experience undesirable for the majority of college students, either being drinkers, or smokers. Anyone have any comments on legal rights at universities in general?

16. i disagree. you should not incriminate yourself for any reason.

17. and even if you dont know your rights word for word you know you dont have to consent to a search or answer questions and thats really all you need

18. that little card is not gonna stop a cop from searching you sorry. I would like to see somebody pull that.all a cop has to do is say he smelled pot. which give him probable cause to search you and that card aint gonna do nothen but get you harassed by your local dickhead dounut eatter exspeicaly if it has that norml label on it rookies

19. I bet that any university staff thats with the police searching will say that anything such as your safe in a dorm that belongs to the school and is apart of campus property blah blah blah will be suspect to search since it violates your adherance to university rules

20. I agree that the NORML card is good to have if you dont know your rights or forget them when your high but I wouldnt ever give that to a cop becuase they'll probobly go nuts and make up proboble cause and rape your car and cavity search the shit out of you since cops are bored and get their kicks doing shit like that. the only cops i have respect for are city cops becuase they're put there cathcing theives robbers gangsters and murderers and they could give a shit about small time stuff like weed