Keep this card with you in case of involvement with law enforcement personnel.
Instructions to make your own card:
- Download the PDF document. Also print 4 cardson one page. (Requires Adobe Reader).
- Print page one
- Re-insert the paper to print on the back and print page two
- Trim and fold between the opposing text
- Card stock suggested
The U.S. Constitution prohibits the government from interfering with
your right to remain silent, to consult with an attorney, and to be free
from unreasonable searches and seizures by law enforcement.
However, it is up to you to assert these rights. This NORML Foundation
Freedom Card will help you do so effectively.
If you are confronted by a police officer, remain calm. Be courteous
and provide your identification. Politely refuse to answer any further
questions. Ask to talk to an attorney. Do not consent to any search of
your person, your property, your residence or your vehicle. Tell the
officer you would like to give him or her this card, which is a statement
of the constitutional rights you wish to invoke. Do not reach for this
card until you have obtained the officer’s permission to do so.
I hereby invoke and refuse to waive all of the following rights and
privileges afforded to me by the U.S. Constitution:
• I invoke and refuse to waive my Fifth Amendment right to
remain silent. Do not ask me any questions.
• I invoke and refuse to waive my Sixth Amendment right to an
attorney of my choice. Do not ask me any questions without my
• I invoke and refuse to waive all privileges and rights pursuant
to the case Miranda v. Arizona. Do not ask me any questions or make
any comment to me about this decision.
• I invoke and refuse to waive my Fourth Amendment right to be
free from unreasonable searches and seizures. I do not consent to
any search or seizure of myself, my home, or of any property in my
possession. Do not ask me about my ownership interest in any
property. I do not consent to this contact with you. If I am not
presently under arrest or under investigatory detention, please allow
me to leave.
• Any statement I make, or alleged consent I give, in response
to your questions is hereby made under protest and under duress and
in submission to your claim of lawful authority to force me to provide
you with information.
THE NORML FOUNDATION
1600 K Street, NW, Suite 501
Washington, DC 20006-2832
www.norml.org / 202-483-8751