Welcome to Grasscity Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

How can you tell if a seed is good/bad?

• Please log in to reply

Yummay

Yummay

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 292 posts
Dont you put it in a glass of water, and if it floats/sinks its good/bad???
I forgot what meant what though, Is it if it floats its bad? and if it sinks its good?

And also should the seeds be a darker brown color?

Thanks!

burnintrees407

burnintrees407

burnin blizzerds

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,258 posts
give it a nice little squeeze and see if it breaks or not. what color is it?

whswatty

whswatty

above the ignorance

• Registered Upgraded
  • 222 posts
yea, and leave them overnight or at least for a couple hours

However, I would just use a moist paper towel and see which ones germinate/sprout.

there is an entire section devoted to this. look lower in the forum selection page

Edited by whswatty, 19 February 2010 - 09:44 PM.

yourHIGHness

yourHIGHness

Lady ASG

• Bronze Member
  • 1,635 posts

Dankifornia

Dankifornia

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,139 posts
I have a couple that are brown/purplish and the others are green.

I wanna grow so bad. I just got my own place too so its def an option.

I just don't wanna mess with a simple indoor grow though from what I've read it seems like it can get complicated especially if its your first time.

NickTokes

NickTokes

• Registered Upgraded
  • 229 posts

Usually a seed that is good has a darker, sometimes spotted, color to it. It usually pretty hard, if it crumbles in your fingers it's not a good seed.
If it sinks or not doesn't really mean anything. I've had seeds sink in water and they turned out to be very good.

If you put a seed in a glass of water, wait till it sinks then it is ready to sprout and be planted. Soaking the seed till it sinks in the water is a good way of starting the growing process. Just clearing that up

whswatty

whswatty

above the ignorance

• Registered Upgraded
  • 222 posts
yea, its totally worth it, even if its just a closet grow. Just germanize all your seeds and see what happens, unless you have like 100 seeds. You can pick which ones are doing the best and plant them.

rlm89

rlm89

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
a viable seed will be dark brown with stripes or spots on it. it will be hard. you won't be able to squish it between your fingers. i saw a thread last night about recognizing a viable seed...look around in the grower's forums on GC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users