Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

cannabis card for psoriasis?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by cLOUD9, Feb 15, 2010.

1. #1 cLOUD9, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2010
    I'm 18 years old and I've been battling psoriasis (an uncurable, but treatable, skin disease) for 3 years now.

Psoriasis is an immune deficiency disease, and as you may know marijuana is an immunosuppressant, which for most patients is a negative side-effect, but for psoriasis it's actually a good thing! There have also been other studies showing how cannabis is good for the treatment of psoriasis in many other ways such as it's anti-inflamatory properties.

Anyway I was curious if it's possible, or how I would go about getting prescribed on MMJ? I'm moving to California this summer, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: I'm a regular smoker and in my own experience have found that smoking the good herb does wonders for my psoriasis, and since the reason for psoriasis flares is mainly stress and anxiety, it also does a good job in preventing preventing flares from becoming too bad, and sometimes stopping them altogether!

2. uh bump? :smoking:

3. You may have a lifetime friend there. Psoriasis doesn't get a lot of attention from the medical research community, mainly I'd guess, because it is more profitable to simply treat the symptoms, than to find a cure.

Perhaps California is the right place for you. You may just need the sunshine, and the cannabis won't hurt you either.

4. Yeah, unfortunately there is no cure, in my personal experience cannabis is an effective treatment. But would a doctor grant me a medical card? I haven't seen any related experiences with this sort of situation so I'm not sure how it would play out exactly. There have been studies showing that there are benefits of cannabinoids in psoriasis treatment, and I have all of my medical records so basically my question is, can I get a medical card or can't I.

And thanks for the help :wave:

5. The answer is, we don't really know. I'm sure that there is a doctor out there somewhere who will write a recommendation for a hangnail. If you are in California and you have your records, then you'll most likely be able to get a recommendation. Your mileage will vary in other states.

6. cLOUD9 have you ever thought of using a THC lotion? If you get your card in California and try the lotion let me know if it helps.

7. Hemp oil can help wtb that a lot. I'm talking about the kind you find in health food stores.
    Anyway CA is very easy going on this type of thing, it shouldn't be difficult to get a card.

8. Found some reading for you guys-

Cannabinoids inhibit human keratinocyte proliferation through a non-CB1/CB2 mechanism and have a potential therapeutic value in the treatment of psoriasis
    (abst - 2007)
    ScienceDirect - Journal of Dermatological Science : Cannabinoids inhibit human keratinocyte proliferation through a non-CB1/CB2 mechanism and have a potential therapeutic value in the treatment of psoriasis

The endocannabinoid system of the skin in health and disease: novel perspectives and therapeutic opportunities (abst - 2009)
    ScienceDirect - Trends in Pharmacological Sciences : The endocannabinoid system of the skin in health and disease: novel perspectives and therapeutic opportunities

9. Thanks Storm Crow, I have seen the first article that you posted, and the second... Well I didn't really understand it :p

And to some other posters up there, yes I do use hemp lotion, and it works quite well at keeping my skin from drying up, and from what I have seen, however it's hard to tell for sure, suppresses my psoriasis once I have gotten it under control with topical steroids. The thing about topical steroids though is that it sometimes gets to the point where I am literally rubbing a tar/clebatasol compound all over my body. I have tried taking a medication called soriatane, but the side effects led me to stop.

Another point I wanted to make is that immunosuppressant drugs are used in the treatment of psoriasis, Cyclosporine is the main immunosuppresive drug used, here are a list of side effects from Drugs.com;

Common side effects include: Acne; dizziness; headache; increased hair growth; nausea; runny nose; sleeplessness; stomach discomfort; vomiting.

More severe side effects include:
    Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood in the urine; change in the appearance of a mole; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; diarrhea; fast or irregular heartbeat; flushing of the face, chest, back, or abdomen; gum disease or overgrowth; increased or decreased urination; loss of coordination; mental or mood changes; muscle cramps; numbness or tingling of the skin; seizures; severe or persistent headache or dizziness; shortness of breath; symptoms of infection (eg, chills, cough, fever, painful urination, sore throat); tremors; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusual lumps; unusual thickening or growth on the skin; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision changes; wheezing; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

10. i too have psoriasis. from shoulder to shoulder on my back, my entire forehead, my entire ears, inside and "outside" and around my ears, on my arms, and other little random spots, but ive gone through $500 tube of cream, (multiple scripts for various expensive creams) and my doc, and even dermatologist, wont put me on an oral med because allthe ones for psoriasis tear up your liver add i wouldnt be able to take the oral med for more than a week. that being said, after i started smoking again after my t-break, my mother even noticed how much better it was (she doesnt know i started again, only knows that i have smoked before)

anyway, didnt mean to write so much, but what im tryin to say is that i have tried what seems like everything and they only work to a certain extent, only to have my psoriasis come back within 24 hours, while cannibus has yielded visible results in less than 3/4 weeks.

another major cause of increased psoriasis is stress, which i am under alot since i am in college, and marijuana also helps with my stress which in turn helps my psoriasis.

hopefully SC will follow suit of the ~15 MMJ states now...

11. Look for a product called HempEase - it is made from cannabis roots - it has not THC so I am told is legal. Hemp roots have very powerful skin treating qualities yet can not get anyone high.

clinton

12. Dude, I'm in Canada and have a history with Psoriasis but it's just around my nose on my face and my face appears to be red. Sleeplessness, anxiety, social isolation. it all makes sense now.

Don't think I'll ever get weed for it but thanks for showing me this.

13. I HAD quarter size spots on my knees and both elbows and on the back of my head and very tiny patch inside of my ear. Where it originally started about 5 years ago. I've tried everything under the sun except orals. This maybe unbelievable and I may be a unique case, but I've gotten rid of my mine by using one specific cream. First of all I've tried every darn cream a doctor could prescribe and all of them aren't worth a shit. The reason this was possible was because my EX Wife was a MD so she wrote me scripts until I found one that worked. A really good one for my head was a propinate foam named OLUX it kept it under control for many weeks at a time,but it would come back and its $275 for a very smally mousse like can. I have insurance so it wasn't much. Then most pharmacies didn't carry it and they gave me a GENERIC name CLOBESTEROL PROPIONATE it comes in a cream as well and as I was told its very very week and barely helps with maintaining anything. They are right it sucks! Then there are about 5 others that do the same and aren't worth a shit. So here is what I have found works and literally has made it go away forever even on my head. Again, this may not work for you, but it did for me and Its strong stuff and most importantly it works super fast! If you get this stuff its not expensive at all with insurance and DO NOT get the generic. Here is the name HALOBETASOL PROPIONATE CREAM 0.05% made by PERRIGO. I know you've seen the same type of creams before, but don't let a doctor or pharmacy tell you that the generic clobesterol is the same because its not. Be specific on HALOBETASOL. I hope this helps you as much as it has me...:)

14. I'm 19 and got my cannabis card for psoriasis in March. It has really been helping, and I love the fact that I can smoke legally now. So much stress off my head (which actually improves the condition!) :smoke:

15. Cambion how did you get your card and what state are you in?

16. I have psoriasis and recently got a hemp oil based lotion from the czech republic. It works well for moisturizing my skin and seems to be reducing the size of the affected area. I want to try a lotion made from HASH because the cannabinoids found in the female plant are what have many of the different anti inflammatory properties and etc. I think psoriasis is a serious 'debilitating' condition enough that you would be able to get a card for it. You could even bring up what I said about the difference between hemp oil lotion and hash oil lotion and see if that gets their attention.

17. I have psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis, while my psoriasis is not bad, my arthritis is. I have tried all the nasty drugs (enbrel, Humira, simponi, methotrexate, etc..) while taking major amounts of pain meds as well as steroids for inflammation and pain. My Primary Care Physician actually suggested MMJ after having tried all the pain killers out there that didn't work unless I took a lot and continuously increased the dosage.

After his suggestion I gave it a try and have not stopped since that try, OMG what a relief. It was like going from pain bad enough I wished someone would shoot me to hardly any pain at all. My psoriasis itself has gotten better as well. Why didn't he suggest this sooner???

I hope you don't have any problems getting your card, there has to be a Dr out there who will help you out. If like many of us with Psoriasis do and you suffer from depression also make sure you mention that as well, I believe in some states you can get MMJ for having depression alone.

I don't have my card yet as my Dr isn't allowed to give the recommendation due to the HMO that I have they don't allow it, so I have to go to one of the clinics and get it there.

Hope you don't have any problems getting your card!

18. #18 Storm Crow, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010
    "My Primary Care Physician actually suggested MM", "After his suggestion"

Guess what? If you are in California, you are legal! :eek: Recommendations can legally be VERBAL! And you just got one! They are a bad idea, very hard to prove to a cop, and if your doc denies it to protect his job, you're screwed, but if you are in Cali, you are actually legal right now! :smoking:

A paper rec is MUCH safer for you, so get one ASAP. Even if we pass that bill for 1 oz legalization this fall, having a rec will allow you to possess more and grow more (your limits are set by your doctor! The courts threw out the old "6 mature/ 12 immature and 8 oz" limits- unconstitutional. :p) So even if we "legalize", a rec holder is still better off than the average toker! (ARE YOU REGISTERED TO VOTE? This fall, every pro-cannabis vote WILL count! It is possible for over 50% of the states to have MMJ by 2011!)

Granny :wave:

19. You said you are moving to California? You will have no worries. You can go to Venice Beach on Fridays (or many other THC clinics) and for $99 you can get your card. Virtually nobody is declined unless you say "I want it so I can get high". This may seem bad but it really isn't. The Dr. that my wife visited was a pure naturalist and didn't even believe in hand sanitizer. He believes that Marijuana is just another natural herb that should be available to anyone, any time at their own discretion.

20. Thanks Granny, I am in WA. I did get my paper recommendation a couple weeks ago. It sure has taken a load off my mind having it, not as paranoid, lol.
    Yes I am registered to vote and I have signed WA bill to legalize MJ!!