Is there a way to clean your record of drug charges so you can join the military?

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Tempest, Feb 13, 2010.

1. I am about to lose my job. I have a fiance and we have a baby on the way. I was going to join the military but all of the branches told me that I cant join because they currently wont accept anyone who has any drug charges. This is terrible news for me and my family. Is there any way that I can take a class or something to have my possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia charges taken off of my record? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Yes.. Contact a lawyer or something. Tell him that they need to expounge those because you wanting to strighting up and get your life on the right path bleh bleh feed em some bullshit.. tell em thats the only thing hanging me back.. is those past charges..

Also try different recuiters (us army that is ) and find somebody to work with you and get you waviers to be able to join...

3. Wait for the next war, and they'll be begging for you to join

4. Depending on the charge and if you've had previous offenses or not, you may be able to get the record expunged. Assuming that the charge was a misdemeanor and you haven't had any arrests charges since, you could probably get it taken off. Note that this will still stay in many databases, though.

I used to work in the industry, and most states sell their databases of criminal records to companies willing to pay for it. However, they don't send updates with expunged records. The only state that did was Texas. If the employer is local and goes to the court house, they will see the updated record. If they use a database to check it, they will most likely see the old drug charge. Be aware of this, and know your rights. They can't hold that drug charge against you, because by the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) they can be held liable for basing hiring off databases not actually owned by the original source.

It's a little complicated, so I recommend contacting a lawyer. They'll be able to tell you if it's worth trying to get it removed. They can also advise you on what to do when you're applying for a job and they do a background check. I recommend a lawyer that is internet savvy. It sounds stupid, but many lawyers are old school and rarely use computers. Those guys won't know about the online records databases that you need to be aware of.

Btw - ask the lawyer to give you copies of the expungment to send to online records companies. Call and ask them to remove your expunged record. If you send the papers, they have to remove it for you. If they tell you no, call bullshit on them and let them know you can remove it on the back-end if needed.

If you have questions, I'd be glad to help. :)

5. sorry man you cracked me up with what you said :laughing: i was in the same situation as you but i'm going to college instead :D yeah they don't accept anybody with a felony all drug charges are felony's except marijuana is a misdemeanor. i don't know why they wont let you join if you have a misdemeanor like they said above you should try different recruiters and try to get a wavier. did you get the charge when you were a minor or adult.? oh and it doesn't matter if it gets expunged its the government man they can see all your records theres nothing hidden from them i already did a little reading myself so i know i have no chance of joining good luck man.

6. Armies are bad mkay?

7. #7 JollyStoner, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2010
    How about taking Maternity leave then long term disability / unemployment until you find another job? This joker cant be serious about signing away 4 years to the military just because she cant find a job. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I couldnt help after reading the other one she started recently:

http://forum.grasscity.com/general/560045-i-need-some-major-help.html

8. #9 Eric111E, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
    Gshs

9. The bottom line is you broke the rules, and that means you're not the type of person they're interested in. Right now they have plenty of people that don't have a history.

10. Pinkpipe is correct with the information offered above.
    Expoungment of drug charges, esp misdemeanor charges, is possible if you go thorough a good lawyer, but it does cost $5000 plus other fees charged by the lawyer and system, depending on the state.
    I had a misdemeanor possession of marijuana charge (less than five grams) combined with a felony charge for possession of THREE hits of Ecstacy.
    I went through drug court, was sentenced to a six month intensive drug rehab program (2 mos of 5 hr daily X M-F classes, 2 mos of 5hr daily MWF classes and 2 mos of 5 hr W clases, 40 hrs community service (volunteered at a ASPCA for a week) and all court charges PLUS probation for one year. I had NO prior arrest history.
    I successfully completed all requirements and was released from probation after 9 mos. and was then advised to go through a lawyer to have this removed from my record for a $5000 fee. Since I held a senior Management position and my career was going well, I went through the process, paid my fee and expected it to be sealed for good.
    Such was not the case as I was advised that private organizations would not see these charges, but State and Federal agencies would still be able to see that I had sealed a record but details would not be released to them. A ton of good that process did me if I cared to persue any sort of Government employment!
    After going through the process, I applied for a high level position with a private company and was hired with no mention of this being on my record....and they did an exhaustive search on my background.
    Now had I applied to any Governmental agency, I would not have been considered for any position whatsoever.

As sad a situation as this is, as much as you need to provide for your family and the fact that you are applying to serve your country during a time of war and great need, I am afraid there is nothing you can do to be accepted.
    Not to make light of your situation, but you have now experienced the same sort of frustration/discrimination that our nation's Gay and Lesbian members experience when they attempt to make the same sacrifice for our country.
    It is cases such as this that make me seriously question some methods and rules that our Government deems neccessary to apply to it's citizens. :mad:
    I think I speak for many in thanking you for your offer to defend our freedoms and I hope other options present themselves to you in the near future. Good Luck in your endeavours!

11. Not in such a way that the military won't find it on your background check. Especially if your pegged for a job that requires a clearance of some kind. For the military (and law enforcement) there's really no such thing as being entire expunged from a record.

Right now the military is way overmanned due to the economy. Everyone and their mother wants to get in. When the economy recovers most of them will hop right back behind their cushy corporate desk, but for now there's not a lot of openings.

If you want to work for the government you should look into seasonal work such as the national parks, or forest service. Wildfire season is fast approaching and while they aren't going to put you on the lines (being pregnant and all) you might be able to get on as a runner, lookout, or something on the logistical/support side of things.

12. OP is preggers and smokes pot but can't find a job nor join the military...:eek:

13. Yeah, what's your point? It's his wife that's pregnant...

Good luck to you, OP... hope all goes well. Just know what you're getting into.

14. the op IS the wife!!!! HELLOOOOO!

15. Oh rly? PA law

Heroin
    PossessionMisdemeanor, 1 yr. and/or $5000; Subsequent offense: 3 yrs. and/or $25,000 SaleFelony, 15 yrs. and/or $250,00 or higher fine if necessary to recover drug profit; Subsequent offense or sale to minor: double penalties
    Cocaine
    PossessionMisdemeanor, 1 yr. and/or $5000; Subsequent offense: 3 yrs. and/or $25,000 SaleFelony, 15 yrs. and/or $250,00 or higher fine if necessary to recover drug profit; Subsequent offense or sale to minor: double penalties

Of course, having larger amounts usually goes hand in hand with intent to sell, so it carries the felony charge. but possession everything but weed, is NOT a felony.

16. It varies by state. In California any amount of hard drugs such as cocaine, meth etc. are considered a felony. Marijuana is a misdemeanor up to 1 ounce or less if in separate packages which can be considered posession for sales then it becomes a felony.

17. ya JollyStoner is right, i had underage drunkness, and paraphenalia on school grounds charges, i live in CO and it took me all of 4 weeks to get rid of each, so 8 weeks total and i get military peeps callin me all the time still, the marines call frequently and know EVERYTHING about me so i assume they know that shit happened, the calls have dropped numerously since i got my med card tho :) so it depends on how the state you were charged in treats you

18. where you live is a big factor in this too

19. #20 jacksmith4, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
    This is why people are supposed to use common sense in life, if you use drugs it will haunt you the rest of your life, the military doesn't want druggies, they want people who have proved that they can make good sound decisions. Good luck anyway. check your local laws for "deferred judification". They take the charge away if you stay out of trouble for a specified amount of time. It usually works but you will be on probation. Better than an outright charge though. Get a Drug Charges Lawyer if you can. They cost money but are incredibly helpful