Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Dolomite lime substitue with hydrated lime?

• Please log in to reply

starcecil

starcecil

• Registered Upgraded
  • 500 posts
No where around here seems to sell the dolomite lime, so I was wondering if I could just mix in some hydrated lime instead. I want to use a soil-less mix with Sphagnum, perlite, and vermiculite.

I also have some epsom salt, maybe I can substitute that?

johnk

johnk

• Registered Upgraded
  • 716 posts
Hydrated lime is much more "powerful" aka caustic than dolomite lime. Use it sparingly or better yet look harder for dolomite. Yeah, I know, it's not the time of year for a wide variety of garden supplies - maybe online?

Epsom salt is in no way, shape, or form, a substitute for lime.

starcecil

starcecil

• Registered Upgraded
  • 500 posts
:o

Hydrated lime is much more "powerful" aka caustic than dolomite lime. Use it sparingly or better yet look harder for dolomite. Yeah, I know, it's not the time of year for a wide variety of garden supplies - maybe online?

Epsom salt is in no way, shape, or form, a substitute for lime.

I dont have a debit/bank account anymore so I can't buy things online. What about gypsum and some epsom salt combined? I just need a source of calcium. None of the food I find has it. Is it possible my water may be too hard? I could fix this with a brita water filter or would that take out the Ca?

Chunk

Chunk

Medicine Mod

• Super Moderator
  • 11,759 posts

starcecil

starcecil

• Registered Upgraded
  • 500 posts

If you have a Home Depot, they carry a product called Lily Miller "Soil Sweet" which is dolomite lime. With spring just around the corner, I'm sure you'll be able to find it there.

I wouldn't use hydrated lime. The other thing you can use as a substitute is crushed oyster shell. You can get that at any farm/feed store. It is sold to poultry farmers, A 50# bag is 10 bucks at my local feed store.

If you do go with the oyster shell, use some epsom salt for the magnesium. Oyster shell is rich in calcium but doesn't have the magnesium that dolomite does.

Good luck

chunk

Would I be able to mix those with some water when/if it shows Calcium def? There is some lime in my soil now but I don't know how much. It came with the seedling mix

Gr33nPeace

Gr33nPeace

That Guy

• Registered Upgraded
  • 639 posts

If you have a Home Depot, they carry a product called Lily Miller "Soil Sweet" which is dolomite lime. With spring just around the corner, I'm sure you'll be able to find it there.

I wouldn't use hydrated lime. The other thing you can use as a substitute is crushed oyster shell. You can get that at any farm/feed store. It is sold to poultry farmers, A 50# bag is 10 bucks at my local feed store.

If you do go with the oyster shell, use some epsom salt for the magnesium. Oyster shell is rich in calcium but doesn't have the magnesium that dolomite does.

Good luck

chunk

How much epsom salt would you add to a cubic foot of soil?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users