bho extraction tubes

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by detailed one, Feb 3, 2010.

1. anyone know how to make them with a cheap and safe way so i dont smoke chems and another thing what is a good butane to use?

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. any triple refined store bought butane will do

3. i dont wanna order one...making it is cheaper and works just about the same :|

4. Dude for what they give you for 50$ + the warranty and the quality i mean if you wanna spend 20-30 bucks trying to make your own and do a horrible job compared to these guys who do it for a living then by all means go for it but your not gonna find anything better lol.

• Like Like x 2
  5. If you want to make one go to bed bath and beyond and buy a 10$ SS turkey baster i guess. + coffee filters and zip ties. ~15$ at the most.

I prefer glass extraction tubes, they seem to spray more evenly from my experience with them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I always use quintuple refined vector; there's no good reason to cheap out on your butane. Shitty butane makes shitty oil.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bed bath and beyond stainless steel turkey baster...5.99. if not i know whole foods has it cuz when i went to bed bath and beyond thats where they sent me...11.99 though...

i only use quintuple refined vector as well...like he said shitty butane makes shitty oil...

8. k man i been workin on my oil making for months take a water bottle and a tack put a ton of holes in the bottom and a hole in the lid for calibri triple refined butane
    get a bottle of iso to
    freeze however much shake bud stem or leaf ou have for atleast a hour and a half freezing it makes the rezin glands brittle and easily seperate without chloryphil coming to making your oil greenish yellow you want it straight golddd :p
    get a no.4-no.6 grade coffee filter or silk
    wrap it around the bottom and elastic it to hold it on
    get a bowl and a glass tray easy to scrape off and exacto knife
    rinse half to 3/4 bottle of calibri butane through your freezed weed after its been mulched
    itll start coming out yellow through the filter into your BOWL NOT GLASS TRAY
    then after thats rised through rinse a full bottle of iso through itll clear the rest of the oil out filter again into glass tray to remove any impuritues that may have fallen in

k now heat your tray over a portable electric heater htey work great and fast and no chance of blowing shit sky high

the iso and butane each leave residues but using them together cancels them out and leave a golden clear honey that is soooo taffy like and very very very potent

=) happy smoking im eighteen and spent last 6 months my life perfecting my faveeeee extract

• Like Like x 1
  9. Solvents (be that iso or butane) you use to make oil should not leave residue. No exceptions. If it leaves a residue you need to buy a higher quality product.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Would you mind posting directions on how to use the baster? Is the opening the right size to put the butane in?

11. You just need to screw the needle cap on and break the needle off at the tip.
    One of the fittings that Came with the butane will fit in that hole..then just stuff it with some bud, zip tie a coffee filter to the end and there you have it..

• Like Like x 1
  12. im sorry i know im diggin up an old post but is this kid huffin cans of tane or what?

• Like Like x 1
  13. #16 Bigfoot Extractors, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
    There are a lot of people out there blowing themselves up using open blasting techniques. They're also using off the shelf cans of tane that can contain lubricants and other impurities that are not intended for human consumption. I am a big believer in always using a closed loop system, thus recovering your solvent, and providing a cleaner end result.

As for purging, many use a vacuum oven, or purge pot under vacuum, but if your goal is to get the butane out and you're not worried about getting the excess H20 out, then a vacuum is not really necessary. All you have to do is gently warm the waxy sap up enough that the butane bubbles can escape.

I have seen this done with something as simple as some parchment paper in a pyrex dish and a heat gun. It's not rocket science, but you have to be mindful of the hazards in play.

http://cascadiadynamix.com/bho_extractor

• Like Like x 1
  14. theres more to vac purging than that, you got test results to back that up? Low-n-slow can work but it takes waaaay too long to be done properly. Cold boiling in a vac allows you to keep your temps low while lowering boiling points and decreasing purge time. a big plus to vac purging is the low temps/terpene preservation, so I guess unless you dont like terps, use a heat gun lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. #18 Bigfoot Extractors, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
    I agree with you about the heat gun, it will cause the terpenes evaporate out.  That being said, the vac oven will do the same thing.  It lowers the boiling point of the terpenes, thus causing them to boil out faster.  90F at ambient pressure is plenty to get butane to evaporate, 90F under 26HG vacuum will bring the boiling point of many alcohols (aromatic hydrocarbons; terpenes) down to below 90F, causing them to boil off.  However, butane boils at about 33F at ambient pressure, so you only need enough heat to cause the concentrate to become fluid and thin enough for the butane bubbles to escape.  

It's not rocket science, simple common sense. 

The real reason you need a vacuum oven, moisture removal.  If you bring the vacuum to 28.67Hg, the boiling point of water is 86 F, causing your product to dry out faster.  Ultimately, that's what you want but, it comes at the price of a loss in flavor and taste.  

Personally, I like our closed loop system where the final purge is taken care of before the product is ever removed from the system.  It utilizes a siphon attachment in the extractor's collection pot to port the solvent/oil solution to an external holding chamber.  That chamber has multiple ports on top and a large sight glass to see what's happening within.  These ports are often used to connect multiple refrigerant recovery pumps and a vacuum pump.  THey can also be daisy chained together for unlimited liquid handling capacity.  When the initial recovery is complete, the vacuum pump is initiated and the heat wrap takes the temp of the inner chamber up to around 90F.  In other words, the distillation column doubles at the vac oven and you don't have to open the system until ALL of the solvent has been removed.  You can take it down to just a few % moisture content, then finish it on parchment using any heat source you trust.  

• Like Like x 1