Rumple's 2nd LED Challenge

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Rumple,
    What is the footprint of the lamps at the 8" level they are recommending...will they cover adequately?

2. I don't know and I hope so.

3. Hooray! Subscribed:yay:

You're my favorite grower Rump :laughing:

4. This LED challenge doesn't utilize any other lighting.

5. I'm sure rumple has done this before....
    If anybody ever wants to test this.... just place the light at the height above a floor you want to know the footprint at (in rumples case 8") and measure the DIRECT coverage of the light. Or, just take a fairly rigid piece of paper or cardboard, and with a ruler or tape measure mark a grid on it in inches or cm. starting at one corner, then hold the paper under the light at the distance (in rumple's case 8") that you want to know the direct coverage of the light, hold it so that the corner you started your grid at is at one corner of the coverage, then see how far on your grid the direct light goes, then you can easily tell the footprint of the light.
    Thanks again rumple.

6. The Diodes on these devices are angled and the light foot print is pretty big. I raise my hand right up to the light and drop it down and away to follow this boundary. I think (with mine at least) one could be at 8" and cover quite a bit of foliage since it spreads out very aggressively just inches from the panel.

7. It's up against the usual results the poster gets from this exact same closet and setup but with a 400 watt HPS. He has posted other grow logs on this site if you'd like to see some comparisons.

8. sweet...cant wait to see if it makes any differnece....im loving that we get to see LEDs advance while being tested on weed...big thanks to Rumple and Prosource for letting us witness this :)

9. After checking out Prosources website i did some research myself... Ive found that puple at 425nm, blue at 440nm, and red at 660nm have the highest photsynthesis rate.

But what im trying to get at here is if a light was made with those colors it would have the highest photosynthesis rate. With purple it would produce a phenomenal vegging light...if they made the light a quadband and added orange at 600nm then from what i can tell the light would be unbeatable...

Im not a scientist and i dont know how true those photosynthesis charts are but the way i see it is if a light had those four colors at those ranges than it would produce optimal growth spectrum for the entire life of the plant....Now if they could figure out the penetration issue then they would be set...I think smaller bulbs with a little higher wattage would help the penetraion by creating more overlapping color ranges

does anything that came with the lights tell you what the wavelengths of the bulbs are Rumple?...i know their red is 662+ but thats all they let you know on their website

10. That may be true, but, not to offend in any way, I measure my growing area in feet, not in pretty big.
    If the footprint of the lights rumple is using adequately covers a bigger area than what he is using for his hps, then the test is bad, he could put out more bud per watt.
    If an hps covers most efficiently a say, 3 x 4 ft. area, and a prosource covers a 3.5 x 3.5 area, it would be optimal to design the test grow room the size their footprint covers, follow me? Square footage, wattage, time, yield, initial costs, operating costs, etc. make up your own equation.
    Anyway, good grows.
    Is your grow room size optimized for the lights rumple?

11. Well he has been using a 400w in that space. And it has a much larger foot print than 4x2. If the footprint is larger than the room then more light will be reflected back towards the plants. The light will be more intense overall in the room.

They are atempting to replace his 400w which has a larger footprint than his current room so of course the room isn't going to be optimized for LEDs in the manner that you are speaking of. He would need to build 2 more grow rooms to test the way you are saying. Have one for the footprint of the HPS and one for the footprint of the LEDs. But that isn't what they are trying to do atm. Maybe later this is something to try but for now they just need to be able to harvest the same watt for watt that he was getting in the exact closet. I think he stands a chance of getting it this time.

12. I think he'll stand the best chance when he is given carte blanche to use the lights as he feels they will best benefit his grow. That said, subbed and kickin' back.

:bongin:

13. No literature came with the lights. I asked about improvements and no details were given.

14. *finds recliner in the corner and stretches out*:cool:

15. hmmmm i wish they would tell us but i guess from a business stand point its better to not say anything.....guess well just have to find out for ourselves lol...

i wonder how much it would cost to make a DIY ufo....im gonna go look up bulbs and see how that would be done :)

16. Is the footprint, as you say, larger than 4' x 2' at 8", at 18", or at 2' of height.
    Come on, what you thinkin?
    If a test is done scientifically, these factors would be considered, as well as others.
    Rumple is making an admirable attempt to do straight forward cutting edge research here...TO OUR BENEFIT...THANK YOU RUMPLE...do you feel qualified to design a study that would be subject to scientific review?
    I don't know that rumple does either....but part of legitimate science is standing up to and answering legitimate questions about the design of any study. Maybe that should be prosources responsibility setting up the parameters of the grow as they have, but questions in any scientific review should be reasonably answered, I think all of us are interested in a fair comparison?

17. Rump could do hail mary's and it wouldn't please legitimate scientists like you...Rump grows 12oz with his regular 400 HID....his first grow at it with the first lights came in way short of expectations, to the point that it showed the LED's are nowhere near as efficient as the claims of 80% infact the efficiency was zero....and their claim of yeilds comparable to a 600 watt HID:smoke: and that's for one of these lights! When exactly does the truth come into play here since give Rumple 1200w of HPS and he can deliver 2 1/4 lbs lbs....only 800 grs to go!...ROFLMAO

18. Day Ten of Veg:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Day ten of veg is normally day one of flowering as well. Prosource asked to veg seven to ten days more then last time, so I will go another week or so before switching.

If you look at the last LED challange at day ten, you will notice the plant looks like a twin to this day ten.
    Last LED grow:
    [​IMG]

Current LED grow:
    [​IMG]

20. Maaan!

That's astounding- at least to me!

Rumple- what do you think the extended veg time will produce?