Rumple's 2nd LED Challenge

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Already did

2. Must say I'm impressed rumple. Maybe one day the prices will come down so the general population can afford em... Led a bit high for my budget

3. I'm buying another pair of 300s or 3 x 200s from Advanced when I get my tax refund. I'm doing a side by side with a GSL300 and a GLH300 right now. If I gave Rump a *quality* unit (Prosource are idiots for telling you to grow at 80F, period), and let him grow and use the unit as HE saw fit, I'd wager he'd have a much better haul.
    LED grows are becoming the norm where I hang nowadays - and HID-esque hauls are the norm.

4. Great work man, I was wondering, did you monitor the resivour temp both challenges for oxygen uptake, or did I miss a page?

5. Great review! It is all about the square of the distance problem that all indoor ops without side lighting have. When HO LED's come down in price, I will consider them for my veg cycles. Me, I start indoors under HO T5's and move them into my small greenhouse during the day for natural light (now that's dedication moving my veg plants twice per day). I flower 100% in the greenhouse and thus avoid the square of the distance/elongation problems. Hint to backyard growers: Solexx and some other materials are light diffusing and from the outside you cannot see what is in the inside unless some leaves are right against the wall. BTW, the sun's light is free. Rumple, your doc and pics of your LED grow are A+++. Sooo, if the conclusion is that these lights are great for the veg stage, would they not be even way better in that veg stage if they had more blue diodes than red ones?

6. I don't know about the color, but I do know it performs about the same as my MH, but makes less heat.

7. I dont know anybody that gets those results from LEDs, my mate took 3 down and put his HPS lights back up.

I take my hat off to you rumple, i wanted to try these but people put me off. It would be great if i could cut down on heat and energy but its a big expence if i dont pull it off.

8. I am currently using HID lights myself

9. Rumple i noticed you did that with leds 3yrs ago , they have improved a hell of a lot since then , can i ask you have you tried them again , i hear there are so many people out there getting great results using them.:)

10. #432 Rumpleforeskin, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
    Yes, we have tested them for another LED company and placed them in several current grow rooms. I have seen some good results when growing short plants, but they still have penetration issues with plants over 3' tall. The 5 watt leds still can't grow a full sized plant in my closet as well as my HID.I have not seen the drastic improvement you speak of. Just more folks selling them with cool names and wild claims.

When they work as well as HIDs I will be the first to switch over.

11. I'll be the 2nd, I use my LED's for Veggin' only. Can't get the weight from LED's.

12. My friend has been raving about LED's now for the past few weeks and is convinced they are the bomb. I however am not on the same page. He is about to spend over 800 bucks on a set and although it looks good in the ad, they all do. Im goin to use HPS so i know whats goin on but he wont listen to me. Im scared for him! He is a good friend and i know he heading for a large dissapointment :(

My question is have you ever seen ANY LED's at any price range that seemed even slighly promising based on solid proof.

13. Most quality LEDs at 100 watts per plant will grow some good weed. Just have to keep your crop on the short side of things. If that is not an issues then he will be happy with the results.I just don't see it as being an energy savings.

14. Hey Rump, as you can tell I'm digging thru your stuff :smoke:  have you done anymore LED testing? I've only been growing ( I'm a legal medical grower FYI) for a year now and when I set everything up I went with a Black Dog 700 in a 4x4 tent. Picked up 2nd 4x4 tent for vegging and have a t-5 in it. I've used the Black Dog exclusively for flowering so I have no frame of reference on HID or what it can do. Where are you at on the two types these days, LED and HID? Heat has always been an issue. Took me awhile to figure out how to deal with it since I didn't expect there to be much. Wrong :confused_2:

15. Yes we have tested quite a few different LED lamps in the last few years. They tend to work pretty good as long as you keep the plants short. Watt for watt HIDs will grow more bud, but not every grow space is ideal for that type of lighting.

16. damn why did this thread die?