Advanced Nutrients Discussion

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Manager, Jan 22, 2010.

1. per light, i dont go by per plant because that can vary depending on # of plants and growing style, but as a rule of thumb i always say a min of 1.5 lbs per 1k watt light, so since i just got the AN line i will be hoping to get close to the 2.5 - 3 lbs per light, a family friend i know gets about 3 lbs per light....i put 9-10 plants per light

2. IMO there is 2 ways to boost your yield, one is fine tuning, the other is boosting your lights

3. yeah i'm working on a 2 week perpetual grow for a tent 56x56 x78 .in hope to fit 9-16 plants n pull 3-4 every 2 weeks or so. i am waiting on the money for the light and in the process of cloneing and growing some moms . i'll just get some widows under a t5 for now but i'm want to fill my tent the t5 is only half of the space i have. i can use the tent just for flower . so i'm still tuning . i am trying to plan a good system for rotation and whatnot .i just dont want to wait all those months for 1 harvest you know..

4. Lb 's per light don't mean much since all strains produce differently and it also depends on the veg time. You could veg for 6/8 weeks and grow trees and end up with 4 lb per light but you only end up with a few crops per year.

5. this is very normal for the country where i live , and there are no chlorine in it , its due to the high Calcium contraction in the underground . very hard water . we got a RO now tho , just waiting for hydroponics.eu to get there shit together and send the missing parts .

6. The guys at the hydro store say its just a marketing gimmick

7. Thats only a partial truth. They do spend way more then any hydroponic food manufacturer on advertising. If you spend enough money on posters and ads telling people how AWESOME YIELDING your just like everyones else food is they'll eventually believe it. 80% of weed growers think that if they just give their plants some "super food" they'll get crazy yields with out putting any effort into it. All Advanced as done is tap into the gullible thinking and they made off to the bank with it.

97% of Advanced products are just like every other manufacturers products. They do have a few products that can just stand out like Voodoo Juice, and possibly Piranha/Tarantula. VooDoo is their top products the other two you can get from several other manufactures that are just as good.

They're not miles above anyone else and their not below anyone else they're just the same.

8. i disagree . AN are not the same if they were . they wouldnt have stand outs now would they. i can wax about thiem n by no way do i work for them but they are in no way regular . xcept maybe ,that three part base . everything else speaks for itself. what you grow how you grow is all relative for sure but i'll stick with AN. i talk alot with my local shop n they can give you an eqiuvalent but they are not as good because of dilution , or some other reason. but to each his own .

9. veg for 21 days or until plants are 18-24" tall then switch to 12/12 and flower for 49 days, this is how i do it with my strain, origional from the 80's, i just baught more strains so i can have more variety, but regardless of strain, i always say 1.5 lbs per light minimum with out co2 is what ive always done

10. Well I worked at a hydro store from 2002-2009 and I can tell you 100% ALL foods made by the major/medium manufactures are within 5% or less of each other. I've dealt with 1000's of growers of the years and there was no one "the" food.

I've seen growers get 1.25lb/per light growing PK using Peters/Scott's 5-15-17/20-20-20/10-30-20 and others get just 1lb/per light using Advanced/GH

Some manufacturers might have one or two products that stand a little above the test but thats it.

But if you want to eat into the hype from any manufacturer go ahead. Its your money at the end of the day.

11. its not hype . i'm not here to be marketed i ve done the research. i have seen and read on other products. shit , i have grown in miricale grow with results . if i add 5% on a dollar that makes alot of dollars at the end of the year. i love people who have worked in stores and on grows to say what works for them . thats great alot of supploments are different , made different have more of this than that they are different.bottom line ... can you get results from other products i'm sure but for an extra 80$ i'll buy supplements nobody else has. i like what AN is doing with some of their products and i'll continue to buy them until some1 shows me something that beats it hands down...
    but thats just me. i'll use fox farm in veg or emulshions n stuff but when it comes time for flower. i'm all about AN until i see different.if you want to show me what you think is the best n prove why i'll listen. and if you buy it i would use it too...

12. hey everyone, i was looking on the net and foud this site: marijuanafertilizers.com and i found an interesting article, and it goes as follows....happy reading;);

Advanced Nutrients says they have the best pot plantfood, and they are challenging the competition.

In the last issue of Cannabis Culture, I told you about a Canadian marijuana nutrients company called Advanced Nutrients (CC#45, The Ultimate Pot Plantfood).
    The information I provided about Advanced Nutrients was in the context of an article that discussed Marijuana Growth Deficiency Syndrome (MGDS), which is characterized by plants that grow poorly and produce low yields.
    I wrote that Advanced Nutrients products might well cure MGDS, because the company's product research, formulations, and quality control seemed to be setting a higher standard than that already seen in the marijuana nutrients industry.
    The company makes its nutrients in a huge industrial facility near Vancouver. When I toured the facility with Cannabis Culture editor Dana Larsen, we saw how Advanced Nutrients' scientists and production managers chemically manipulate essential nutrients to make them more bioavailable to cannabis plants.
    [​IMG]We were also impressed by the company's Sensi Pro flowering formula, which features separate pouches of targeted week-specific nutrients that are combined by the grower every week during the grow cycle.
    Company founder Mike Straumietis explained that the flowering formula ingredients are kept separate until use, because some of the products are biologically active and/or symbiotic, and could be degraded if shipped pre-mixed.
    When I started telling people I thought Advanced Nutrients had superior nutrient products, I got various reactions. One of my colleagues in the marijuana industry accused me of having "sold out" because the company was advertising in my magazine. He also alleged that "synthetic chemical" nutrients produced "chemmy," inferior weed.
    Representatives of rival nutrients companies told me that their products were superior to Advanced Nutrients products, but they could not offer any proof of that, and indeed, those company reps were unwilling to even let me state that their products were designed for marijuana cultivation!
    Straumietis reacted to these criticisms by asking a Health Canada-licensed medical marijuana grower to set up a test grow room that compared nutrients produced by six companies: Advanced Nutrients, GrowTek, Canna, Supernatural, General Hydroponics, and Dutch Master.
    I visited the grow room four times, interviewed the licensed grower and an on-site grow expert named "Remo," and also examined records and videotapes that documented the comparison grow from start to finish.
    The results were fascinating, so let's examine how the different nutrients fared.

Berlin clones
    The test grow room used a marijuana variety known as "Berlin." This is a bushy, high-yielding, mostly Afghani-Indica plant that produces large buds and a powerful high. It's very popular in British Columbia because it grows well in a variety of conditions and is easy to maintain.
    Some marijuana is difficult to grow because it requires an extremely careful balance of nutrients administered with precise timing; Berlin is a resilient and forgiving variety that grows well when it has access to adequate levels of nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus and micronutrients.
    "If a Berlin plant has problems with vigor due to nutrient deficiency," Straumietis explains, "then the nutrients have to be very poor indeed. We wanted to be fair to everyone in this contest, so we chose a variety that does not have unusual nutrient needs."
    To begin the comparison grow experiment, the grow room managers made 48 clones from one Berlin mother plant. It is possible to introduce some unintended variation into an experimental grow room at the cloning level, because clones from different parts of a plant can have different growth characteristics, even if they are taken at the same time.
    The grow managers minimized that variation by randomizing the clones so that all 48 Grodan-rooted clones were randomly placed in a single grow room that had six areas with eight plants each – each area was designated for one of the six nutrients companies that were being compared.
    The grow room was a professional, white, sealed enclosure with eight 1,000-watt Hortilux bulbs, a CO2 generator, and dehumidifiers. The interior temperature was at a constant 78 degrees F (25 degrees C), with humidity between 50-60%. The room was monitored 24 hours a day to guard against any environmental variations.
    After the clones were thoroughly rooted, they were placed into one-gallon pots containing Sunshine Mix #4, which is a popular BC growing medium that contains peat moss, sphagnum moss, perlite and other components.
    The newly-repotted, rooted clones were immediately placed on a fertilizer regimen that followed the written instructions for vegetative growth fertilizers as provided by each company.
    After the plants had been in 18-hour light per day vegetative growth for seven weeks, they were placed on a flowering schedule and the growers followed the bloom formula protocols specified by each company. At the start of the flowering period, the plants were transferred from one-gallon pots to seven-gallon pots filled with Sunshine Mix #4.
    The grow room supervisors claim that they did not modify any of the company's nutrient protocols, and they made sure that pH and PPM were uniformly maintained so that water supplies, nutrient density, and pH were identical during the test.

Not all the same
    Remo said that he was surprised to see that there were big differences in how the plants were growing.
    "I've seen a lot of problems in grow rooms, but I had never seen a situation in which identical clones began to look not identical. By the time we got to the flowering cycle, it looked like we had three or four varieties of plants in that room, even though all clones had come from the same plant," Remo explained. "It wasn't as bad as having Indica-fat leaves start looking like Sativa leaves or anything that drastic, but the leaf shapes on some of the plants were totally different than the leaves on the mother plant, as were the branching and growth patterns. It just shows you how nutrients affect the look of a plant."
    There were other differences as well, Remo says. During vegetative phase, some of the plants under different nutrient regimes exhibited symptoms of deficiencies in elements such as calcium, zinc, potassium, and manganese.
    The same problems manifested under flowering, with symptoms related to deficiencies in elements such as phosphorus, potassium, nitrogen, manganese and potassium.
    In both phases, the Advanced Nutrients plants exhibited the most robust and uniform growth. The only problem visible was a small amount of leaf tip burning.
    Some nutrient formulas had even worse problems.
    "We were shocked by what happened with the Dutch Master plants. They got really dark green and the leaves curled over all weird. They didn't even look like Berlin clones anymore. And they dwarfed out and just stopped growing. They looked like mutants!"

Unjustified cynicism?
    When I visited the comparison grow room during the fifth week of the flowering cycle, it was obvious that one set of plants – the Advanced Nutrients set – were the healthiest and biggest in the room.
    I realized that cynical people would accuse the grow room managers of manipulating the grow environment so Advanced Nutrients would win, but Straumietis says he used the comparison grow for product research and development purposes, not as a scam situation designed to make his company look best.
    "We are totally open to the possibility that some other company might make better products than we do," he said. "If somebody else had products that grew better cannabis than ours did, I would be interested in that because I am all about growing the best cannabis. I would also try to figure out how their products were better than ours, and make our products the best. Some people say that's greedy or competitive, but that's how products improve – different people try to make better stuff than the other guy, right?"
    As it turned out, Straumietis didn't have much to fear from the other big nutrient companies.
    In vegetative and bloom cycles, Advanced Nutrients plants outperformed the other plants. They were the tallest and healthiest. Their leaves were green without being too dark or light, and their buds were both longer and thicker than the buds from any other plants. However, their plants had a small amount of tip burning, which Straumietis said was because his formulation is at the upper end of the PPM scale.
    "I found the that the Advanced Nutrients products were easiest to use," said Remo. "They have it all in one package and it self-adjusts for pH. What happened when we measured the harvest didn't really surprise me."

Weigh way more
    Harvest day came 14 weeks after the clones were rooted.
    "Our plants outdistanced the second place finisher by 65%," Straumietis said, after explaining how all the buds were cut and cured the same way. "Our six plants with one light produced 2.16 pounds of bud. We did two other comparisons. In one we took a 454-gram sample from each group and made water hash out of it. Our bud produced 12 grams of extracted glands, while Grow-Tek's came in second with 11.3 grams; even though they were the smallest plants overall."
    Straumietis says he ran another comparison test that measured percentages of three cannabinoids. Again, Advanced Nutrients came out on top, producing 21.2% THC, and very low percentages of two other cannabinoids (cannabinol and cannabidiol, known as CBN and CBD), that limit marijuana's psychoactive effects.
    The second place finisher in the cannabinoid percentage category was GrowTek, which produced 18.7% THC while also producing a whopping 9.09% CBD and 5.84% CBD. While CBD and CBN have some medical applications which THC does not, in practical terms important to those who want potent recreational marijuana, these cannabinoids can also reduce the psychoactive effects of THC.

The nutrient challenge
    It's now obvious that not all nutrients are the same. A grower can do everything right in regards to lighting, climate control and genetics, and still have crop failure.
    There will still be those who believe Advanced Nutrients rigged the grow test, or that the results were tainted because the grow was not run by a neutral, third-party agricultural testing service, or that the results were from a one-time grow situation that might not be generalizable for other grow situations.
    Straumietis says he tried to find a third-party testing service to run the grow op for him, but that all of the ones he contacted refused to test nutrients when they were being used to grow marijuana plants.
    "There are always going to be doubters," Straumietis says, "and we expect that. We have issued a worldwide challenge to all nutrients companies, asking them to share the cost and the work involved in doing more nutrient competitions. None have taken us up on our offer, even though many have criticized our intentions and products.
    "If we're not making the best nutrients available, we want to know about it," concluded Straumietis. "We think we are, and we think the grow room contest proved it. If somebody wants to prove us wrong, let's set up a grow room and compete head to head. We're sure Advanced Nutrients will produce higher yields of more potent buds. If somebody doesn't believe that, let's grow plants side by side. We're ready for the competition. Bring it on!"

and like i said this article can be found on Marijuana fertilizer for healthy cannabis plants with higher yields

13. This is unheard of. A company stating that their product is the best compared to their competition. LOL

14. some people just know it all dont they... i know if i had the best i would callenge anyone telling people different. unheard of or maybe you just dont want to hear it...

15. Some people just believe anything. You're a perfect example of the success of Advanced Nutrients marketing department. Can't deny that fact that they do a good job hyping up ordinary products which are made from the same raw materials that are sourced from the same chemical manufacturers like all the other hydro companies.

How people can sit here with a straight face and believe that one company has weed specific formulations of

Fulvic Acid
    Humic Acid
    Potassium Silicate
    Powdered Carbo Load (Dextrose)
    SeaWeed Extract
    Vitamin B mix
    Molassess
    Etc...
    3 part plant food (GH copy)
    2 Part Sensi (Canna copy)

is beyond me

16. #36 jiggaboojones, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2010
    i love how you just go from thread to thread n show your ass . where are the amounts of all those in comparasins from product to product. we all know they have the same stuff n some others . how full of yourself do you have to be to think that all products are the same, AN aside?. i dont ever remember seeing this on a billboard i had to research it. fact is i dont care for you know it all types . n i'd rather use miracle grow than your product if you were sellin one. so i understand why u dont use AN.
    whats your recipe wise guy? so we can over analize n fault your routines with a bad attitude. you still havent said anything about good products and support it with much. xcept the whatever it was you just posted. all you have done is simply bash AN . check your attitude n bring somethin to the table . what product do u use ? n why. what have you used in the past n why? what are the differences in grows? you grow with what works for u and it may not be what i do with mine. or maybe you take yourself so seriously its bla zea... joe has posted whole articles in reference to research n you post the back of a bottle minus ratio's n without a comparasin. why dont you put up or shut up. i'm here to see and talk with people who use the products n why for the benefits and if there is somethin to be learnt . heckled by a jerk isnt our idea of productive information. do me a favor n dont even reply .

17. Here is my 2 cents.....

I used GH for 10 years and never had a problem... in fact I loved them, then I read an article in CC that pros in Canada were useing the full line af AN, so I thought I would give it a shot. I started with the three part system (grow, micro, bloom), Bud Candy and Final Phase only ... same set up same genetics I got a 50% increase in yeild (from 500g / meter to 750g / meter) so needless to say they sold me. I have moved up to the two part system and added bud blood, nirvana and synsime to this grow. I will let you know if it was worth it.

18. So, 1.5 lbs is 672 grams per 1000w is not that effient.

I am getting 500 grams per 400w of HPS lighting and I am using Advance Nutrients Organic Line.

I run 4 plants in a 4x4x7 room.

When I water, I mix 4 litters of water with the recommend nutrients per the med feed schedule, then everyday to every other day each plant gets 1 liter for the mix, then for 2 days I flush with only water before the next week cycle.

Here is a picture of my BlackBerry the last week.

Attached Files:

19. I didn't believe until I tried their products. You should check out the underground grow network. The Growers Underground - Bigger Buds For The Plants You Grow, Join The Nutrient Revolution and a recent article Use This Product Instead Of Advanced Nutrients . Advanced is so pro Canabis that alot of thier products are banned in certain states.

Everyone that trys my meds like it over stuff that is commerically sold in shops.

It is well worth the $ 250 startup.

20. #40 joe_fresh, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2010

well with the 1.5 lbs per light i was useing "jacks professional" comercial grade fertilizer without co2, very cheap in large bulk, but after hearing all that ive heard about AN i thaught i would give it a try, this time with co2, i hope to get close to 3 lbs per light but we will have to see