Advanced Nutrients Discussion

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Manager, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Does any one out there use the line of Advanced Nutrients products? Or do you find it is not cost effective? I have just started using the whole list of their products... so I have been using there calculator but I have been playing with it a little. I didnt think with so many different things going in to the water that your nutrients would be so ,... touchy. My Star 47 (sensi star and AK 47) seedling was going strong so I chose to skip a week so it was a little stronger mix.... its A: Bad genes(doubt) or B: I have shocked it (choose this one) has any one made this mistake and did you salvage it?

2. how old is ur seedling and are you using a hydro fert in soil?

i dont use advanced but many around here do. but i do know that less is more when it comes to using ferts. its not good put any fert on a seedling in my opinion, and if i did... i would be using half of the minimum amount they called for.

3. It was two weeks. In a BB system(rump.'s of course.) I mean it just shocked it a tad (small new set of leafs and a bit dry) I promptly took a gallon out and replaced it with just water.

4. What do you mean when you say that you bought the entire lineup of Advanced Nutrients? Most people I know only start out with a few nutes at first, then they add in more. That calculator on the AN website is really for experts who have more time on their hands and more plants to feed, I think.

All you really need are some base nutes and a few other nutes to get things started. Use too much and yes, you're going to have problems. I've also found with Advanced Nutrients in hydro is that you need to start things off at half strength in order to start things off, then you can increase the strength if your genetics can handle it.

If the plants seem to be doing fine and growing strong, then you can add more nutes. It's always better to add to the nutes than to take them away, as it seems you're figuring out.

I applaud your attempt to try to use a whole bunch of great nutrients...but it's really not necessary. It just causes a lot of headaches.

A few AN nutes that I've used:

Sensi A&B
    Voodoo Juice
    Big Bud

And I've used some other things from time to time, but those are the winners time and time again.

The next time will be better! :hello:

5. #5 paint_u_dgt, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
    I use the full line as well, with sensi grow and bloom in soil.

I know that someone will say that AN is for hydro not soil but, I disagree.

I haven't really had any problems with the AN feeding schedules other than having to adjust down the supplement amounts to get the target EC. The key with AN is that you have to have a good meter that tests PH, TDS/EC and you need to use the EC measurement with the conversion factor set at .07 or is it .7 idk I'm stoned and forgot, easy enough to figure out though.

I use the Rooted clones and seedling chart for the first two-three weeks after the seedling has developed 4 new sets of leaves. Until then I water all my plants with 1/4 strength Piranha and Tarantula from seed. I have read that you can foliar feed with 1/4 strength B-52 but, it can burn your young leaves pretty easily so I don't.

Burns are going to happen with AN that is all there is to it. Its highly concentrated if it wasn't it wouldn't be worth the money. You gotta test the waters (no pun intended) to find out what your plants can take so you get the most out of them i.e. hit them until they start to show signs of over fertilizing then tailor it down so your just at the limit.

I don't care what anyone else says I have had great success so far with AN and think you made a good choice and investment.

6. I burned the first time i ran iguana but never after that. Its hard to burn imo.

just dont go crazy and have your know how

7. Hey thank you guys for all the responses. I'm so sorry I have been out of town on business. I fully agree with all of your post. It is def. a must to start out 1/2 strength and work your way up! All of them are up to par. But I did make the decision to pull the dwarf plant. I am using them for mother plants (the plant I dwarfed was Star 47. I'm sure some with disagree but I look for perfection!

8. I don't know why so many people think that the word "hydro' means/refers to growing in water systems.

Hydro simply means growing in an inert medium while supplying the plant with water/nutrients. This medium can be anything including peat based dirt.

Yes there are foods formulated to better suit hydro water gardens (bubble, aero, flood and drain and etc..) but almost all can be used with peat/coco/etc... based medium.

As for using the "whole" line, why waste the money? You're doubling up on the same products for a 1/3 of the line.

9. thats quite the investment . hopefully they have a good shelf life they have a ton of products what did you buy? iguana is supposed to be a good start for some because of it being organic it wont burn as much as the synthetics. i was checking into all sorts of combo's they use its fuckin awesome company to be so dynamic. they have a mag called rosebud now that has alot of info on their products you might find usefull. also the growers underground .com is their website for some video info . i want to buy some of those products but i have to wait a little bit.

if any one could help me with this i would be thankfull. i have a few plants that are 3 weeks and want to start giving them nutes . i have been giving them fish emulshion and want to try AN products. i already have big bud and something similar to budblood and will purchase overdrive. but i was wondering what would suite my plants best now or in the next 2 weeks to use for duration of growth or just for supplimental , i am simply just guessing here but it seems either voodoo juice or b52 maybe senzizym ? i dont know hopefully you do.. later

10. Explain. By the "whole" I am refering to AN's nutrients calculator (you can google it!) I am lacking just a few of their products it said for the Sensi Two part grow.

As far as using the whole line and wasting money... What is your defination of marijuana? I belive part of what brings down what we do is our lack of pride for it. Hell I don't care if I spent a 2000 dollars on a quality product and have a good strong healthy yield with good genetics. I do it for the hobby not the cash. Hell sure its out there but the bottom line is when its YOURS and its not some one slapping a name on some thing! As far as AN goes I havnt desided yet but that is what I am trying to do evaluate the product not the cost of goods :)!

11. well i will be prolly buying the AN line this week, i emailed them and they told me which grow and bloom schedule would best suit my needs, as for the shelf life i believe it said on the website that it had an 8 month shelf life, so make sure you dont go buy more than youll need for the next 8 months, lol, i say this because i plan to get larger quantity so i dont have to go back to the store so often, what i plan to do is calculate the total amount of each product i will use (in ml and L) with the AN calculator for my resevoir, then multiply that by the amount i will need to use in one week, then multiply that by the number of weeks i will use it(strain), then see how much i would use in 6 months, i havent done this yet but do need to as you do save $ when you buy in quantity

12. i have just started growing in 09 and have been doing mass amounts of research on the subject since and well AN seems to be the end all be all when it comes to nutes. if it isnt they discontinue the product and make something better than the leading brand such as jump start. my hydro store has informd me of anything that an makes she can help me find a competitor for all products at a cheaper price but told me that it wont be as good . i have since bought big bud and will buy overdrive and have a replacement for budblood. since my grow is in swing already i just focused on the bloom stage and use fish emulshion in veg which works very well i might add. (smells like shit though) any way i firmly believe that you will never waste your money with them unless as joe said 8 month shelf life expires. i also bought my products in powder form to save some change i wonder if this has a longer shelf life?

13. I've used AN for Hydro, But only the 3 part GMB with adding Over drive during flowering. I've never had an issue with it.
    My only concern beside the cost, is the shelf life, do these bottles sit on the shelves a little longer at the Hydro strores degrading in quality?

14. Quote: "I don't know why so many people think that the word "hydro' means/refers to growing in water systems."

Jesus Christ!

Because the word hydro tends to relate to water. As in Hydroelectric, Hydropathic.

It's slaying for the most common methods growing hydroponicly such as DWC, Ebb and Flow, and so on Damn.

Why is there always someone who has to nit pick every little thing. I'm sure everyone who read the post knew what I was talking about.

Not productive!

15. There are too many new growers on here is always confused about plant food. There are ton of questions on here like Can I use "hydro" or "hydroponic" labeled food for my set up.

People need to know that manufactured plant food is not "just" for aero/drip/e&b/etc.. its can be used just as successfully in peat/coco/even your own outdoor in regular dirt vegetable garden.

16. I just turned to AN (organic line damm its expensive and yes i bought everything in there .), for testing on mother plants,
    As i see it its very imported to use the calculator:
    Advanced Nutrients' Nutrient Calculator - Analyze Soil Chemistry and Plant Nutrient Levels for Your Hydroponic or Indoor Garden.

there calc is based on ppm value = 0 from reverse osmosis systems.
    my tap water ppm is about 550 , so i use only 1/3 of the dosage. to get my ppm right according to the calculator.

do not over do the ppm , check with the seed company if the strain can handle more than normal .

Excited to see what this "wonder " product does for my plants .

Hope you can use this info .
    cheers. :wave:

17. 550 for tap water is way too high & will only create problems.
    Can you get distilled water or RO water from Sams Club?

18. i use voodoo juice pirannah and trantula. amazing products but i dont recommend the hole line. I average about 1.5 lb a 1000w with advance supplements and 1.1 lb without. Dont even bother with these supplements if you dont have you climate in control

19. wow, 1.5 lbs per light?? thats what i get at my worst, i get a min of 1.5 lbs per 1k light, but have gotten over 2, and thats without co2 or advanced nutes, just plain old jacks professional chem ferts, now i just switched to the AN line and i hope to see a big diff

20. per light or per plant ? either way thats a nice number. i am getting a 1000watter soon . but i have never used hps. i dont realy know what to expect. what avg. per plant if i might ask ?