Inline exhaust fan before or after carbon filter?

• by gogreencolorado
  • Jan 18 2010 01:39 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • gogreencolorado
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:39 AM

I'm in the process of building a small grow closet and would like to know from you guys and gals if I should put the exhaust fan before or after the carbon filter, does it matter? Thanks a lot! Pics. coming soon!
Peace,
Jeremy
Replies (7)

• Banned

• DannyDuhzet
  • Banned by Moderators
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:13 AM

I put the exhasut fan on top of the filter so that its sucking air through the filter, through the lights and out of the grow room.. i have pics and a video from my grow room in my journal if that would help you out.. you should check it.. good luck mang.

• PipPipPip
  • gogreencolorado
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:24 AM

Thanks, nice looking grow room and plants. My grow room is almost identical in size as yours, maybe bit smaller. Good work!

• johnk
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:12 AM

Either way works. Sucking from the filter is easier on the fan. Blowing into the filter makes better use of the carbon.

• PipPipPip
  • gogreencolorado
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:36 AM

Thanks johnk, I also have same htg HPS system, only the 250 Watt model. Does your ballast stay cool enough mounted outside the box? I have limited space and currently have mine mounted above my grow area on a shelf. I was thinking of buying an aux. fan to keep air circulated around the ballast. Do you think a aux. fan is necessary or would it be ok to leave it as is? BTW, the space is only 3X3 ft. with about 8 ft. of vertical height. Thanks again from a newbie!

• johnk
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:55 AM

My ballast is inside my closet. It's cold where I live so I need the heat LOL! Keep it up on the shelf and you should be OK. GL!

• Banned

• DannyDuhzet
  • Banned by Moderators
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:09 AM

Thanks, nice looking grow room and plants. My grow room is almost identical in size as yours, maybe bit smaller. Good work!

thanks man..

• Getting a bigger space!

• VoteYesin2010
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:19 AM

johnk is right. sucking through the filter is more efficient and easier on the fan. Fans don't like back pressure too much. It puts too much of a strain on the motor and it could prematurely fail.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 1999 - 2015 420Network BV | All rights reserved