• May 15 2002 02:12 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • slickpb
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2002 - 02:12 AM

I'm considering buying an American Pride 250 watt Metal Halide ballast. Does anybody have this ballast? I have a couple questions. 1.) Is it noisy? 2.) What exactly comes with the ballast? Does a socket come with it so I could just screw on a 250 watt Metal Halide bulb and turn it on? 3.) I want to get a reflector. I'm thinking of the Growers Pride Reflector. It comes with a mogul socket and there's the option of a cord to the ballast. Do I need to buy the reflector with the cord to the ballast? Or does the ballast itself have a cord to the reflector? I'm basically confused as to what comes with a ballast. 4.) Does anybody know of any cheaper ballasts that work well. The American Pride is USD 98.50. I did see an F-Can Type Metal Halide ballast for USD 60. I have the same questions about this ballast ( what exactly comes with it ). 5.) What is the best Metal Halide bulb to get? Also, what is the best conversion bulb? Eventually I plan to buy a conversion bulb for flowering. I'm new to indoor lighting and I'd appreciate answers to any of these questions. Thanks for your help.
Replies (6)

Similar Topics: Ballast Questions     x

• Old School Stoner

• NdicaBud
  • Old School
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 15 May 2002 - 10:04 AM

Most 250w ballasts are not very loud..As far as the ballast,and what comes with it ,,that depends on where you get it from....do you have a link? I'll look at it...

this place has very inexpensive lights,and has a good reputation here in the city....take look...can't hurt...http://www.insidesun.com/

Posted Image

• Pip
  • slickpb
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2002 - 04:17 PM

Thanks a lot for that link!

• PipPip
  • WormHole
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 May 2002 - 04:32 PM

You'll do good with a light from Inside Sun. If you have any questions about them or the lights feel free to PM me.

• Pip
  • slickpb
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 06:12 AM

would i need to buy anything to keep the heat down if i was running a 250 hps in a 5' x 3' x 2' space? if so, what would i need to buy?

• PipPip
  • WormHole
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 06:27 AM

It depends. You should have a fan on your plants anyway. I have one that blows between the lights and the plants to get the lights down lower. If you're in a situation where you can leave the door open while the lights are on then you won't really need more than a small fan. But if you're in a situation where it has to be closed up then you'll need to ventilate and exhaust it someway.

~Worm

• Old School Stoner

• NdicaBud
  • Old School
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 05:36 PM

Originally posted by slickpb
would i need to buy anything to keep the heat down if i was running a 250 hps in a 5' x 3' x 2' space? if so, what would i need to buy?

You will need to get an exhaust fan at least 110 cfm that will be able to evacuate the area of heat and stale air,mounted at a highpoint of the area that can be made lightproof,,high output PCfans,microwave blower/fans,bath fans(though I find them noisy),small squirrel fans,,etc..will work...you will also need to have a good intake vent that is also lightproof...

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users