Why didnt Frodo and Sam just fly to Mordor?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by C. Majik, Dec 30, 2009.

1. He rescued Gandalf from Isengard though, not Mordor.

2. #22 TearDownGod, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009

What if they used beeswax? It worked for blocking out the sirens enchanting call for whatshisface, odysseus's oarsmen to crash into the rocks and kill themselves.. Heh.

eidt- besides, if there so hard to kill, why could that dude so easily decapitate one of them

3. #23 TearDownGod, Dec 30, 2009

Doesn't that make them pussies though?! I mean, c'mon, it's like the battle at the end of the universe, how the fuck can you NOT participate?

edit- What if they had long range ballistae on each eagle so they could snark them out from a distance also?

4. Fairly sure Sauron would have noticed them flying in on eagles, he would have fucked their shit up for sure.

5. #25 TearDownGod, Dec 30, 2009

How?! His eye can't shoot lazers!

edit- Please pardon my semi-ignorance, i've seen all the movies but never read any of the books.

6. Why didn't they just Apparate like in 'Arry Potter?
    Or the Floo Network maybe.

7. Because only british wizard teenagers can do that.

8. Elijiah Wood could pass as a teenage british wizard.

9. But he isn't one so:p

10. in the book, gandalf asked the eagles and they said they didnt want to get involved, I asked my grandpa

11. you must not be "down" with the trilogy..

[​IMG]

12. Thanks for the responses everyone. Did a little research and found these parts of the book that puts some of your answers down.
    Someone said the eye would see them

"...His eye watches that way [the Black Gate] all the time..." (II, 294)

"No, no indeed," said Gollum. "Hobbits must see, must try to understand. He does not expect attack that way [Cirith Ungol]. His eye is all around, but it attends more to some places than to others. He can't see everything at once, not yet. [...] He thinks that no one can come to the Moon-tower without fighting big battle at the bridges, or getting lots of boats which they cannot hide and He will know about." (II, 316)

plus the ring bearer was only vulnerable to be found by Sauron if that person was WEARING the ring.

For the ppl saying the Nazgul would fuck the eagles shit up:

"Then come, and let your brother go with us, and some other of your folk(eagles) who is most swift! For we have need of speed greater than any wind, outmatching the wings of the Nazgûl." (III)

that's all i could find that's relevant right now

Hope everyone's having a good night.

13. Off topic but is "pipe weed" actually reefer?

Did Gandalf tug off that purp?

14. :D As did mary and Pippen in a deleted scene in the two towers dvd.

15. haha so awesome but still that's only the movie. Hollywood could have had something to do with that but would Tolkien?

16. yes..saruman used to get on gandalf's case about smoking the halflings leaf..

"Your love of the hobbit's leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

turns out, saruman got interested and stole a shitton of weed from the shire and was smoking in secret..

obviously it wasn't tobbacco

17. Yeah, that's what I was going to say.

Also if they just flew there, there'd be no story.

18. #39 TearDownGod, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009

To bad the truthful answer has to be so lame:(

It'd be cooler if the eagles were just like, 'Nah, we don't feel like it, Mordor is all hot and shit.' That'd be a wayy cooler way of explaining why they didn't fly. And then Sam and Frodo had to walk back to the Shire, taking them another year and a half.

Edit- why is it that everyone can contribute to a LOTR discussion but no one ever wants to talk with me about DUNE?! I'm so alone.

19. Because i drugged all y'all into posting on this thread.

And to all of you who keep saying "there wouldn't be a story" I already know that! I'm talking about hard evidence in the book that covers up the plot hole.

Great book though and I will always love it!

Next thread: Dragon Age: Origins