The Grasscity Magazine Launch

Your new #1 Marijuana Resource, check it out and Disqus(!) Grasscity Magazine, share the love blades!

Will A LAYER of Clay Pellets in soil increase pot drainage?

• by Footclan
  • Dec 25 2009 09:20 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • Footclan
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:20 AM

Im doing a passive hydro with a peatmoss soilless mix(sunshine mix#4) and i heard that if you mix clay pellets or rather put a Layer of clay in the middle that u can increase drainage in turn resulting in more frequent waterings/fertilzers with less chance of salt build up and nut lock up.......Anyone ever heard of this and/or played around with putting layers of clay pellets in a PeatMoss soilless type pot mix?? Also i heard you can put a layer of clay pellets on the very top soil to discourage flys and other bugs from digging around in the soil. Anyone ever heard this before too???
Replies (6)

• Homegrown4.20
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

Hey mate. Have you heard of perlite? Its what most people mix with soil to improve drainage but also improve moisture and oxygen retention. Personally I wouldnt use a layer of anything on the bottom because I've found that once the roots grow into it, the medium tends to dry out which kills the roots as a result. goodluck mate.

• dankdaddy09
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

i use a 10 gal pot and put about 2 or 3 " of clay in the bottom of mine :)

• Homegrown4.20
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

MIght have something to do with the really high temperatures in my location -_-

• littlejoe1227
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

i put pea gravel on the bottom and mix sand with my potting mix and i have a hydro set up i am useing clay pellets and i have gnats in it :D

• tester of gods products

• thunderfck
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 609 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:47 PM

i use 3 or 5 gallon square pots with fox farm soil mixed with 10% perlite. i put a 2-3 inch layer of hydroton on the bottom, and i put a thin layer of sand on the top. the sand keeps pests from invading the soil;)

• PipPip
  • Footclan
  • Registered Upgraded
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:16 PM

Hey mate. Have you heard of perlite? Its what most people mix with soil to improve drainage but also improve moisture and oxygen retention. Personally I wouldnt use a layer of anything on the bottom because I've found that once the roots grow into it, the medium tends to dry out which kills the roots as a result. goodluck mate.

ya im already planning on adding extra peralite and yes my last grow i put rocks at the bottom and it seemed to slow drainage not increase it......but im wondering about putting them in the MIDDLE layer of the pot??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 1999 - 2015 420Network BV | All rights reserved