*DIY* Carbon Scrubber with 6" Flange

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by whatuthinkin, Dec 24, 2009.

1. I will get a link for you when I get home but you want pellitized carbon. If you search ebay for activated carbon you will see the aquarium carbon and you will see carbon for air purification and that is what we need for proper scubbing.

Also I found a good filter to wrap the filter in. I will be updating this when I get home as well. We are having issues with our heater so we c.went to our parents to sleep last night.

2. Here is a link to the correct carbon. 10lbs of this would probably fill the filter I made and would fit a lot better. Tomorrow I am hoping to get the filter redone with the new outer filter I found. I don't think I will replace the cheese cloth as that holds everything in quite well. I will just put it over it to help re-inforce it and stop the carbon from settling hopefully. I am almost tempted to try and mount it vertical with the flange on the bottom. I am not sure about this yet but I may untill I can get the better carbon that I want.

ACTIVATED CARBON AIR SCRUBBER 10LBS CTC60 CHARCOAL - eBay (item 220530807193 end time Jan-22-10 13:11:10 PST)

3. nice tutorial thinkin!

I spent 80 bucks on a carbon sock, I should have just built my own industrial filter. Next time I will jump on the DIY bus.

4. that is one big ass home made carbon filter! +rep haha gj!

5. Thank you man. I am going to change it again actually. I think I found a better material for wrapping. Or I may even just put it over the existing wrapping. Not sure yet but I will redo the DIY once I have completed it.

6. Hey this is my last post before I get off this evening... Note that its going to get warmer soon, and the higher your filter is to the ceiling, the hotter the air will be going into the groom... Not that it really matters in an attic, but the lower few feet are always cooler than the very top of the rafters.

7. the filter goes on the exhaust pipe not the intake.

8. You are correct. I have my filter on the exhaust end of the box. A carbon filter will work best when you can push air through it vs pulling air through it.

9. Has anyone checked out the carbon filters on ebay, one co was foothills filters out of South Carolina and the other I can't remember, they both claim to be refillable. I like the plans for DIY, my concern is not being able to have an odor problem for any extended period if it doesn't work right. Just curious if anyone has ordered any of these particularly from foothills

10. what is your air intake then? And why filter used air?

11. My intake is a 6" hole on the opposite wall at the bottom of the box. It is a passive intake. I am not filtering used air. You do not need to filter the incomming air. The only reason a filter is needed is to stop the smell. And you can't stop the smell by filtering the air comming in. You have to filter the air going out.

12. so you just p our the carbon into the flange into the panyhose? what keeps it from falling back through?

13. AHHH ok... I thought everyone was doing the filter to produce clean air for the plants... OK so I was wrong, very interesting... You and me are in the same boat dude, as I am hiding this from my woman, just as you are from roomies.

I hope to have a more "up to par" grow as yours... I don't have plywood walls, although I did insulate from 6 studs, and black plasticed everything... Not enough air flow, your shit is all nice, so air tight the damn door sucks closed n shit... Mine works, and I always think "this is temporary" because there is always that possibility of something going wrong, not with the grow, but with the wrong person finding out, and its all over that quick... So I don't devote as much energy towards it as you, trying to keep the temporary mindset.

anyways enough of my blabber.
    L8r

14. I'm not hiding it from any room mates. The smell will drift from my house and cops will follow it thus gett me busted. That is why we use filters.

15. word :D

16. oh my nearist neighbor is like 100 yards away... the next neighbor is atleast 200 yards away... I can't even smell mine anywhere in the house...

17. That is now. Just wait till you have full blown budding plants. They WILL stink it up. I had 1 plant in a mini-fridge in my closet and it stank up my whole house. This isn't something I would leave up in the air. Too much at risk to get caught over something that could have easily been controlled. But that is just my viewpoint on the subject.

18. Yeah, we smoke bud in the house, it usually smells like bud, if there was ever suspicions I can always pop out the right words to sooth the situation... "We just broke some weed up 20 mins ago" blah blah...

I will def think about a carbon filter down the road... Seems like the grow gets slowed down a lot when you run out of funds...

19. The smell from growing bud vs breaking it up/smoking it is completely different. You will understand when you start growing. Breaking up/smoking bud doesn't carry away from your house but maybe a foot from the door. The smell of growing is much much more potent than smoking.

From my first hand experience with a plant that harvested 40 grams from a mini-fridge controlling the smell is one of the most important things. We couldn't have anyone over to our house during the last 3 weeks of the grow because the smell was so strong. And that was a small, not well grown, plant. When you start getting into 4 full size plants the smell is going to be crazy and it will carry from your house although I do not know how far.

20. #40 Petho1, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010