Can you clone a clone?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Damien_X, Dec 23, 2009.

1. I'm very new to growing so I apologize if this is a stupid question. Also, how many times can a plant be cloned? Thanks.

2. When you see people talking about their "mother" plants, they're talking about a clone they took from a plant that later turned into a strong female. That plant then is meant to be the mother for more clones, thus, yes, you can clone a clone.

As far as I know, any living plant can be cloned but you have to be mindful that their current condition at cloning is inherited by the clone. Thus you don't clone a flowering plant intending to make it a mother. A clone from the flowering plant would produce a flowering clone.

3. Sweet. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. cloning a clone causes genetic drift. keep a mother and clone off that

5. I thought clones were supposed to be genetically the same? So the clone from a clone will be different from the original plant that started off as a seed?

6. #6 Mr. Halide, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2009
    Hey Damien
    A donor plant from seed will give you the most vigorous cuts, but to answer your question... yes.

Many people grow this way, depending on a few factors -which I wont bore you with right now-

I personally run cuttings from cuttings, etc. for years at a time and have never experienced any problems.
    Many well known, knowledgeable and experienced breeders/growers will tell you the same.

If environmental conditions are kept dialed in constantly and consistently from crop to crop then there will be no problem maintaining the genetic integrity of that particular pheno..

To help maintain vigor, always take the next crops cuts from the best looking previous cuts, and so on.

7. They are, you are correct.

Absolutely not. If environment is kept identical from crop to crop then genetic integrity will be maintained.

8. It was told to me that the potency would decline if cloning from a clone, but I have now taken clones from clones for the past 3 grows with no problem, and you can indeed take a clone from a flowering mother, you stand better chances of the clone surviving and taking off very quickly, not to mention its much quicker than to start from seed.

9. Thanks fellas. I want to take this approach but not if it diminishes the quality or potency.

10. I had inquired about this same thing, previously.

A clone of a clone will be identical to the ORIGINAL plant. Genetics do not change down the line. I think the misconception comes from the idea that we are using computer to clone them (like we would people or dogs) but we're not.

There is no danger in cloning a clone of a clone of a clone. Just be sure to clone when the plant/branch is healthy.

Do keep in mind, that if the original plant germinated 4 years ago - the clone of a clone of a clone will also 'think' it is 4 years old.

11. Does a plant 'thinking' that it is four years old make any sort of difference?

12. I am going into year #3 of taking clones from clones (WW).

13. It sure does :) When growing with clones, the clone is considered as "mature" as the mother plant. So, when using clones from a 4 year old mother, you're clones should have offset nodes (sign of maturity) just like mom ;) You're able to flower sooner with clones, then if you were waiting for a plant to mature from seed before flowering. Hope this helps.

Good luck
    Doin'

14. So when is the best time during the grow to clone?

15. Whoa. This just through me on a whole different loop. So will there be a difference in the growing speed or quality when cloning from a 2+ year old mother or a 1 year old clone? Thanks for all this new insight.

16. I don't think so.

It is more of a matter of convenience.

Some would rather care for one mother plant and take clones then take clones from clones.

I choose not to add taking care of a mother plant on top of taking care of my grow and clones.

As far as speed of the grow, it really depends on how you nurture the clones before you stick um in the grow.

As for potency, unless you stress or take the clones and have to re veg them I don't think so either.

OT, legally, here you can have 6 in bloom and 12 in veg.

I think the mother would count as a bloom even though it isn't.

17. IMO it's easiest to take clones from a vegging plant ;) once the vegging plant has matured enough to have offset nodes. Clones from a vegging plant will root faster then a clone taken from a flowering plant - long story ;)

Not really, as long as the plant that you take clones from is mature there shouldn't really be a difference. Of course grow conditions, stress, etc...play into it as well. But, we'll just say that all is good in the grow room :)

I stuck with the 4 year old example that was used by another poster.

could you be more specific on what it is that you don't agree with at the beginning of your post please? just for the sake of clarity :) Thanks.

Also, most people replace their mother plants with clones, so they are basically cloning, clones of clones.

18. Sorry, I thought the post made that clearer.

I don't agree that taking clones of clones affects growth speed or potency, the reasons followed.

19. Cool, thanks! :)

20. That really makes me feel a lot better because even though I've read that ordering seeds and having them delivered is some what safe, I don't want to take a chance. I would much rather keep cloning from clones.

Sorry to tack on another question to this but how long can a mother plant live if it is kept on the 18/6 cycle? Also how tall would she get? I know species vary but I am now wondering if it would be possible keeping a plant growing for years on end. I'll be in a basement with 10' high ceilings.