Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Can you clone a clone?

• Please log in to reply

Damien_X

Damien_X

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
I'm very new to growing so I apologize if this is a stupid question. Also, how many times can a plant be cloned? Thanks.

Similar Topics: Can you clone a clone?     x

Postal Blowfish

Postal Blowfish

• Banned by Moderators
  • 14,597 posts
When you see people talking about their "mother" plants, they're talking about a clone they took from a plant that later turned into a strong female. That plant then is meant to be the mother for more clones, thus, yes, you can clone a clone.

As far as I know, any living plant can be cloned but you have to be mindful that their current condition at cloning is inherited by the clone. Thus you don't clone a flowering plant intending to make it a mother. A clone from the flowering plant would produce a flowering clone.

Damien_X

Damien_X

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Sweet. Thanks for the quick reply.

stopsnitchin

stopsnitchin

DTA!

• Registered Upgraded
  • 614 posts
cloning a clone causes genetic drift. keep a mother and clone off that

Damien_X

Damien_X

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
I thought clones were supposed to be genetically the same? So the clone from a clone will be different from the original plant that started off as a seed?

Mr. Halide

Mr. Halide

3000 Degrees Kelvin

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I'm very new to growing so I apologize if this is a stupid question. Also, how many times can a plant be cloned? Thanks.

Hey Damien
A donor plant from seed will give you the most vigorous cuts, but to answer your question... yes.

Many people grow this way, depending on a few factors -which I wont bore you with right now-

I personally run cuttings from cuttings, etc. for years at a time and have never experienced any problems.
Many well known, knowledgeable and experienced breeders/growers will tell you the same.

If environmental conditions are kept dialed in constantly and consistently from crop to crop then there will be no problem maintaining the genetic integrity of that particular pheno..

To help maintain vigor, always take the next crops cuts from the best looking previous cuts, and so on.

Edited by Mr. Halide, 23 December 2009 - 11:30 AM.

Mr. Halide

Mr. Halide

3000 Degrees Kelvin

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I thought clones were supposed to be genetically the same?

They are, you are correct.

So the clone from a clone will be different from the original plant that started off as a seed?

Absolutely not. If environment is kept identical from crop to crop then genetic integrity will be maintained.

thefloweringman

thefloweringman

• Registered Upgraded
  • 376 posts
It was told to me that the potency would decline if cloning from a clone, but I have now taken clones from clones for the past 3 grows with no problem, and you can indeed take a clone from a flowering mother, you stand better chances of the clone surviving and taking off very quickly, not to mention its much quicker than to start from seed.

Damien_X

Damien_X

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks fellas. I want to take this approach but not if it diminishes the quality or potency.

Chickadie

Chickadie

Addicted to Grasscity

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,820 posts
I had inquired about this same thing, previously.

A clone of a clone will be identical to the ORIGINAL plant. Genetics do not change down the line. I think the misconception comes from the idea that we are using computer to clone them (like we would people or dogs) but we're not.

There is no danger in cloning a clone of a clone of a clone. Just be sure to clone when the plant/branch is healthy.

Do keep in mind, that if the original plant germinated 4 years ago - the clone of a clone of a clone will also 'think' it is 4 years old.

Damien_X

Damien_X

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Do keep in mind, that if the original plant germinated 4 years ago - the clone of a clone of a clone will also 'think' it is 4 years old.

Does a plant 'thinking' that it is four years old make any sort of difference?

jollyrancher1

jollyrancher1

Silver member

• Silver Member
  • 1,745 posts

doinYODA

doinYODA

Learning to dance in the rain

• 10,575 posts

Guest_SaulSilver1_*

Guest_SaulSilver1_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In
So when is the best time during the grow to clone?

Damien_X

Damien_X

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

It sure does :) When growing with clones, the clone is considered as "mature" as the mother plant. So, when using clones from a 4 year old mother, you're clones should have offset nodes (sign of maturity) just like mom ;) You're able to flower sooner with clones, then if you were waiting for a plant to mature from seed before flowering. Hope this helps.

Good luck
Doin'

Whoa. This just through me on a whole different loop. So will there be a difference in the growing speed or quality when cloning from a 2+ year old mother or a 1 year old clone? Thanks for all this new insight.

jollyrancher1

jollyrancher1

Silver member

• Silver Member
  • 1,745 posts

doinYODA

doinYODA

• 10,575 posts

jollyrancher1

jollyrancher1

Silver member

• Silver Member
  • 1,745 posts

doinYODA

doinYODA

• 10,575 posts

Damien_X

Damien_X

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Sorry, I thought the post made that clearer.

I don't agree that taking clones of clones affects growth speed or potency, the reasons followed.

That really makes me feel a lot better because even though I've read that ordering seeds and having them delivered is some what safe, I don't want to take a chance. I would much rather keep cloning from clones.

Sorry to tack on another question to this but how long can a mother plant live if it is kept on the 18/6 cycle? Also how tall would she get? I know species vary but I am now wondering if it would be possible keeping a plant growing for years on end. I'll be in a basement with 10' high ceilings.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users