when does growing season start for outdoors growing?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by riffletoke420, Dec 20, 2009.

1. i live in wv by the way i think that with global warming and all going on changes the time to grow but anyways when is a good time to start growing outdoors and tips or experiacne with outdoors growing would be nice mabey some pictures of "someone else's crop";)

its been good so far but this war isnt over yet.
    "mcriffle"

2. Any growing season start with Sticky threads and Search button.

3. You can pretty much start growing outdoors anytime after the last frost of the season... for my region, mid eastern usa, this weather site I saw said the last frost should be around april 10th, even though the spring starts march 20th...

If it's warm year round your plants can pretty much grow throughout the entire year... even if it's flowering season.... If it's flowering season plants will still force them selves to veg till maturity... because if they haven't reached maturity it's impossible for them to flower.

4. I live on the Oh and Wv boarder. I always plant sometime in late april. Alot of times I will talk to the local farmers when I go to get my vegetable plants for the garden at my local nursery. They will always no whats up with the current weather. I do know that you can late plant till the middle of july but they will be short plants. I have a friend who grows early girl and he starts indoors on march 31st and harvests outdoors on July 31st. 120 days total but they are autoflowering plants. I myself plant as early as possible and harvest as late as possible. The year before last I had some nice 12 foot sativas that had really dark red hairs. It was a good year! Last summer ( 09 ) I didnt grow but the weather conditions in this area were perfect for growing. Good luck and lets meet here next fall and trade pics. I will be giving it my all this year for sure.

5. /Thread

Oh and it starts 2 to 3 weeks into spring.

6. if I put a heater in my greenhouse could I start early march? cheers Aesopero

7. plants can skip vegetative stage and flower when immature. i have at least one or two do that each spring i when i move them from a 16 hour day indoors to a 13 hour day outside. they start flowering when as small as 8 inches. they never recover and they get thinned out.

plants also not only need a certain number of hours of light they need a minimum intensity of light. i live in socal where it is warm enough to grow year around but plants shut down during short days of low light intensity. it just isn't worth it.

a heater in a greenhouse set up about early april using natural daylight length would be a better set up than moving from a long light period to a shorter light period like i do. i always overplant anyway and have to destroy plants if they don't fit in for security reasons anyway. i set clones mid april but i have an extra long growing season.

ski stoned

8. Just keep an eye on the corn/agriculture fields when the corn goes in so does others. In a season corn will grow 6-9 feet tall.

9. #9 Deleted member 830888, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015

Nope.  They'll live, but they won't amount to anything more than a preview of the strain and lessons learned in how to grow, dry and cure. 

I live in southern California in the best weather in the world (usually about 70 degrees, though climate change started fucking shit up back in the '90's) and have been growing for months now and I'm getting half foot tall plants that go into flower so fast it's impossible to mainline.  The minute there's enough nodes to top it you're in flower with trichomes and preflowers showing.

I've been told that the growing season goes from March until October.

Edit: You think half foot tall plants are small?  Try the REALLY small ones that got hit hard by fungus gnat larvae.  Never over water.

I water every 5 days now.

So... why'd you dig this thread up? 

I have a tendency to add my 2 cents to ancient threads just for the sake of supplying relevant information to people who find the thread years down the road like myself through search engines.

A thread never really dies as long as it's indexed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fair enough, just wasn't sure what you were getting at. Are you talking about re-vegging, or...? 

13. neem oil soil drenchs or skeeter dunks will take care of the fungas gants or u can get some nematodes. i havent bought the nematodes yet though just skeeter dunks and neem oil & meal + karanja oil and meals will work great..i hate those littler fuckers..they costed me crop after crop in the early part of the season when i had seedlings..im a guerilla grower so have no control over the water when it rains like hell

14. http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-medical-marijuana-growing/1265327-so-cal-growers-unite.html/page-321
    That's the So Cal thread drop by and we'll show you some tricks.. We do outside growing year round in a couple of different ways.. Your getting tiny plants because your not vegging them long enough or at all.. Keep them under additional lights in any number of ways till they are taller and you'll get a decent harvest most any time of the year.. I've got some staying in veg under some solar lights in the yard and the rest in boxes full of CFLs or under a T5HO in a garden shed.. Veg till they are 24 inches or better and you'll finish with a 3 to 5 footer..
    This was taken on the 10th and they are into the light now..
    [​IMG]

Nope.  I was just telling the person who needs to know that growing out of season without supplemental lighting just doesn't work.  Unless, of course, you're learning or want to find out what a given strain is like before the growing season.

Thanks man but I have it taken care of with diatomaceous earth and hydrogen peroxide.  Just drop a handful of DE on your dirt and BAM: those insects abandon their feast almost instantaneously.

Seriously though.... I've been told that DE, while safe to humans and other larger creatures, is deadly to exoskeleton insects.  The powder is sharp on a level small enough to bypass our flesh but puncture a small insect's exoskeleton and drain its body of essential fluids.  I swear those fungus gnats know what they're dealing with because they just took off instead of sticking around to mess with the now-powdered dirt.

I feel you man.  I essentially lost 3 plants to the fungus gnat larvae.  They didn't actually die, they just grow 3 inches tall and no more.  It's quite pathetic.

I do have one excellent, thick, full female growing however and I'm quite pleased with it.  Too bad it's still super small compared to a proper, in season plant.

Hey thanks a lot man!  I appreciate it.

I've been thinking about supplemental lighting outdoors but figure I need a greenhouse.  That will run me probably $2,000 or more so I doubt I'll be getting into that.

However, it may be possible to plant in a pot, mainline it to size for the root system's room to grow being limited and bring the plant/s up to the porch after sunset for supplemental CFL lights I can hang off the wall of my house.

16. ya the DE works from what i have read as well..i have never tried it though and the skeeter dunks was alot cheaper for me lol i would like to try the nematodes at some point though bc not only kills fungas gant larva it kills around 230 more things that gets in the soil..from my understanding they are like the Terminator in the soil lol anything comes in there that lays any sort of egg or soft bodied creature it tears them all to hell..ever year i would have some the best looking plants growing well leaves sticking st8 up reaching for the sun then next day or 2 when i would go back to my plot to water they would be wilted..i was stumped on it and couldnt figure it out..they would tunnel into my stalk at the base and turn it into mush..
    they are like little lumber jacks!! for 2-3 years this shit went on and each time they killed the plant i would turn the soil up and see little things like maggots in there..i had no ideal what they was just thought they come thur the ground some how and got my plants..i finally identified what they was last year by scrolling infirmarys on here and other sites and someone else had a pic of those little bastards posted and i knew that moment there what they was..i know where i got them from now as well it was from using miracle gro potting mix lol..i live way out in the country and a hydro shop is no where to be found here unless i drive 2hrs 1 way to a bigger city..this year though i did make that drive and i loaded up on happy frog and ocean forest..
    i got the bags outside right now and its -17f here right now so if they are any eggs in those they will be dead..everthing i do this year will be about prevention..i had a nite mare of a year grow last year! dealing with fungas gants,bud rot,wrong strain choice and rippers..i only started ordering seeds about 4 yrs ago and all these problems started to pop up was doing local stuff before but those are reg seeds and i never knew if what it would be bc i would get seeds from old timers around here..some years it was awesome some not so much,so when i found fems i havent looked back since bc in the bush its hard ass work to have to pull half..i did alot more research last year after the season on strains,prevention methods and soil biology..that being said the delahaze is the best strain that i have ran outdoors..it dont rot at all even last year we had the wettest summer and fall ever here in south east usa..i realized though that my strain choices of the previous years was my down fall..i was trying Ogkush,chemdog,diseals and everthing that u are not suppose to run outdoors lol..i got caught up in the hype bc of all these strains i have seen and read about was now avaliable to me..this year it will be all outdoor strains that has been proven and tested by many growers and of course my lovely delahaze along with good soil and nutes..here is a pic of my delahaze! these pics was taken on sept 20th i chopped her on oct 5th..its a breeze to trim,potent,huge yeilds and great flavor and taste..i got just shy of 15oz off this one

Attached Files:

17. While they didn't quite do the job for our shortest days my solar lights are back at holding a few plants in veg..

[​IMG]

It's got a dual lower setting of 35 lumens @ 10 hours that I'm using..

[​IMG]

The drawback is they are a bit pricy at about 40 bucks each.. A cheaper way is just clamp light and a low watt CFL.. All you need is just enough to keep them awake at night..

OMG thanks man!  This will help a LOT because I cannot afford a typical indoor grower's electricity bill and also I require too much wiring to do CFLs on all my plants that will be in the backyard.   This is the perfect solution.  Thanks.

I learned from a post on Facebook by Ed Rosenthal that to prevent mold you spray a mixture of one tablespoon postassium bicarbonate or baking soda to one quart of water and spraying your plants down with this mixture will raise their alkalinity to where any kind of mold cannot live.

That's an interesting story.  I am looking forward to the growing season this year and I am going to try to grow some monster plants.  I'm going to let them grow as big as they can!  None of this topping business except for the ones in the pots that I don't think have enough room for the root system necessary to not be topped and mainlined.

I am a total beginner but I have been growing test plants for months now, a total of... 12 in various numbers at differing times.  All regular seed and non-feminized but that will change once I receive my shipment from Herbie's of 5 Greenhouse Seeds Pure Kush feminized seeds, 5 CBD Crew Mango Haze feminizeds along with some free seeds of 1 World of Seeds Strawberry Blue feminized and 5 regular "Afghani" seeds of no mentioned breeder in the description.

19. ya i got a product called "Greencure" and that is the active ingrediant in it but i learn about about it till mid sept last year.. it did stop the mold in its tracks and let me finish flowering out a few strains,but i was already infected and had lost quite a few to rot by time i did learn Gc worked..after further review it works better as a preventative spray so i will be all over that this year..alot of ppl talk shit about GHS but my fav strain of all time is thur GHS the super lemon haze and their prices are very affordable..i got the church this year from them since its mold resistant and big producer..if u do have to use greencure dont use 1 tablespoon..when i did it last year it roasted my hairs on the plant..it didnt hurt it though other then that and it keep on growing..the rec dose from other users that i have now found out is 1/2 tablespoon so i will test that out next year come flower time..i also have Wos strawberry blue freebie..the strain im going with this year is delahaze,jacky white,sweet purple,easy sativa,serious 6,biddy early,heribei,early skunk, blueberry headband,rotten panda, frisien dew, Wos amnesia and critical super silver haze..only one im gonna top this year is the delahaze and thats only bc i grew it now for 3 years and know how it will respond..the others i have only read reviews about in the outdoor sections of the canna fourms and i dont like to top a plant if i have never grew it..nice selection u got btw..we all was once a new grower just like u..nothing more fun and amazeing taking a little seed and growing it to a 12-13 foot beast

20. #20 Deleted member 830888, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

Thanks man.  It's so awesome to have all these different strains to pick from.  Right now it's critical that I grow some CBD cannabis as my uncle is in the later stages of Parkinson's and we gotta get him eating some decarboxylated CBD extract (with that CBD Crew awesomeness of enough THC to catch a buzz too).

That is an amazing selection of strains you're getting into!  I'm really enjoying the Reeferman Genetics (another trash-talked breeder, I know) Purple Krown X Columbian Purple Haze that I have growing out there.  Its got this AMAZING smell to it and I am determined to breed my own strain with it.

I'm thinking this strain crossed with DJ Short Blueberry, if I can ever get my hands on the seeds.  They are ALWAYS sold out across the entire Internet and they are TOP DOLLAR (what is it, $140 for 10 or 11 regular seeds????).

As for the Pure Kush I've already grown a few of those from clone and it, too has a great smell to it.  But this is, of course, the smell it has while growing and I don't know what either strain will smell like after curing.

Edit:  Where I really need work is in drying and curing.  That is a process that is almost impossible to nail your first try without scientific instruments as I have noticed that what tends to happen is you dry the bud hanging until it feels crispy, jar it, next day  it's all wet again and you dry it more, jar it, wet again, dry again, BAM: the bud is totaled and too dry to cure.