Does marijuana kill/grow brain cells? YOU DECIDE!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Ras Jaycee, Dec 16, 2009.

1. #1 Ras Jaycee, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
    We all know that the old 'Marijuana kills brain cells' is stemed from a false study conducted in the 50's on monkeys, and they cut off oxygen supply to the monkey, therefor killing there brain cells.

But new research may show that Cannabis use may do the exact opposite

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMMQcUEtYBo&feature=sub]YouTube - PROOF, IF YOU SMOKE POT YOU WILL BE SMARTER![/ame]

But wait, some people still claim it kills brain cells not because of marijuana, but the properties of smoke (but wont if you vaporize or eat)

Personally I think it can create new brain cells.
    But what do you think GC?

2. I dont think it will make you smarter... Wont harm you either though. Though I will say my short term memory is fuckin shot.

3. It effects short-term memory, but doesn't kill brain cells....HOWEVER due to how people inhale (hold in) you DO kill braincells due to depravation of oxygen.

4. Had an argument with this friend of mine that drinks everyday. I told him he's not going to have a liver by age 30 and he's like "well, atleast I'll have brain cells!" then I linked him to a website that talked about how weed can actually stimulate cell growth and he never replied back. He can keep killing his brain cells and liver while I enjoy my herb (when I have some) lol.

5. i think it just messes with your short term memory, other then that its harmless IMO.

6. My brain cells are alive and vibrant

7. Does anyone realize how many brain cells the human brain contains, and how many it loses to deprivation of oxygen when smoking? Here's the run down, the human brain contains more than a trillion brain cells. If you lose 1 brain cell out of those trillions of brain cells, you're definitely going to suffer. Your kids will be autistic. Your balls will start to shrivel, and your IQ will drop to that of a tuna sandwich. Not only this, you will develop Alzheimer's, schizophrenia, and other horrible diseases.

That is all.

Do not use cannabis. For it is one of the most, if not, dangerous plants in the world.

8. i loved that last part, great job. You have stopped me from smoking for the rest of my life.

9. I smell sarcasm.

10. damn this is very interesting and great news...Great find by OP

11. #11 Green Wizard, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
    It has to kill some brain cells. I think in the pre frontal lobe region that governs memory. Take one big rip off the bong from some super sticky, tricrome smothered nug and try and tell me it doen't kill brain cells, if you could even put that sentence together.

Reason why we have so many brain cells to begin with is because nature figured out through evolution that we'd lose some brain cells throughout the course of our lives. So we've got some back ups if we take a couple lumps on the head, or bong rips.

12. Do you not take oxygen in at the same time with your hit?

13. I suppose some but not as much as you take in with a regular breath...I wasn't saying it kills a significant amount of brain cells, just that it DOES kill some and that fact may to lead to people believing it kills a significant amount...

14. so wouldn't holding your breath under water be worse for your brain...or just holding your breath in general

15. reminds me of the old anti-drug comercials with the egg on the pan cooking.
    :smoke:
    don't know about you, but I like my eggs scrambled.

16. With no middle option, I choose 'grow', as it certainly doesn't suppress braincell growth. But it's all ridiculous; we have far more brain cells than we need and brain cells are some of the only cells in the body that don't divide themselves. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe brain cells lasts all your life, most of them anyway. Now what really matters is the brain cells' ability to store "data", how well signals can be transmitted and the brain's ability to send signals to the right location..

17. Stop saying that you kill brain cells by holding your hits. Unless you hit your hit long enough to feel light headed/pass out a bunch of times then you aren't even effecting them. Think of all the swimmers and such that can hold their breath for a very long time and aren't effected.

18. If Cannabis killed a significant amount of braincells the media would be ALL on that.
    As I dont certainly dont think anything in cannabis makes you lose braincells, But I do think that SMOKE (Any sort of smoke) can kill a SMALL amount (when i mean small i mean SMALL) So small that if you smoked 24/7 all day everyday no significant amount of braincells would be lost. So it doesnt make since to say 'Smoking weed kills brain cells'.

19. I don't know (and really don't care) if cannabis stimulates growth of my brain cells.

It stimulates and expands my MIND, and that's what matters most to me.

20. First of all, you don't need to hold in hits for very long. Conservative estimates are around 3-4 seconds. Its no more harmful to your brain cells than breathing slowly.

Secondly, it stimulates NERVE CELL growth. This has very little to do with intelligence. It basically just makes you more sensitive.

Thirdly, its synthetic. The real cannabinoids may have slightly different effects, probably varying mostly in intensity.

And finally, the government no longer claims that marijuana kills brain cells.