why is everyone so afraid of death??

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Stoogemeister, Dec 16, 2009.

1. #21 See Emily Play, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
    Same reason as me:D

I think, when we die, we decompose and get eaten by worms. I don't think anything magical or spiritual happens -- One day we're here; and the next we aren't.

In a more biological sense we never really "die" because those worms feed birds who help spread seeds which grow into trees and so on. Death is necessary for life.

The main thing that scares me after death, is not having a consciousness. Not being able to touch, see, smell, hear, think or perceive. Without any consciousness, we cease to exist. After death, we cease to exist, and eventually everyone will forget about us and it will be as if we never even existed in the first place.

For every one person we remember today (Martin Luther King), there are a million (maybe billions?) that we'll never know existed, and not particularly care (Hell, I don't know anything about my great-great-great grandmother).

If I knew I'd be remembered like Marilyn Monroe or Janis Joplin, I wouldn't be as afraid.

Now, being part of that lost, forgotten billion? That's scary.:eek:

2. I'd like to have one freaking day without pain before I die, that would be nice. Then I can die.:cool:

3. I admit I do not know. I am un-afraid but I also worry because I know those I leave behind will be hurt by it.

I think people "dislike" death because of the way it affects those around us, not so much because of what will/won't happen to us personally.

4. maybe because they know theyve lived like everyday was their last and indulged in the reality given to us. maybe theyre afraid of what is to come. unknown or known.

the real question is: why are most people afraid to admit the truth?

5. I'm afraid of not knowing whether there is an afterlife...and therefore maybe a negative afterlife such as the notion of hell. Then the possibility that I will go there.

I don't understand or know the meaning of life, therefore I don't know if I'm living up to what I should be..

6. I'm afraid of dieing because I'm still young (22) and haven't accomplished a whole lot. I want to have a family and kids an shit before I die.

7. "I'm not afraid of dying, anytime will do. I don't mind. Why should I be afraid of dying? There's no reason for it. You've gotta go sometime."

8. I'm not sure "everyone" is afraid of death. I notice some folks talk about fear of pain but pain is for the living. Many people here are in pain everyday and live with it. Yeah, I know there are a painful ways of dying, in a fire or from terminal cancer. But that pain would be short or mitigated with drugs.

The reasons people are afraid of death have already been expressed. Fear of the unknown or, for Believers, fear of not going to heaven. The eternal question has always been "what happens when I die?" That's a question that leads directly to fear and has been used by religions to manipulate and control people for thousands of years.

Personally, I am not afraid of death. I'll go kicking and screaming but only because I prefer life. But I tend to think of death as eternal dreamless sleep. Once the brain stops functioning, that's it. The end.

9. im not afraid of death simply because i came into this body as an astral being from above. its just one of those things that some people "know". also anybody find it funky that during a dream if you get hurt enough or scared you flick back to this reality? maybe that could be the real reality. this is just the escape and theres no escaping this escape except for death. or what they call death..
    all this stuff we have has all been formed to help keep the hologram of life intact. i think its all bullshit though. one day everyone will wake up

10. Death is only painful for the living.

11. Death is an exciting moment in one's life.

12. Jah, you get a nice dose of that natural DMT to send you along your way.:D

13. lol yay free DMT

14. Because people don't know what's "on the other side". . . .

People are naturally afraid of the unknown. I don't think that there is anything beyond death, and I would like to live much longer and experience this reality while it still lasts...

15. Why don't you think there is anything beyond death? Is it because nature is a brutal mofo and things die/get eaten all the time and theres nothing magical about a corpse?

Do you have peace in your life with that perception?
    With death being your complete end of the road, what's the point in you struggling through life?
    How do you stop that from killing your ambition?

Fun fun topics :)

I'm just asking because I'm curious how you see things. No rights or wrongs here.

16. its not so much death its self its Humans don't like pain so there's one reason and because the thought of leaving everyone you love is pretty overwhelming im not afraid of death its im afraid of losing my Family, Girlfriend, Friends

Peace

17. Agreed with Philan and YEM.

Think about it - you know that you don't remember what happened when you were a baby. You cant possibly remember before that. Now, observing how the universe is just a bunch of consciousness, who says that you simply won't start again, totally forgetting the past last. Moving through the fourth and fifth (time and space) dimensions as opposed to just the third.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsgoXvnStY]YouTube - Imagining the Tenth Dimension (annotated)[/ame]

How can this movie possibly end if it only exists through consciousness?

Consciousness = energy. Energy can be neither created nor destroyed.

How does consciousness end?

:wave:

18. No offence but to me that theory is just like religion. Just another way to cope with the fact that when we die it's just like when we sleep "blank".

19. #39 *ColtClassic*, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
    I don't think that our consciousness extends beyond our current understanding of mortality...

(In the sense that consciousness is dependent upon physical means of delivery)

There are trillions of atoms that are arranged in order for us to become a vessel of consciousness. Once we die, this arrangement is non-functional and we return to an inanimate state.

It doesn't matter whether or not I am at peace with this concept. People are brutally murdered and raped everyday and it is never dependent upon whether or not I am at peace with it happening. I have to just accept that death is a great unknown. I only like to base my concepts of reality upon what I have observed/know (at least, think I know). Death is something that is completely foreign to me . . . .

I don't think it should 'kill' ambition, but rather supplies great incentive to accomplish things while we are still living and capable of accomplishing....

If we all considered death as a great undoing of the purpose of life, then there would be no purpose to living.

Life is only in short allowance, and by knowing this we must accept every moment we have as precious.

What's the point of struggling through life?

There is no point in struggling, however sometimes life itself is simply a struggle. As to what the reasons are for dealing with this struggle? I think that is answered in the above text . . .

:gc_rocks:

20. That's a very complex question. I don't believe there is any one answer. I believe one's fear of death depends on aspects of one's personality.

I, myself, am not afraid of death any longer. I see it as liberation. Like my favourite movie, the Fountain, says, "Death is the road to awe."