Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Cannabutter: Trim/Water Ratio Question

• Please log in to reply

i win again

i win again

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello,
I am new to cooking with Herb and I was wondering the ratio of Water:Trim I should use for a tasty batch of Cannabutter, when using the crock-pot method? I have done a lot of the double boiler method and I like the effect, but I feel as if the slow-cooker would be better fitting for my needs. Thanks a lot for your input!:D

countzer0

countzer0

• Registered Upgraded
  • 669 posts
The amount of water doesn't matter as it will be separated later.
Use enough to float the material. You don't want it to touch the bottom. I would day 2-3 cups minimum depending...

i win again

i win again

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you very much for the info! I'll let you know how the butter comes out.

i win again

i win again

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey guys, so its hour 17 and I was just posting a progress report:

1 lbs European Butter
2 oz Trim (Mid)
6 cup H20

Temp: 192F

Last night I had a watery, green batch of pretty and this morning I came downstairs to a dark green, bubbling stew. I was just wondering if its usual to have bubbles breaking through the mixture. I know that this is a usual occurrence in regular slow-cooking but I have heard that the bubbles are a sign of the mixture being too hot. I have a lower setting on the crock-pot but I usually reserve that for keeping food warm rather than cooking. Any comments? Thanks! :D

PS. Sorry for the lack of pics. A friend borrowed my camera.

rubbs

rubbs

VISCA EL BARCA

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,838 posts
Ive never made cannabuter with that much trim(2oz), so I dont really know.
the bubbles mean that the water is evaporating. you should cool it down a bit.

how much cannabutter are you expecting to get?

i win again

i win again

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I put a 1 lbs. in and was hoping to get as much as possible. The trim was finely ground. I was trying to make this butter as strong as possible. Okay I just turned the crock-pot to warm and the bubbles slowed a bit. I also added a couple of tbsp of h2o.

Edited by i win again, 15 December 2009 - 06:38 PM.

rubbs

rubbs

VISCA EL BARCA

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,838 posts
With that much trim you should expect great cannabuter:hello:
What are you going to bake with it? im interested.
Got any special recipe?

I love edibles:D

i win again

i win again

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks! Well I am going to make some killer shortbread cookies with cinnamon and reduced (herb) strawberries to make a "strawberry shortcake" wanna-be. I just don't want to fuck this shit up by burning it (epic cooking failure!)

rubbs

rubbs

VISCA EL BARCA

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,838 posts
sounds good.
Do tell me how they taste when you try them:cool:

i win again

i win again

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh for sure. This is my new profession so I should be on here a lot and I will post pics shortly (2 days). Thanks a lot for your help. :D

Edited by i win again, 15 December 2009 - 06:52 PM.
spelling....fucking stoner

Caprican

Caprican

Edibles & Vape Advocate

• Bronze Member
  • 1,021 posts

i win again

i win again

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well with the economy in a steady and incessant decline, I have lost my job. I had a friend who already grows and had a bunch of extra trim lying around. So here I am. I would like to eventually get my recipes down to be able to predict the effects (I made some mellow candies that would produce a totally workable body high.)

This butter is made from Hash Plant trim mixed with a little Crystal trim (some WW / Northern Lights Cross-strain).

I have a couple of Pyrex bread pans that work great for butter/h20 disassociation and collection.

As far as recreational vs. medical... I have panic attacks and am legally allowed to have herb (helped me kick the Xanex my dumb-fuck doctor prescribed me.)

Caprican

Caprican

Edibles & Vape Advocate

• Bronze Member
  • 1,021 posts

i win again

i win again

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yea I don't really like the heavy high sativa strains because I like to do shit when I'm high! Haha (Although I am planning on making some killer couch riders!) I actually don't live in CA, I live in Las Vegas, where a card is obtainable, but no dispensories!

countzer0

countzer0

• Registered Upgraded
  • 669 posts
I do overnight, 8-15 hrs on low.

I dont think it hurt on high, just higher chance of lossing enough water to scorch, but if you started with enough water you should be fine.

In my case I want the strongest possible edible, so what i do is start with all my material, 2-3 ounces, and 1 stick. I then do it again with the same material. I usually get 2-3 sticks of the strongest possible butter ( you can share a cookie with 3 folks and everyone will be fucked) and another 2-3 sticks of so-so butter ( each person needs 2-3 edibles) .

I use the strong butter for larger batch items ie brownies where i get 2 dozen from a batch or sugar cookies where i get almost 3 dozen from a 1 stick batch.

Doing it this way will get the most out of your material but you will have to sample 1 edible per stick to determine when youve got everything from your material.

Also be sure to rinse your cloth with the herb in it with fresh warm water at the end to get anything left stuck to the cloth and herb.

I use the so-so butter on butter rich recipies, where you get a dozen or less items per stick of butter.

In my experience having a weak edible will turn people off to the edible experience. Allot of folk dont like the taste and wont want to eat 3 of something. Some folks are overly cautious and will break it in half and eat half now and another half in a few hours. So a weak edible will not adequately buzz these folk.

i win again

i win again

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks a lot for the cooking info, I'm very sure I'll use it. What do you usually make with the weaker butter? I was thinking the weak butter might be better in something where the smell/taste can be masked, but I don't know exactly what. Also I was wondering if you can use the "second-stage" material for an oil extraction and if so how good is the oil?

countzer0

countzer0

• Registered Upgraded
  • 669 posts
I make something that takes more butter per unit, like butter mini muffins (2 sticks for 12 muffins), or lately i have been doing butter creme icing that way i can just load alot of icing on store bought baked goods to save time.

i win again

i win again

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Fantastic idea. A butter-cream icing is super easy as well. Thanks!

Caprican

Caprican

Edibles & Vape Advocate

• Bronze Member
  • 1,021 posts

Caprican

Caprican

Edibles & Vape Advocate

• Bronze Member
  • 1,021 posts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users